Subaru WRX Forum banner

FA20 DIT could be the new STI motor?

23K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  Yugimons 
#1 ·
The JDM FA20 DIT is 296HP. Using the CVT.

Could the EJ be replaced by this platform in the near future? It has the potential.

#2 ·
Nobody really knows.

It's abundantly clear that USDM STIs have never reflected JDM STIs...it's hard to believe that they'd start homoligating them now.

#5 ·
I thought the video was serious at first lol
Ya I've heard a lot of good things on the fa20. Really does seem like it responds very well to mods and not as temperamental. Now it's just the longevity of the motor

#7 ·
Yea I posted that video on NASIOC a while back and got a few laughs.. If the STI had the FA engine I would be going for the STI but the EJ is still having problems and some of the guys I have talked to that have a 2015 STI said to go with the WRX... you will also people that love their 15 STI but for me the FA is the deciding factor, I am just curious how its going to be with E85 and we have already seen some great power on it but I have also heard that its not good full time on E85 so IDK...

#10 ·
I haven't heard anything about longevity again with e85 but it's supposed to be a huge bump in power with just that
I agree with getting rid of the sti car.. but I believe they'll offer sport packages for the wheels and wing on the wrx

#22 ·
I am very curious as well if Subaru is planning to put the new FA in the STi. I am in the market for a new car and Im looking at the STi, but not with an 8 year old engine. I would rather opt for the WRX but really want the robust tranny of the STi.

Someone has to know something about this. I've been to 3 dealerships aND they know less about the car then we'all do. Shame shame Subaru.

#25 ·
Then look elsewhere. I don't suspect the 2016 will be mechanically different from the 2015. This has never been the case.

Have you considered the new Golf R? Loaded with new tech. Besides the engine, the new Subarus lack new technology.

#27 ·
If you have the funds for an STi, you have the funds for the Golf R. Have you even driven an STi? Is there a reason you NEED latest tech? Granted improved economy is a plus

#28 ·
I don't "need" the latest tech, but want it. Latest tech really isn't that as important then piece of mind and resale value.

I'd hate to buy a 2015 sti and 2016 or even 2017 comes with the FA.

I have not driven a STi, no. I've always wanted one.... even when they first came out and now I'm in the market and I noticed the new body style. I like it! Is there something I need to know bit an STi that only driving would show me?

#29 ·
You're looking at buying an enthusiast car yet you are making judgment based not on how the car feels to drive, but how it looks on paper. Yes, I'd absolutely suggest there is a lot to determine from simply driving the car.

Latest tech may not always provide a positive improvement. Electric steering is less enjoyable to drive compared to hydraulic steering. I feel you on the FA20. I love the motor. However I bought the 2015 STi anyway. Why? I drove one.

#30 ·
My point exactly! Lol. Well spoken. I thought you were going to say that I should drive one first before buying bc I may not like it.

I dont care for the electric power steering, cable actuated Trans and ratios. There is a lot to love about the wrx but Subi really improved it with the sti. The question is if I can live with the 2.5 even if they update with the FA in the near future.

#38 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.