Subaru WRX Forum banner

STI engine

3K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  grendels_wrx 
#1 ·
With the new WRX body style is in full swing, and it's most impressive.
How long will it be before they redesign the STI engine? With new body and same 2.5 it's just a matter of time till the old 2.5 is completely redesigned for the increasing popularity with WRX/STI. This being the main reason I didn't get a 15. I'll wait till STI gets new engine, then wait a year for the design team to work the kinks out. How many others are wondering this as well as me?
Let's get some opinions!!

#3 ·
With the STI pride videos subaru global has posted online, it seems like they are pushing the STI to make a strong name for itself in the racing side of things. I doubt it will disappear.
And I don't know whether they will put a new engine into the body of this STI model seeing how it seems to be such a balanced car to handle the power that it has.
I'd also like to see a new engine just so the STI will have better fuel economy numbers versus the older 2.5.
I believe they will keep it where it is at for now. Keep the price point of $35,000 starting and all.
The next refresh of body surely will have a new engine though. Everyone makes a big deal out of the fact subaru made the comment that the next impreza (due in 2016) will have design elements of the wrx concept. I believe this is true. However, subaru didn't say that the next WRX refresh will be in 2016. Just that the impreza will get its redesign at that time (which makes sense).
So yeah, not sure when a refreshed wrx will come out.

#8 ·
thats to bad considering the design of the engine as a hole. could make the brz into a mid engine awd twin turbo that would be fun

could they pust the engine back with shorter driveline and remounting the engine closer to the firewall if they changed the positioning of the turbo/intercooler? l wouldnt think it would take much re positioning to make a huge difference. move a few hundered pounds back a inch and maybe down a bit and it would be a hole different car.

#5 ·
They did hold 1st position for a good while during the 24 hour race until they had mechanical damage due to clipping another car.
And the latest comparison by motortrend put the sti against the new BMW M235i and CLA45 amg and it was awarded 1st place. :) impressive seeing how it was the cheapest of the 3 in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
That would be a huge build for a street car. Total redesign of the engine compartment. Not so big for racecar because tube frames and all...you can design the frame around the drivetrains. But oh hell, setting aside the physical repositioning of the motor, exauset redesigned or modded to fit, driveshafts and the CV shafts(maybe not...). Wiring harness and fuel delivery. Timc firment. That's a huge build. Race or show car budgets. Actually...it kinda sounds like a dream build to me. Maybe if I win the power ball.

All truth be told, I am personally less concerned with soa's racing right now with all the new cars coming out and the rules getting tighter and more restrictive I think its actually hampering the racing scene's ability to affect cars like it used to. They should have a buck wild contest just for kicks, give them a car platform and half a year with a goal in mind and see what they can do. Like maybe call some of the engineers making our parts(like Perrin, Cobb, tic, grimmspeed...so on) and make a true monster and see where that takes them haha. Although I would still like to see Subaru on top at the wrc.

Right now I am super happy my bugeye can race me to work in -45° and huge snow drifts. I owe some thanks to Subaru rally racing for that.

#11 ·
The Subaru manufacturer's world rally team, along with help from Prodrive already pushed the engine back as far as it could possibly go in the WRC car. Unfortunately by about 2006 the car still couldn't compete with it's inline 4 counterparts. As far back as the engine will go, still leaves it hanging out too far in the front. Any further back, and it would be sitting in the driver's lap..

I seriously doubt any of those aftermarket parts companies have the resources or funding close to an official SWRT team. Simply transporting the cars, drivers, and teams to the events would likely cost more than all of those companies combined could afford.

#16 ·
That's exactly right: the STi is not competitive. Subaru realised early this century that the Impreza was a van and began simply withdrawing, first their will then their money and their works team.

The 4dr Impreza remained viable in Group N for a bit but when the 5dr hatch finally was released Subaru were not in a homologation type of mood at all.

They still aren't.

I can't fault them. The new rules have made rallye boring. However none of that has fixed the chassis flaws in the Impreza -- not even dropping the Impreza name in favour of WRX or STi alone fixed that.

Subarus remain competitive in advertisements and -- from what I understand -- video games (though again, if and only if a Citroën doesn't show up, just like in real life.

They're tremendous road cars though! The STi has been improving in manners for years and the interiors are modern etc. For that I'm impressed.

Homologated motorsport? Meh.

#17 ·
They need to evolve the STI, redesign the engine and drivetrain.
It has been debated that Subaru has no high end car. With all the competition starting to emerge for the other car manufacturers and their high performance models. Subaru needs to give the STI an overhaul especially the engine. Subaru needs to step up the STIs game to compete more directly with BMW and Audi.
It has always been an awesome road car. But nowadays it could be so much more. SD_GR said it they have lost there rally edge. All the more Reason to turn it into a S4- Bimmer eater. With it's rising price tag they need more to show, other than being the step up from the WRX. LETS HEAR SOME MORE OPINIONS!!

#18 ·
I don't disagree. I like the thinking behind the new smaller 2,0L WRX engine with it's lower fuel consumption and modern management and fueling.

My criticisms of the current STi aside, and ignoring the high price also, I'd buy one before buying any German car available in the US.

If only the STi had an Audi or BMW interior. A Subaru car like that, built by Honda, would be perfect.

#19 ·
If the sti's had the build quality of the German cars...wouldn't that make it a Saab? Oh wait...lol.

Couldn't agree more SD hahahah. Subie WRX special build from Mugen. Just like the old Motion Performance Chevy Vega's no?. Order them up bone stock and push them over to a authorised mod shop. Tune with warenty and upgraded interior. Aaand the WRX just hit 50,000 dollars sigh.

#20 ·
Saab sold WRXs under their badge yes and those cars had nicer steering components and wheels than the Subaru WRXs. They were immensely better than the other Saab re-badge that comes to mind, the Lancia Delta.

An STi with 35+ MPG, a German interior, and Honda build quality would need no tuning for me. It'd be perfect. Maybe add fender flares. And a pizza.

#22 ·
I'm just here for the lol's

If the STi is carried forward, it won't be with a 2.5L engine. Subaru will design the current FA20 (which is very potent) to meet the requirements of the industry. Think FA20 with compression dropped to 9.5:1.

#29 ·
The Saabaru was better in many ways than the Subaru WRX wagons (steering, wheels, interior). By the time it came out Saab had completely lost the plot, at least in the US. When your company is struggling to sell cars why not return my emails or use the telephone?...

Anyway: the ideal STi motor at this point would be a 350HP, 35MPG 1,6L unit. Although displacement doesn't matter in the US, in other parts of the world 2,0L is simply too big -- it's too expensive to buy and overtaxed so it's also too expensive to own.

The interior could be something like this one, my fav, from a Maserati Quattroporte of yesteryear:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Maserati_Quattroporte_int.jpg

Have Honda assemble the whole thing in the USA somewhere, and voila!

More realistically even a 2,0L 350HP/35MPG FA-based engine would be brillaint too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.