OFFICIAL 2008 Impreza Information Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on OFFICIAL 2008 Impreza Information Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hmmm, im intested in the nav option. Id like to know the brand/model of the unit is to see if ...

hmmm, im intested in the nav option. Id like to know the brand/model of the unit is to see if it would be a cheaper alternative to retrofit it in an previous version impreza rather than an aftermarket one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well like most have said its lost its boyish racers look, the first pictures reminded me of a kia spectra, but these actual pictures remind me of a toyota corolla. They are actually better then the first pictures of the blue hatch on here, but now it looks just like any other economy car (read bland looking). While the overall pacakge looks like a nice finished product that doesn't center around the engine and the drivetrain anymore, it doesn't scream performance anymore. Its like subaru was listening for the cries for a nicer interior but then forgot performance. Once again we are proven that we can't have everything. This car will appeal to a broader range of buyers and not only those who slap on aftermarket parts and go racing. The down side of this car, is that it will not stand out from the crowd like the 02-07 models did.

Form another prespective it looks as though they are following mitsubishi Lancer where the Lancer is just bland for everyday folks and the EVO is for the youngins. The STI will propably be looking like it means business. They(subaru folks) are not stupid, while everyone would want the performance of an STI in a WRX for 20K, its just not going to happen. If you want an STI you have to pay the price, if they bumped the horsepower to 280ish and gave it the looks then no one would want the STI and the 2 platforms would blend together. This way the WRX is the WRX and the STI will be the STI.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 04-05-2007 at 09:50 AM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by drive4fun View Post
    Maybe this will grow on me...but I'm not loving it yet. I don't recognize it as a wrx. It doesn't look "tough" enough.

Edmunds says it will appeal more to the mainstream crowd. Part of the reason I like my rex is that it isn't a "mainstream" car! I like having a car that I don't see a 100 of every day. It looks too much like all the other 4 door sedans out there, imo.
    Here in New England I see a WRX at least every couple hours if I am outside. I welcome a more mainstream look especially since I will be graduating from College in a few weeks and entering the business world. Then again I want the STi, so big wings here I come.

I think the new one looks great, lower, rims, and a better front lip will really set the car off. The new Grill/Chrome/Headlights looks AMAZING to me. But I also like the Legacy and I used to own an RSX, so the classier interior is great too.

NEW COLORS - subaru.com
    Dark Gray Metallic
    Spark Silver Metallic
    Lightening Red

PICTURES FROM THE 4/3 PRESS PARTY

Impreza 2.5i in Lightening Red (its not pink, thats just the lighting)

Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 04-05-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Bah, if our cars were so cool looking to begin with, why do so many of us lower it, paint sideskirts, change out grills, buy aftermarket wheels, debadge, add lips, etc.

If the new model looks a bit pedestrian, I'm sure the aftermarket, as well as Subaru, will provide some nice pieces to "boyracer" it up.

edit: Guess I just said about the same thing that Chris did in his edit...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I am going to start my official boycott the 08 thread...no more waving if you own a 07+ wrx/sti.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm still not a fan of the grill from the head-on view, though I may feel differently when I actually see it on the road.

Agreed, I hate that grill! From the side it looks like a Daewoo and a G35 mated! The rear end looks pretty cool, but not a fan of the dual exhausts. Hopefully the new interior, folding seats, and new double wishbone suspension will make up for some of the ugliness!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

im sure thats what all the GC8 people said when the GD chassis came out. heh

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    I am going to start my official boycott the 08 thread...no more waving if you own a 07+ wrx/sti.
    Oh please, it's all the same family. Just think if you lived in Europe or Japan...would the GC8 WRX's wave at you? Of course they would, a WRX is a WRX no matter what it looks like.

We dont need to worry until they pull a Mercury Cougar move on us and go from a sporty coupe to a full size sedan and then back.

Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    im sure thats what all the GC8 people said when the GD chassis came out. heh
    Ah the luck of the Rayfield...Lordcon beat me to it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Oh please, it's all the same family. Just think if you lived in Europe or Japan...would the GC8 WRX's wave at you? Of course they would, a WRX is a WRX no matter what it looks like.

We dont need to worry until they pull a Mercury Cougar move on us and go from a sporty coupe to a full size sedan and then back.
    In before OMG it was a joke.

