Subaru WRX Forum banner

OFFICIAL 2008 Impreza Information Thread

97K views 398 replies 84 participants last post by  riktravel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm opening a new thread where people can get info about the new model. The old thread has served it's purpose, but it's basically 36+ pages of conjecture and photoshops.

Only officially released info and pics here, please. :) -- Ray

um, ta da?

all taken from this thread on NASIOC: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230550&page=9

See less See more
#2 ·
YBNormal said:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120172
What is it?
2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

What's special about it?
By the time the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX makes its way to the U.S. later this year, much of the whining about its conservative styling will have subsided. The WRX die-hards will have calmed down, put their blue-and-gold socks back on and started to appreciate the 2008 Impreza's modest improvements.

The rest of the car-buying public will probably take notice, too. A much improved interior, additional features and a new hatchback body style to go along with the standard sedan should give this Impreza considerably more mainstream appeal than its predecessor.

Courting mainstream buyers has led Subaru to focus its engineering resources on improved packaging and build quality instead of higher-horsepower engines and more complex transmissions. The result is an Impreza lineup with more spacious, higher-quality interiors powered by carryover engines hooked to four- and five-speed transmissions.

Most of the extra interior room comes from a wheelbase that's 3.7 inches longer. There are also an extra 2 inches of living space between the doors, although the exterior width is unchanged. The hatchback is 1.7 inches shorter in overall length than the wagon it replaces, while the sedan measures 4.9 inches longer than its predecessor. Both are expected to arrive with fractionally reduced curb weights.

A tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel makes getting comfortable in the driver seat easier than before. We also sat in the backseat of the hatchback with the driver seat adjusted for a 6-footer. There's plenty of knee and toe room to sit comfortably, but it's the increased headroom that really makes this Impreza feel bigger inside.

Higher-quality materials are used throughout and the overall dash design is similar to the good-looking layout in the Tribeca . It's a relatively simple setup that maintains the Impreza's standard three-dial climate-control arrangement and clear analog dials. A navigation system finally makes its way onto the options sheet of the WRX, along with Subaru's electronic stability control system.

In addition to the extra passenger room, a new double-wishbone rear suspension helps clear some room in the cargo area, too. Open up the hatch and the suspension struts no longer poke their way into the available loading space. The sedan's trunk is positively huge for a midsize four-door, although Subaru didn't give us any hard numbers. The front suspension is an almost direct carryover from the current Legacy setup. Standard Imprezas will get 16-inch wheels, while the higher-performance WRX models will get 17-inch wheels with 205/50R17 Bridgestone RE92A tires at each corner.

Enthusiasts hoping to see big power gains will be disappointed. Both the base model Impreza and the more powerful Impreza WRX models will use carryover engines with minimal upgrades. The turbocharged 2.5-liter engine in the WRX will continue with roughly 225 horsepower and 226 pound-feet of torque, but more of that torque will arrive earlier. A five-speed manual remains the standard transmission and a four-speed automatic is optional.

Subaru has been tight-lipped about changes to the all-wheel-drive system. It has promised some improvements, but provided no details on what to expect. Same goes for the steering, although a quicker ratio is confirmed. No word on any upgrades for the brakes and we don't expect any. Additional details will be released as the car gets closer to its on-sale date in the fall. An ultrahigh-performance STI version will debut around that time and go on sale early next year.

What's Edmunds' take?
A lack of new engines and conservative styling makes this a tough sell to the Impreza faithful. The much broader audience of compact sedan and hatchback buyers, however, are likely to find this more grown-up Impreza more appealing than its predecessor. — Ed Hellwig, Senior Editor

#3 · (Edited)
www.Subaru.com has an official microsite w/ pics and some info.

