02 wrx shaking violently help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 wrx shaking violently help! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay everybody I am new to this page and am seeking some help considering I can't find it anywhere else ...

02 wrx shaking violently help!

Okay everybody I am new to this page and am seeking some help considering I can't find it anywhere else . I have General mechanic knowledge and just picked up a 2002 wrx sedan 2.0 with a blown trans . I purchased a new trans out of an 03 wrx and installed it last night . On the test drive I drive around for a bit and had no issus but never hit over 40mph in town . Now I hopped on the freeway and as soon as I hit right around 60 mph the whole car started vibrating violently until I conpletly stopped . Car still idled fine . As soon as I started driving again the vibration was gone and drive 100 percent normal until I hit about 60+ mph once again . Everything is right and wheels are balanced any suggestions ? Could the rear diff be the wrong gears ? The guy I bought it from said he replaced the diff a week before the trans blew and said he was cruising on the freeway when it happend ? I was thinking that or the driveline what do u guys think ?!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What's vibrating exactly? Only at highway speeds? Feel it in the steering wheel?
    Stinkeye member 520

Honestly due to my experience with complaints of vibrations at highway speeds without applying brakes it's been a wheel balance issue. Depending on which wheels are out of balance you'll either feel it in the seat, the steering wheel, or all of the above if bad enough. Loose wheels may have the same effect.
    Also if the tires are choppy, wavy, feathered this causes it as well.
    If it were to be driveline related and assuming everything was installed right you would probably feel it at all speeds and would have noises associated with the vibrations
    Stinkeye member 520

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Sounds like the viscous coupling. I had the same symptoms with my car a while back.

I would suspect wheel balance, wheel bends, rotors, tires, maybe shocks, etc. first though.

mrd
    Does it stop vibrations if you slowdown or increase the speed?

That's the thing that confuses me is it will not shake at all in town until u hit the freeway like I said before it will shake until u stop and u can't feel it in the steering wheel . Feels like undercarriage vibration . Could a bad cv axel cause that ? I have new lower ball joints and tie rods . I just pulled my diff and on the ring and pinion it say 3.79 is that the correct one for a 2.0 with a 03 trans ?

Vicious coupling what is that lol . Anyone know is the ring and pinion should say 3.79 on it ?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.