Gumpert Explodes from the grave with 420hp 2.0L sport coupe
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gumpert Explodes from the grave with 420hp 2.0L sport coupe within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Gumpert, an unfortunately named and styled supercar make, is back from the dead with new investors and a new lease ...

I Support ClubWRX

Gumpert Explodes from the grave with 420hp 2.0L sport coupe

Gumpert, an unfortunately named and styled supercar make, is back from the dead with new investors and a new lease on life. Roland Gumpert, the founder and owner of the brand, is a former director of Audi Sport during the famous Group B rally years. Under his leadership, Audi won a total of 25 World Rally Championship races and 4 World Rally Championship titles, so his rally pedigree is about as good as it gets. His first car, the mid-engined Apollo, held the Top Gear lap record for quite some time, although it was somewhat aesthetically-challenged.

Their new car, unveiled today at the Geneva Motor Show, is quite a looker, and checked off all the spec items rally-lovers like: front-engined, AWD, 2.0L turbo engine with... wait for it... 420 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque, presumably sourced from Audi. There will also be an "Exposion S" model, with extracts a tremendous 503 horsepower and 461 lb-ft from its 2.5 liter turbo 5-cyl. The base model 0-60 time is 3 seconds flat. Although not officially mentioned, it appears power is put to the ground via a six-speed manual, judging from the photos.

Beyond the drivetrain, the chassis is a tubular and CF frame overlaid with aluminum and fiberglass bodywork. The interior is a rather spartan mix of parts-bin Audi gear, but with that much power up front, the fewer interior distractions the better.

Inexplicably, the car is called the "Explosion", which hopefully isn't an indication of what the ringlands are doing...
    Pricing starts at $144k.

Gumpert Explosion extracts 420 horses from just 2.0 liters - Autoblog

Press Release:
    THE GUMPERT STORY CONTINUES
    The GUMPERT explosion takes the stage

It is the advent of a new sports car, set to be premiered at the Geneva Motor Show 2014. In this Roland Gumpert is continuing a never-ending story, one that so often provides moments in which we are left amazed and astounded. One of these moments is called explosion, and it is here and now.

In this two-seater sports car, Roland Gumpert satisfies the expectations of all those who believe that this kind of car is madness. And it's true. But this time it is not about a racing sport as a flipped-over airplane on wheels, even if the GUMPERT explosion would be more than capable of zipping round the circuit. It is far more serious. A car with 4-wheel drive, distributing its 420 hp and a torque of 520Nm over all four wheels. A start like a catapult, banging on the door of 0 to 100 km/h inside of 3.0 seconds. These values have more in common with motorbikes. And it comes as no surprise that a '3' is first in line when it comes to maximum speed. Given its components, the purpose of this car's manufacture is the sole logical, reasonable conclusion: the thrill of driving with positive and negative acceleration values otherwise seen only in the confines of racing sport. And yet it is entirely a GUMPERT – built for the road. It doesn't take long to work out where this car feels most comfortable, seemingly suggesting winding roads, mountains and coastlines. We can fairly assume that GUMPERT explosion is one of those cars whose brake lights disappear from our field of vision as if they were never there.

These values are delivered based on Gumpert's typical consistently rigid, lightweight construction using a tubular frame and bodywork made of a carbon, glass fibre-reinforced plastic and aluminium mix. The communal pool of ideas by young engineers and designers, combined with Roland Gumpert's racing sport experience and uncompromising style, were also preserved. The designer Martin Frank is responsible for the fine lines on the GUMPERT explosion.

What is presented here is the first pre-series model to be finished; the handcrafted work involved in series production, along with individual manufacture, has already commenced. The first models in the premiere series are planned for this year. Starting at a new price of €105,000, the sports car delivers what a large swathe of motor sports enthusiasts are looking for. "We want to convey to all those drivers who love motor sports what it feels like to sit behind the wheel of a rally car", says Roland Gumpert.

The vehicle was developed and constructed by a small team from GSM Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur GmbH centred around Mr Gumpert, based out of the interim workshops in and around Ingolstadt. Visit us at the Geneva Motor Show, stand 2057, GSM Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur. We are delighted to answer any press queries under presse@torpedoleipzig.de

The Gumpert Story.

Always look ahead. A qualified mechanical and trial engineer, Roland Gumpert started working in vehicle development at Audi AG in 1969. The man responsible for the Audi 50's testing and model support advanced through a series of positions to become head of department in 'advance development' and 'chassis and assemblies testing'. Roland Gumpert took the reins at Audio Sport and Special Development in 1981. Over the following years he and his Audi Team won several constructor's and driver's world championships in rally sport. These legendary Audi victories continue to define the success story of the Quattro, exceeding even the wildest expectations at what just a few years previously had been a fairly stuffy vehicle mark.

And Roland Gumpert holds true to this philosophy even today. It seemed natural that after so many years working for Audi all over the world he would set up his own motor vehicle company, Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur. This is where he created and produced the GUMPERT apollo, which in 2009, coming in at a time of 7:11:57, set the record on the North curve.

The Gumpert story continues!
    The GUMPERT explosion takes the stage of the Nürburgring for street legal vehicles with combustion engine and without additional electrical driving control. And in this vehicle Roland Gumpert introduced racecourse technology to the kind of driver who really wanted to feel what it means to drive cars at fast speeds, even without membership in a racing team or possession of a racing license. This car was a ready-to-race with number plate, one that gets you all in a lather from the pure exertion of driving and because otherwise you would simply be too slow.

So now in 2014, Roland Gumpert presents the explosion, built by the new GSM Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur GmbH. A catapult start for cruisers with lead feet on the gas pedal. A car with rally technology, entirely to Roland Gumpert's taste and clad in the guise of an elegant, imaginative boyhood dream, built for winding roads and ice cream parlours. Roland Gumpert is making new dreams come true.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Love the car.

In a similar story, "The Gumpert Explosion" sounds like a WWII era nuclear test gone horribly a rye.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Looks like the 2019 Subaru WRX Camaro edition.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Looks like the 2019 Subaru WRX Camaro edition.
    It would only have 265 hp though.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd love to see an Audi turbo 5 making those numbers again, the sound was amazing back in the rally era. Of all the cars, the Audi 5s sounded the angriest. The car itself is too SubaMitsu in styling for me but the rest sounds great -- except the location of the engine.

The engine is in the wrong spot. Gumpert knew this then (recall the Group S Audi had the engine corrected; also recall the "truck" comments on the Quattro, even the S1 where they moved everything they could except the engine...), he certainly knows this now, right?

Still, am glad to hear of this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.