Tires ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tires ? within the New England States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey people - new to the forum and just buying my 1st WRX. Can anyone tell me how important it ...

Tires ?

Hey people - new to the forum and just buying my 1st WRX. Can anyone tell me how important it is to switch out to snow tires for the NE winter? And since I assume you will say yes, what tires you recommend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It is very important. I run blizzaks...A lot of people don't like them but I have been happy with them for 3 Maine winters now. That being said, I will be getting Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 for my next set.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing wrong with Blizzaks... they're just very pricey.

They FAR outperform other snow tires for about 2000 miles, then the special compound wears down and they perform like any other winter tire
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I have one winter on general altimax arctic snows. They work great here in CT. and are one of the least expensive. I got caught last Oct. 30th in an early snow storm and let me tell you these cars with summer tires get no traction at all.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

summer tires in snow = ruh roh

As I suspected.....I did run Blizzaks on my Volvo S40 and they were v good. Anyone know where I might get a reasonable deal on a set of winter wheels?

I Support ClubWRX
    Tire rack. Or google them and search around.

Discount tire direct has free shipping or try eBay. I picked up some Goodyear ultra grip ice tires for a good price. Never has winter tires before so it will be nice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, most town fair tires will match any low online price and then do free mounting/balancing.

If you want good cheap tires, go for General Altimax Artics. Not sure which gen you have, but if you have the newer gens, I would pick up a set of wheels from the older gen wrxs(16inch) and slap the Generals on there.

Reason why I say 16 is because tires are cheaper and you get more sidewall.

Look around junk yards or shops that buy damaged cars with good tires. They usually sell parts for really cheap.

I got a set of 16s (wheels and winter tires) from an older wrx for my 2011 wrx for around 120
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

I just ordered Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires. They are rated really well and have great reviews! I will let you know how they are!

I was over in this other tire thread

Winter/Snow Tires

And mentioned that I got a set of Forester 16" wheels for $120, General Arctics for $200 (used, lots of tread), and had them mounted for $450 total.

The wheels look great and drive great too. No complaints and no need to go with "steelies" or spending hundreds on new wheels.

Happy to see a "New England Region" here in the forum and plan to be more active in that subset!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.