Body Styles
  • 4-door 5 passenger
  • 5-door, 5 passenger
Engine 4-cyl. horizontally opposed (Boxer), double overhead-cam (DOHC), turbocharged/intercooled
Displacement 2.5 liter
Horsepower 224 @ 5,200 rpm
Torque 226 @ 2,800 rpm
Drivetrain Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive standard
Transmission
  • 5-speed manual transmission
  • 4-speed electronic automatic with SPORTSHIFT manual control
Chassis Unitized body construction with Ring-Frame Reinforced structure
Suspension 4-wheel independent
Front Strut-type with lower L-arm
Rear Double wishbone with upper A-arm
Brakes Power assisted 4-wheel disc with 4-channel, 4-sensor anti-lock brake system (ABS) and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
Steering Rack-and-pinion with power assist
Wheels 17 x 7.0JJ aluminum alloy
Tires 205/50 R17 all-season

Exterior Dimensions

Wheelbase 103.1 in. (2,620 mm)
Length
  • 4-door: 180.3 in. (4,580 mm)
  • 5-door: 173.8 in. (4,415 mm)
Height 58.1 in. (1,475 mm)
Width 68.5 in. (1,740 mm)

Fuel Capacity 16.9 gal.
Curb Weight
  • 5-speed manual: 3,142 lbs. (1,425 kg)
  • 4-speed automatic: 3,208 lbs. (1,455 kg)

Fuel Efficiency TBD [said to be better than previous models]

#4 ·
Feel free to discuss as well.
I for one am excited at the prospect of steering wheel controls for things. I got used to that in my G35, and have missed it a little in my wagon. Optional factory nav is kinda cool, too.

Still not sure about the looks. Some angles are more appealing than others. The crease down the side doesn't bother me the way it does some other people.

#5 ·
Feel free to discuss as well.
I for one am excited at the prospect of steering wheel controls for things.

Still not sure about the looks. Some angles are more appealing than others. The crease down the side doesn't bother me the way it does some other people.
I agree 100% about steering wheel controls. I used to work part time while in classes in college for an Audi dealership driving their cars sometimes for 4 hours at a time and I got very used to them. But then I would get into my WRX and go to hit the wheel and of course, nothing there.

I like the looks and await the STI.

#6 · (Edited)
I to enjoy the steering controls and the optional Nav. I hope they offer these as "options" and not as some package as I hate how Subaru likes to "package" things.

Even if they brought over the detuned legacy motor why detune it? I know they dont want to bridge that STI gap but give this car a fighting chance for it's price range. There are plenty of 24,000 and under cars selling with six speed and 200+ hp. I am also eagerly awaiting the first company to offer dual melon launcher exhaust for this car. It's only a matter of time.

I am hoping that someday Subaru will wake up and realize they can sell realistic parts for their cars and still maintain a factory warranty. There is no reason why Subaru cant build a kit like SRT has and maintain Subarus warranty. Also offer us some different factory suspension packages Subaru. Heck just give us better tires and swaybars on a "performance" package.

They carried over the AWD system with no upgrades it appears. I guess when you dont have a AWD competitor in your class you can do that, but it would have been nice to get some LSD's in there.

We are still getting re-92's on this car. That is just plain and simple silly.

The took away the 4 pots and even if the new brake system stops just as good or better then the 4 pots the big 17 inch rims look empty without 4 pots behind them.

Until all the specs are released that is all I can come up with. The styling is bland and I think just about everyone can agree. Even edmunds got it right saying the hardcore crowd will dismiss it but it will be opened up to a more mainstream group of buyers.

The good things are it appears (or is rumored) to have folding rear seats. This IMHO is a no brainer to figure out. Thank you Subaru.

The hatch has potential IMHO to be a mean car. Hopefully in STI trim this thing will look like and act like an untamed monster. I am stuck with my STI for another 5 years so in reality I hope the new STI isnt that much better then previous years.

