Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 WRX

169K views 556 replies 86 participants last post by  15WRBlue 
#1 ·
I have been hearing rumors of Subaru doing a total body overhaul for the 2016 WRX's due to the people who hate the new body style/are upset that there is not a hatchback option. From what I am hearing, the rumor is that they are going to go with the 2013 concept model (which is pretty badass looking) but there is no way to be sure if this is true or not. The only reason I am asking is because I have an order in for a limited 2015 ISM WRX that is scheduled to arrive in February.. I love the look of the 2015's but if they are actually going with the 2013 concept look, it would really suck because I love both looks. I also like that they are talking about putting a touchscreen headunit standard in the 2016's along with a few other additions. At some point I have to just buckle down and realize that every year they are going to come out with a new model with a few new add-ons but I just figured I would ask and see if anyone has heard anything. I just can't imagine Subaru making the 2015's a 1 year model, when they typically wait about 5 years before they come out with a new model but the fact that so many people are upset with this year's model makes me wonder. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Even though some don't like the new design and that there isn't a hatchback, '15 WRXs are selling like crazy. Most dealers can't keep them in stock and if they do get them, they are sold in days. Subaru is setting sales records with their current line up as well as many rave reviews.

I highly doubt that Subaru will be making any significant changes for at least 3 years aside from probably resurrecting a hatchback version.

#4 ·
Zax is right, the refresh is for the normal Impreza. I would imagine a lot more people would be downright pissed off if Subaru went ahead and changed things up for 2016, myself included. From what I know about these cars, they usually get refreshed every 2-3 year, but don't get anything major done for 5-6 years. I think we can expect the body to stay the same or close to the same until maybe 2018 at the least. I have a WRX on the way too, can't wait till it gets here!

#7 ·
Subaru will lose sales if they don't come out with a hatch. In the past subaru went with only one body style for the release and it only lasted a year or two.

I do think the levorg looks good, but it's definitely a wagon not a hatch. I'd like to see a WRX hatch, but if subaru brings the levorg stateside, I could see them not offering a WRX hatch as well.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I do agree that it's highly unlikely Subaru will do a major revision for '16. However, If it does happen, that would make the '15s pretty valuable being a "one year model".

Or this could just be wishful thinking....

#11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I had the same thought process, that I couldn't imagine Subaru doing a total redesign a year later but after hearing all the rumors it got me wondering.. I didn't hear that it was just for the Impreza so thank you for that! I just cannot wait for my WRX to come in, the wait is killing me! Hopefully the wait will be over sooner rather than later because SOA says ETA is the month of March while my dealership says ETA is February..Hopefully the dealership is more accurate than SOA! Good luck with your wait for your cars and to those who already have them, enjoy!

#13 ·
I went to a dealer this past weekend, since I'm going to buy a WRX this summer and I wanted to see them closeup (love it even more now... waiting is going to be tough). A salesman caught me looking, and when I told him I'm getting one in the summer, he mentioned that I should get the 2016 WRX instead. He said it would arrive in early-mid summer, and told me that the body will be exactly the same, and that the only differences/upgrade would be the radio face; all the WRX's would get the new Impreza's large touchscreen standard. He also mentioned the WRX would get a heads-up display. Not sure if that would be standard or an option, though.

This of course is not official, and a quick google I just did couldn't really find any information on the 2016 WRX. So I don't know how he found out without google knowing. I didn't ask where he heard it from, I just said, "You seriously already know about the 2016 model?", and he said yes. If he is correct, I'm pretty excited about the 2016 coming when I'm about to buy the vehicle.

#14 ·
I just went to the dealer this past Saturday and heard the exact same thing. The touchscreen user interface is basically going from one of the worst in the industry to one of the best. You can read the reviews of it on the new Legacy, Outback and XV/Impreza. The Forester and WRX are the only two models without it so far. It seems worth it to wait if the upgraded stereo & NAV are on your wish list.

#16 ·
Ya, that's what I'll be doing, but since I buying a car in the summer, I'm gonna snag it with the new standard touchscreen (if the guy knew what he says he knew). I now will have to go check out the reviews of the Impreza!

#21 ·
Oh yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy the convenience of options I want coming pre installed, especially since I'm paying almost $28,000 for the car, and that's why I got the footwell illumination, short shifter, and armrest extension, because I would rather pay the price for those than install them myself, even though they don't take much work at all. The h/u though I couldn't justify personally, but I do get why others would rather get the option than install an aftermarket one. For me, if it was more along the lines of 1-1500, then I might have considered it lol. Oh and the fact that it can only be chosen as an option with the premium or limited was also a big drawback for me.

#25 ·
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but in 2009 they made MAJOR changes to the totally redesigned 2008 WRX... Different turbo, suspension, body, among other things... But that was due to them basically making the 2008 WRX too soft, and it handled like a Camry...I'm so glad I got a 2009! I seriously doubt they'd make any big changes for 2016.

#27 ·
I'm hoping they say something in Geneva Auto Show this week so we know what the 2016 be like!

#28 ·
Yeah but the 2008 was widely hated and criticized, and rightfully so since it was lacking in pretty much every sense. The 2015 however is the best WRX ever made, in an objective sense, as far as sales, engine, transmission, suspension, etc go. Honestly I agree, the looks grew on me after seeing the car in person :D

#32 ·
My local dealer attempted to order a 2015 WRX for me today and was denied... hopefully that means the 2016 are coming soon! FWIW I dig the 2015 body and would be very happy if the 2016's look the same. They had a used car to test drive but it had some serious miles and tire wear for a <1yo car so I passed... not like they were giving to away.

#35 ·
I wouldn't look forward to a hatch in this body style, they really haven't made ANY mention of it....

I hope they don't make a hatch in this body, It would be way too ugly. I'd rather they wait for the next wrx and then release the hatch and sedan options together.

I second that, It would look like a ford fiesta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.