Here is something constructive I stole from another site.
    Press release:Subaru Impreza
    Press Conference
    NYIAS
    9.40am, 5 March, 2007
    McHale
    Ladies and Gentlemen
    Welcome to the SECOND of two Subaru world debuts at the New York Auto Show.
    Before we begin let me introduce a number of senior executives from Fuji Heavy Industries: President and CEO Mr Ikuo Mori, Project General Manager for Impreza - Mr Akihide Takeuchi (Mr Takeuchi will be available for questions after the conference) the new Chairman, President and CEO of Subaru of America, Mr Tomohiko Ikeda and Tom Doll, Executive Vice President of Subaru of America.
    So, now on to business. Yesterday on this stand we showed you our new 2008 Tribeca with its new design and more powerful engine.
    And today we have an equally important reveal – the all-new Impreza and WRX.
    Both of these vehicles will set new standards in their respective segments.
    Tim Colbeck, Vice President of Sales for Subaru of America will give you the detail on these two cars and before that Mr Mori will give you his remarks.
    Mori
    Ladies and Gentlemen
    Yesterday we showed you the new Tribeca…that reveal was about Subaru style and versatility.
    And today we are very pleased to show you an all-new model that is a perfect example of Subaru performance and practicality.
    Two world debuts in New York is no coincidence for us.
    We have said clearly that the US market is central to our business at Subaru and in the next 4 years we will grow our business from last year’s record 200,000 sales to over 230,000 sales per year by 2010.
    And the way we will do this is by providing the market with the products it wants and by putting the Customer First in everything we do.
    You all know that Subaru products are fun to drive, reliable and safe. Our plan is to communicate that even more clearly than before.
    So now let me pass to Tim Colbeck who will tell you more about our new models.
    Tim Colbeck
    Thank you Mori-san.
    There are only a few three letter acronyms that can raise the heart rate of an automotive enthusiast as quickly as the letters… W..R..X.
    Say ‘WRX’ to any car guy and you will get a smile in return.
    WRX means power, performance, rally wins and a particular shade of blue...
    And now we’re about to launch a new WRX and I’m really excited to stand up here and reveal it to the world.
    There is a lot of anticipation for the WRX, but before I get to that, I want to let you in on a secret about the Impreza line….the secret is…that there IS an Impreza.
    You know, there is SO much attention paid to WRX, that we sometimes think the best kept secret about the Impreza line-up is that there actually IS an Impreza.
    While the Impreza is the foundation of the WRX, it is also an incredible car in its own right. It’s got a great combination of safety and fun and AWD performance. Last year, we let the secret out a little, and sales were up 40% from the previous year.
    So while the WRX is generating excitement at the dealers and hacking attempts at our web sites, we want to make sure the word gets out on the new Impreza – the best Impreza ever….
    …with Subaru Symmetrical AWD and a boxer engine under the hood, the most capable and stylish mid-sized car you will see at this show.
    The new Impreza is a huge leap forward with completely new styling and grown up proportions. It is more of what made Impreza successful in a stunning new wrapper. The Impreza comes in both a stylish 4-door and sporty 5 door versions and you should know that the 4 door is a unique Subaru offering for the North American market.
    It has gotten bigger. In fact, the new Impreza 4 door is 4 inches longer, over an inch taller and is 2 inches wider on the inside. All of that on a wheel base that is 3.7 inches longer.
    Under the hood, the 2.5i model delivers 170Hp and 170 lbs-feet of torque out of a boxer engine that gives low center of gravity and excellent torque character.
    And of course puts that power to the road through our world class AWD system, providing performance, safety AND control.
    The Impreza is new in every way. Its interior follows Subaru’s award-winning interior design language and comes with its own interpretation of the twin-cockpit look.
    It has a new double-wishbone suspension system that provides the perfect balance of ride comfort and handling precision.
    Combined with the longer wheelbase that gives this vehicle excellent interior roominess, improved legroom and increased trunk space.
    The all-new Impreza delivers what we think is the best combination of driving performance, safety and fun in its class.
    Let’s take a look….
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the new Subaru Impreza (reveal to speaker’s right)
    (reveal and pause)
    This is the 5 door and the first thing you notice is that it’s bigger - as I said - it’s 2 inches wider inside and has a 3.7 inch longer wheelbase.
    Despite the longer wheelbase, the 5 door is 2 inches shorter than the previous model and that means reduced overhangs and better handling.
    And the rear doors now open to 75 degrees to provide easier access to the rear seats.
    In both 4 and 5 door styles, the Impreza is more practical and more stylish than ever before…so now you get a great driving experience, good looks and interior space that’s right up there with the top of the
    class…and when you throw in it’s Subaru legendary all wheel drive safety and durability, you can see we have a winning package in this segment.
    (long pause)
    Now let’s dial up the performance a little bit.
    When the WRX was first launched in 1992 it was an instant success worldwide.
    It’s signature blue body and gold wheels became an icon.... and went on to be a rally champion, a street racer and also the dream car of the enthusiast tuner. When it came to our shores in 2002, it created a loyal group of enthusiasts and defined affordable performance in the U.S. market.
    And now we launch a new era…
    As part of the Impreza family, WRX enjoys all the improvements of the new Impreza, including the increased interior dimensions and great new styling…
    But with the WRX you get more of the things that matter to an enthusiast – a 224Hp, 226 lb.-ft. 2.5 liter turbo boxer engine, a sharper suspension, sports seats…and of course that famous hood scoop.
    Like I said, launching a new WRX is pretty exciting, so let’s not wait any longer, Ladies and Gentlemen, the new WRX. (reveal left of speaker)
    (reveal – pause)
    You can see by the dramatic hood scoop and the stance of the wheels that this is a car built for performance.
    In addition to this 4 door version, the WRX will also come in an aggressive 5 door body style that will be the basis for the WRC competition car.
    The WRX really defines what Subaru all wheel drive performance is all about:
    Sharp handling, instant power response, dramatic styling. It’s a winning formula for us and one we plan to continue to follow.
    And Subaru Performance is also Affordable Performance. We want to make sure the WRX is competitively priced and so while we haven’t completely fixed prices yet, it will be available in the mid $20,000 dollar range. That means you will be able to get the latest in Subaru engineered performance in a package for less than $25,000. That’s Subaru value.
    The Impreza and WRX will go on sale in the U.S. in late Summer.
    (pause)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is an exciting time for us at Subaru.
    The new Tribeca we debuted yesterday and the new Impreza and WRX will further raise the profile of the Subaru brand in the US Market.
    These new products will give us the opportunity to build on last year’s sales success and cement our position as the leading AWD manufacturer.
    And, along with the rest of our award-winning line up, these vehicles will ensure Subaru’s continued success in the US market… and around the world.
    Thank you and enjoy the show.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