#9 ·
Official Press Release

PRESS RELEASE - autoblog.com

SUBARU DEBUTS ALL-NEW 2008 IMPREZA 2.5i AND IMPREZA WRX

2008 Imprezas Boast All-New Styling and Two New Body Styles
New and More Refined Interior Delivers Improved Comfort, Space and Utility
Available Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)

New York, NY April 5, 2007 -- Subaru today unveiled the all-new Subaru Impreza 2.5i and its performance icon cousin, the Impreza WRX at the New York International Auto Show. With new, more sophisticated styling and two new body styles, a 4-door sedan and a 5-door model, the Impreza 2.5i and Impreza WRX breathe new life into the compact performance market. The new Impreza models take a giant leap forward in terms of comfort and utility, while delivering the handling, performance and Subaru Symmetrical AWD that made the original Impreza such a success. Also new for 2008, is the availability of Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) on both the Impreza 2.5i and Impreza WRX.

In 2002, Subaru changed the face of the performance market with the introduction of the original WRX, a car that could deliver turbocharged, rally-bred performance in any driving condition. The all-new 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX follows that lead with an all-new breed of AWD performance car. The 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX now rides on a 3.7 inch longer wheelbase (103.1 inches) that improves ride, interior space and utility.

The new WRX is powered by a 2.5-liter flat-four Boxer engine delivering 224 horsepower and 226 Lb.-ft. of torque and is 50 lbs. lighter than its predecessor. The engine has been modified to produce more torque at lower rpm. With its broader and richer torque curve, the 2008 WRX delivers a smooth stream of power, improving drivability and fuel efficiency.

ADVANCED ENGINEERING
The new Impreza chassis has improved rigidity and ride comfort with the addition of high tension steel at key structural points. The new design results in a lower overall weight for the body while the longer wheelbase allows for improved ride dynamics as well as increasing interior room and lowering levels of Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).

To further improve handling, the engine is now placed slightly lower in the chassis, lowering the Impreza's center of gravity. In addition, the new chassis improves crash worthiness and provides crisper handling and a stiffer platform. While the new Impreza WRX remains a driver's car, the new WRX represents a better combination of capabilities, maximizing performance, comfort and delivering an advantage over the competition.

In conjunction with the new chassis, the Subaru Impreza and WRX feature an all-new double-wishbone rear suspension. The suspension allows for less intrusion into the cargo area, providing a wider and deeper luggage compartment. The new suspension also delivers improved ride refinement, decreased road noise, and a quieter cabin.

MODERN EXTERIOR DESIGN
The all-new 2008 Impreza and Impreza WRX are now available in two new body styles, a 4-door and a 5-door. The new 5-door design is clean and elegant, with a sweeping single curve roofline that flows into an aerodynamic rear spoiler. An all-new frontal design features the new spread wing logo design at the top of the widened grille. The new grille creates a connection to the Subaru aircraft heritage and places a focus on the Subaru star cluster logo.

Both exterior designs focus on detail touches such as the new clear rear lenses on the 5-door, distinctive curved fog lamps and an inward sweeping chrome embellishment that flows the grille design into the bumper. An aggressive lower spoiler adds to the sporting character of the design.

The 5-door features a distinctive character line that sweeps upward at the rear, giving the car an agile look. The short rear overhang, new clear rear taillamp lenses and a vertical chrome bar combine to integrate the side character line into tail.

The 4-door Impreza and Impreza WRX are unique to the North American market. The new 4-door is 4.5-inches longer than the previous sedan and 6.5-inches longer than the new 5-door models. The extra space provides for a much larger trunk that can accommodate three Tour-size golf bags. The rear seats feature a 60/40 rear split folding mechanism that further enhances cargo capacity. On new 5-door Impreza models, the wide and flat load floor can accommodate two Tour golf bags with the rear seats in the upright position

The design of the 4-door models creates an improved road presence, with a wider and sharper front design giving way to a crisp side body crease. The rear of the 4-door Impreza is set apart by red lamp lenses and a chrome strip below the trunk line that visually widens the tail.

On WRX models, a new available aero kit denotes the WRX rally car heritage. The 5-door WRX features a rear under body diffuser and single chrome exhaust pipe. The 4-door WRX features dual chrome exhaust tips and a rear trunk spoiler.

