Apple announces "CarPlay" headunits for car OEMs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Apple announces "CarPlay" headunits for car OEMs within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; While I realize Pioneer has offered iOS and Android app functionality for some time through it's AppRadio line, and a ...

I Support ClubWRX

Apple announces "CarPlay" headunits for car OEMs

While I realize Pioneer has offered iOS and Android app functionality for some time through it's AppRadio line, and a couple other aftermarket manufacturers have similar offerings, Apple has officially announced their own smartphone integration architecture for automotive OEMs.

Apple announces CarPlay in-car iPhone interface - Autoblog

Highlights:
    • Direct Siri integration via a button on the wheel
    • Navigation/Apps displayed on the car's OEM media screen (will vary by automaker)
    • Third-party app support

Subaru is mentioned as one of the automotive partners, along with BMW Group, Ferrari, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota Motor Corp, and Volvo.

While I know smartphone/app integration isn't new, I really like the idea of a universal interface across vehicles. Wouldn't it be nice to have the same media features across every car you drive? While it seems that automakers control most of the hardware aspect of the media device (screen size, buttons, etc), it would be great to always have icons and functions in the same place across all vehicles you drive. I also realize Android users aren't going to care about this, and that's fine. Until Google announces a similar program (and I wouldn't be surprised if they did), Android users can use the aftermarket app systems. Windows/Blackberry users... well, not sure what to say there.

Full Press Release:
    Apple Rolls Out CarPlay Giving Drivers a Smarter, Safer & More Fun Way to Use iPhone in the Car
    CarPlay Premieres with Leading Auto Manufacturers at the Geneva International Motor Show

GENEVA―March 3, 2014―Apple® today announced that leading auto manufacturers are rolling out CarPlay, the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhone® in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch. Users can easily control CarPlay from the car's native interface or just push-and-hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate Siri® without distraction. Vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will premiere CarPlay to their drivers this week, while additional auto manufacturers bringing CarPlay to their drivers down the road include BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.

"CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. "iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we're thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva."

Apple has led consumer technology integration in the car for more than a decade. CarPlay brings your car and iPhone together for a thoughtful experience that lets drivers focus on driving, while also tapping into everything they want to do with their iPhone.

Once iPhone is connected to a vehicle with CarPlay integration, Siri helps you easily access your contacts, make calls, return missed calls or listen to voicemails. When incoming messages or notifications arrive, Siri provides an eyes-free experience by responding to requests through voice commands, by reading drivers' messages and letting them dictate responses or simply make a call.

CarPlay makes driving directions more intuitive by working with Maps to anticipate destinations based on recent trips via contacts, emails or texts, and provides routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA. You can also simply ask Siri and receive spoken turn-by-turn directions, along with Maps, which will appear on your car's built-in display.

CarPlay gives drivers access to all of their music, podcasts, audiobooks and iTunes Radio℠ with easy navigation through listening choices from the car's built-in controls or simply by asking Siri to pull up what you'd like to hear. CarPlay also supports select third-party audio apps including Spotify and iHeartRadio, so you can listen to your favorite radio services or sports broadcast apps while driving.

Pricing & Availability
    Apple CarPlay is available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5. CarPlay will be available in select cars shipping in 2014.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks very cool. I wonder how soon Subaru will pick it up. I wouldn't go out and buy a new car just because of it, but it's a nice feature.
    2014 WR Blue Pearl WRX Limited Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll have to think about the "universal interface" thing. I suppose if it's a GREAT user interface...
    If it's a well-executed interface to my iPhone, I'd be a fan, for my own personal use. The (aging) Alpine touchscreen in my wagon interfaces with an iPhone, and it's functional, but weak. (Doesn't show basic things like how long a track is, the interface itself is blocky and unattractive by modern standards, only plays audio from it, no interface to apps, etc.)
    The stock HU in my BRZ also interfaces via USB, but in some ways it's actually worse. Takes forever sometimes just to scroll around, like it's having to query the phone for new info every time you hit the scroll button. It's hard to find things with it, etc.

1st World Problems, Incorporated.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Engadget has a walk-through video of Ferrari's implementation of CarPlay here:
    Hands-on with Apple's CarPlay: when Siri met Ferrari (video)

Note that Android/Windows users aren't left out in the cold, as CarPlay is embedded within the OEM's own entertainment features. In the Ferrari demo, the Apple rep shows how CarPlay does not REPLACE Ferrari's own navigation/media system, but it simply a SUPPLEMENT interface that activates when a user pressed the "CarPlay" button. So if you have an Android phone, you could use Ferrari's own navigation/music/bluetooth/etc functions just fine, and never bother with CarPlay at all.

In a wholly un-Apple-like move, it really seems like Apple has left a great deal of control over the hardware to the OEMs, as they can choose what physical buttons are around the screen, the screen size, etc. It looks like the Ferrari unit doesn't even have a capacitive touchscreen. This seems more akin to Microsoft Sync, where Apple is simply providing a software user-interface to the car, but isn't dictating hardware. For Apple users used to the iOS interface, it seems like a great feature, but it doesn't leave anyone else out in the cold either.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.