has anybody watched the "legend" video on subaru.com? the wrx revving its engine totally has an aftermarket turboback. probably voided the warranty.

I like the new style. The grill is a little blah, but that should be easy enough to change. I'm probably going to be keeping my bugeye for awhile, but if I was in the market I would definetely pick one of these up.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    I like the new style. The grill is a little blah, but that should be easy enough to change. I'm probably going to be keeping my bugeye for awhile, but if I was in the market I would definetely pick one of these up.
    I agree. I'll be driving my blob for several more years, but if I were in the market right now, it would be one of the top cars on my list again. I know I've said it before, but in 2010 or 2011 when the blob is worn out, I will most likely be putting a new hatch in my garage.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

my .02cents. i'm not going to say, all good things must come to an end. but subaru has obviously moved from the niche that they have been in for years and years with the wrx line. its always been function before form. to me thats what makes a performance geared car beauiful. but, unfortunatly there is not enough guys like you and me out there to keep that wonderful trend going. no longer when i pass a wrx will i see flashing headlights and waving.

oh and btw, A SPORT SHIFT AUTO?!?!?!?!?!?!
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #61
    Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I measure my HP with my butt dyno with a 120mph frumaroll. I then put on my flashers to signal completion of my butt dyno test.
    07 wrx wrb stage .63

Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    has anybody watched the "legend" video on subaru.com? the wrx revving its engine totally has an aftermarket turboback. probably voided the warranty.
    I cant get the Legend video to play here at work. All it says is "Unsurpassed Performance" and then stops. Must be lots of people on their site.

It could be an SPT exhaust which is much louder than stock.