RICH INTERIOR DESIGN
The interior design of the 2008 Impreza places a new emphasis on comfort and space. The new sweeping twin cockpit embraces occupants and brushed aluminum look insets flow into the center stack. The center console shape adds to the airiness of the cockpit design, aided by the sculpted door panels and improved headroom. The door panels house molded recesses that can accommodate 24-oz. soft drink bottles, as well as loose items.

Despite retaining the same exterior width as the previous generation Impreza, the new 2008 Impreza features an interior with two inches more front shoulder room than before.

An available navigation and information center is the focal point of the center console. In addition to an input for MP3 players, the center console also includes video jacks that can accommodate portable gaming devices that can be displayed on the navigation screen when the vehicle is parked. The navigation screen is placed at the top of the dashboard for improved visibility and functionality. The interior of the new Impreza was designed to provide a feeling of quality with special emphasis placed on double-stitched fabrics and high-grade interior plastics.

New for 2008 are framed windows that allow for improved body rigidity and provide for a quieter interior with better sealing for the windows. Larger door openings provide improved ingress and egress and the rear doors open 75 degrees to allow for better rear seat access. The rear seatback angles have been reclined for improved rear comfort. Rear seat legroom is also significantly increased.

ENGINES - IMPROVED TORQUE, BETTER ECONOMY
The 2.5-liter and 2.5-liter turbocharged flat fours have been modified to improve both emissions and fuel efficiency while maintaining the same high performance standards delivered by the current Impreza and Impreza WRX. Modified torque curves on the both engines are tuned for improved low-rpm acceleration and improved drivability.

The new 2.5-liter normally aspirated engine delivers 170 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm and 170 lb-ft. of torque @ 4,400 rpm. Low end torque and fuel efficiency for the 2.5-liter normally aspirated engine were improved by the addition of a new intake port. Improved emissions were realized by a new catalyst system that optimizes catalyst efficiency.

The 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-four Boxer engine in the WRX delivers its maximum torque and horsepower earlier than the previous model, with 224 horsepower @ 5,200 rpm and 226 lb.-ft. of torque @ 2,800 rpm, a full 800 rpm earlier than the previous generation WRX. Low end torque and fuel efficiency was improved through the addition of a new intake manifold, intercooler and turbocharger.

SAFETY
The 2008 Impreza continues Subaru's legendary safety and crash worthiness record. New for 2008 are standard side-curtain airbags and available Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) . Also standard is the Subaru Advanced Frontal Airbag System (SRS), with front seat head / chest side impact air bags (SRS) and a driver's side front air bag that deploys according to the driver's proximity to the steering wheel, as measured by a sensor on the seat track. In the passenger side front seat, a sensor module detects weight on the passenger seat – first determining if it is occupied, and if so by a child or adult – to control air bag deployment. As part of the system, the dashboard features a new "Airbag" indicator light.

The new 2008 Impreza utilizes the Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame Body Structure with front and rear crumple zones. The new 2008 Subaru Impreza also incorporates 3-point seatbelts for all seats (height-adjustable for outboard positions); front seatbelts with electrically triggered pre-tensioners and force limiters, 4-channel/4-sensor Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and active front seat head restraints (Not available on WRX Performance Seats) to help reduce whiplash injury in a rear collision.

#11 · (Edited)
:eek:

So far, I like it!!! A lot actually! (Wish there was a head-on picture) but so far the new grille/front looks awesome. I also like that Subaru took some design cues from Audi and BMW in the rear curvature and the dual exhaust. :thumbup: I do miss the protruding hoodscoop though. These pics are WAY better thant he computer-generated ones subaru has on their website right now. I can't wait to see this in person!!!! :D And moreso, I can't wait to see the STI!!!!!!

Edit: lol head-on shot was NOT there when i posted! :p

#13 ·
I'm still not a fan of the grill from the head-on view, though I may feel differently when I actually see it on the road.

#21 ·
Agreed, I hate that grill!:barf: From the side it looks like a Daewoo and a G35 mated! The rear end looks pretty cool, but not a fan of the dual exhausts. Hopefully the new interior, folding seats, and new double wishbone suspension will make up for some of the ugliness! :cool:

#15 ·
Maybe this will grow on me...but I'm not loving it yet. I don't recognize it as a wrx. It doesn't look "tough" enough.

