Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tesla Model 3

6K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  webbrowan 
#1 ·
Tesla Model 3: This Is It

Confirmed deets:
  • $35k starting price.
  • Seats 5 real adults.
  • Sub 6 second 0-60 in base trim. Higher specs are "much faster".
  • Single motor and dual motor options.
  • 215 mile range in base trim. Higher trims have a lot more.
  • Autonomous features and Supercharger compatibility are standard on all trims.
  • Glass roof extending across the entire cabin standard.

Thoughts:
The 15" screen tacked onto the otherwise spartan dash is an interesting move. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a HUD is offered when the car enters production. While clearly a prototype, the director of engineering at Tesla stated the interior is the production intent of the Model 3, so I wouldn't anticipate a drastic departure of what you see there. I would expect to see steering wheel buttons added, minor fit/finish tweaks, etc.

In the prototype car Jalopnik rode in, the engineer stated it was a dual motor vehicle, and you can see it hauls ass when he plants it.

The grill-less front end will be polarizing, but is likely a function of the extremely low drag coefficient the car is rumored to have. While I don't like the oncoming view, the car does look good in profile. My guess is this will become an increasingly common design trait across the auto industry in the drive for increasingly more slippery vehicles.

I can see this eating into BMW's 3-series market share, but probably not touching anything Subaru sells, except maybe some STI buyers who were already anticipating forking over $40k for a reasonably speedy sport sedan and are open to looking at electric cars (I don't imagine that's a huge number of people, but some, I'm sure).

I put down my $1k deposit yesterday when online deposits went live. I didn't want to wait in the 5 block long line at our local Tesla store...

See less See more
#38 ·
The newer the release, the more modern and futuristic the design would be which I have observed so far for this automaker brand. This has been a positive outlook for the manufacturer as consumers are increasingly concerned about both performance and physicality of the car of their choice.

#41 ·
I agree that technological advances are simply inevitable in this modern era. Almost every appliance and equipment that we see at home or in the open market are just so tech-savvy. There are obviously pros and cons to this situation but I guess there really isn't much that we all could do but to utilize them toward our convenience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.