Edmunds says it will appeal more to the mainstream crowd. Part of the reason I like my rex is that it isn't a "mainstream" car! I like having a car that I don't see a 100 of every day. It looks too much like all the other 4 door sedans out there, imo.

I do agree that having steering wheel controls would be nice. The extra interior room would be nice too, I'm 6'3" so I can always use extra leg room.

Hopefully it will grow on me...

#18 · (Edited)
Maybe this will grow on me...but I'm not loving it yet. I don't recognize it as a wrx. It doesn't look "tough" enough.

Edmunds says it will appeal more to the mainstream crowd. Part of the reason I like my rex is that it isn't a "mainstream" car! I like having a car that I don't see a 100 of every day. It looks too much like all the other 4 door sedans out there, imo.
Here in New England I see a WRX at least every couple hours if I am outside. I welcome a more mainstream look especially since I will be graduating from College in a few weeks and entering the business world. Then again I want the STi, so big wings here I come.

I think the new one looks great, lower, rims, and a better front lip will really set the car off. The new Grill/Chrome/Headlights looks AMAZING to me. But I also like the Legacy and I used to own an RSX, so the classier interior is great too.

NEW COLORS - subaru.com
Dark Gray Metallic
Spark Silver Metallic
Lightening Red

PICTURES FROM THE 4/3 PRESS PARTY

Impreza 2.5i in Lightening Red (its not pink, thats just the lighting)

#16 ·
hmmm, im intested in the nav option. Id like to know the brand/model of the unit is to see if it would be a cheaper alternative to retrofit it in an previous version impreza rather than an aftermarket one.

#17 · (Edited)
Well like most have said its lost its boyish racers look, the first pictures reminded me of a kia spectra, but these actual pictures remind me of a toyota corolla. They are actually better then the first pictures of the blue hatch on here, but now it looks just like any other economy car (read bland looking). While the overall pacakge looks like a nice finished product that doesn't center around the engine and the drivetrain anymore, it doesn't scream performance anymore. Its like subaru was listening for the cries for a nicer interior but then forgot performance. Once again we are proven that we can't have everything. This car will appeal to a broader range of buyers and not only those who slap on aftermarket parts and go racing. The down side of this car, is that it will not stand out from the crowd like the 02-07 models did.

Form another prespective it looks as though they are following mitsubishi Lancer where the Lancer is just bland for everyday folks and the EVO is for the youngins. The STI will propably be looking like it means business. They(subaru folks) are not stupid, while everyone would want the performance of an STI in a WRX for 20K, its just not going to happen. If you want an STI you have to pay the price, if they bumped the horsepower to 280ish and gave it the looks then no one would want the STI and the 2 platforms would blend together. This way the WRX is the WRX and the STI will be the STI.

#19 ·
Bah, if our cars were so cool looking to begin with, why do so many of us lower it, paint sideskirts, change out grills, buy aftermarket wheels, debadge, add lips, etc. :tongue:

If the new model looks a bit pedestrian, I'm sure the aftermarket, as well as Subaru, will provide some nice pieces to "boyracer" it up.

edit: Guess I just said about the same thing that Chris did in his edit...

#23 ·
Oh please, it's all the same family. Just think if you lived in Europe or Japan...would the GC8 WRX's wave at you? Of course they would, a WRX is a WRX no matter what it looks like.

We dont need to worry until they pull a Mercury Cougar move on us and go from a sporty coupe to a full size sedan and then back.

#30 ·
I cant get the Legend video to play here at work. All it says is "Unsurpassed Performance" and then stops. Must be lots of people on their site.

It could be an SPT exhaust which is much louder than stock.

#28 ·
I agree. I'll be driving my blob for several more years, but if I were in the market right now, it would be one of the top cars on my list again. I know I've said it before, but in 2010 or 2011 when the blob is worn out, I will most likely be putting a new hatch in my garage.

#29 ·
my .02cents. i'm not going to say, all good things must come to an end. but subaru has obviously moved from the niche that they have been in for years and years with the wrx line. its always been function before form. to me thats what makes a performance geared car beauiful. but, unfortunatly there is not enough guys like you and me out there to keep that wonderful trend going. no longer when i pass a wrx will i see flashing headlights and waving. :sadwave: :sadwave: :sadwave:

oh and btw, A SPORT SHIFT AUTO?!?!?!?!?!?!:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

#32 · (Edited)
my .02cents. i'm not going to say, all good things must come to an end. but subaru has obviously moved from the niche that they have been in for years and years with the wrx line. its always been function before form. to me thats what makes a performance geared car beauiful.
oh and btw, A SPORT SHIFT AUTO?!?!?!?!?!?!:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:
I dont get this rationale at all. Function before Form.

It is nearly the same car as the 02-07 besides some performance enhancements, suspension enhancements, and more low end torque from the VF40 turbo. It still has Function, in fact is has MORE. it is larger and can now fit 4 adults and their luggage unlike the current car that is small and has a useless trunk. I can barely take 4 people on a trip w/ their luggage in my trunk.

So now it is beautiful and fast. What's the down side?

Oh no, this car is 224 hp, 226 lb-ft! :unhappy: Oh, wait, it is a downpipe and reflash away from 300 lb-ft at the wheels!

Sport Shift Auto is an option as it has been in the Legacy for some time now.

#36 ·
You know what detail I really actually like the most? Subaru finally after ALL THESE YEARS MADE THE REAR SEAT FOLD DOWN WITH A 60/40 SPLIT!!!! Stupid as it sounds, thats reason enough for me to get a new one. It will be an STi so I would like to see if they are going to get a little more aggressive and make a better looking hatch. But I would be thrilled with a sedan as long as the damn seats fold down!!

Side note: if they add another 4.9 inches to the sedan how much bigger are they going to make the car before it ends up just being a legacy? If the legacy is 105 wheel base, and 189 length. 4.9 added to the current 07 impreza 99 wheel base, 175 length makes it 180 long.

#40 ·
that's a really good post as to the ques for the design... it's a little embarassing if you ask me

#42 ·
When was the last original car design? 1920's?

Cars all look similar. How many cars use the BMW kink in their C-pillar? Just about all of them.

#45 ·
I'm a bit dissapointed in the direction Subaru is taking the car, and how they've had 7 years since its debut in the US to raise the bar again. The only bar I see being raised potentially at all is the handling characteristics. The engine is the same, soon to be outdone by competetors, and already outdone by the mazdaspeed offering. They could atleast throw an extra 10-15 horses, still call it a WRX, and do the same to the STi, while coming close to one-upping on their rivals.

A better interior? Subaru is playing catch-up just by improving the interior, nothing impressive here.

The exterior? To me it seems like by giving up the propeller design, they couldnt quite figure out what they wanted to me. The 08 model looks like a practice in design experimentation and is no way in my opinion original or elegant. While it may have elements that are beautiful by themselves, they way they have fit the pieces together, do not mend well. Ala, the front end all one jagged piece of chrome then headlights, thrown off by a very bland front bumber with its linear curve clashing into the rest. The hood scoop is nice to see more integrated, but looks ackward sitting so far forward on the car imo. The overall styling to me almost seems too 'cute', less agressive than even the 06 model.

I will agree the car might peak more interest in a broader range of people, but its not really competing as closely as it did in 2001. And that may really send sales shrinking from Subaru's expectations, as I dont think for the same 25k pricetag, this market segment will be as concerned about a better interior as being able to drive off the lot with a car that is just as fast and handles just as well as its most close competetors.

#46 ·
I like it. I like 02-07 better, but I like it.
The thing that bothers me most about it though; the intergrated hood scoop. In my mind one of the defining features of a WRX is the big scoop popping out of your hood. I love silouette you see out the front window with the scoop in the coner of your eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.