2014 WRX vs. 2015 WRX

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX vs. 2015 WRX within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello guys, I joined clubWRX couple months ago and this is my first time writing a thread. Please correct me ...

2014 WRX vs. 2015 WRX

Hello guys,

I joined clubWRX couple months ago and this is my first time writing a thread. Please correct me if this is not right thread to discuss current WRX and 2015 new WRX. I have been a loyal fan of WRX and I am planning to get myself one within a year. I know this is too early to compare 2014 and 2015, since there are no one to give me personal experience of 2015 WRX. But still I'd like to know what you guys think and give me advice which one to choose.
    Here are my thoughts and questions on comparison of current one and the new one.

I don't like the new design and some feature of 2015 WRX (no hatch, no more rumble sound, and the wheel seems very small for body?). So I'm thinking of getting 2014 next year.

1. I have heard the current 5spd has some issues (I'm not sure what's bad and how bad it is). So how different is the new transmission compared to current one?

2. I am not planning on heavy mods, maybe stage 1 or 2. What are the pros and cons of current motor and the new 2.0 one? If you guys know a thread that dealt with this subject, please let me know.

3. In general what would you guys get? 2014? 2015?

Hope you guys a happy new year!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, it's a little soon for people to give a lot of feedback, comparing the two cars, since no one here has actually driven a '15. Same for modification...though, the word that is coming from some tuners is that the FA-series engine in the newer car can handle more power than the previous EJ engines.

I have the original "glass tranny" 5-speed WRX transmission in my 2002 bugeye. It's survived a goofball kid that owned the car before me, Stage 1, Stage 2, and a hybrid build with a larger turbocharger...because I don't drive it like a dragracer. My point is that driving style may have more to do with how long a tranny lasts, than most people want to admit. The new car's 6 speed may be deemed "bulletproof" by comparison (I don't really know), and yet there will be doofs out there grenading them by doing 5000rpm drop-clutch launches on a daily basis. Remember, in an AWD car, the wheels don't do a lot of spinning to relieve the stress along the driveline...the clutch and transmission take a real beating in those situations.

The 5-speed in the older cars are CERTAINLY not nice transmissions, but I wouldn't make it a make-or-break thing. Now, if you just prefer the ratios and additional gear of the new one, then go for it. I will say that the BRZ's 6-speed is unbelievably smoother, and more enjoyable in day-to-day rowing..but it's sourced from Lexus. I have no idea about the new WRX box.

Good luck! Make no decisions without driving both cars. Enthusiast cars shouldn't be bought based on magazine writeups or forum feedback. It's got to suit you personally, and the '14 and '15 are likely to be very different beasts, behind the wheel.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I, too, am on the fence and I don't see much opportunity for comparing the two.

My biggest concern is that, by the time there are any '15s on local lots that we can not only see in person, but also take for a test drive, the remaining selection of 14s will be thin, indeed.

Right now, I can find exactly what I want in a '14 (DGM Limited 5-door that isn't larded up with nav, sat radio or a subwoofer) within a 2-hour drive of my house and they're willing to sell it for 2% under invoice.

I'm really torn:

My pros for waiting for the '15 (not necessarily someone else's):

Power available FAR earlier
    Crisper steering
    Torque (or brake) vectoring

My cons:

It'll cost more (not sure how much)
    Concerns about buying the first year of a completely new redesign
    I'm (largely) ambivalent on the styling, but I can see them pulling some crap by releasing a reworked body in 2017. Then I'm stuck with something like a 2008 after it's rework.

I think, in the end, I'm going to snag the '14 Limited 5-door and have fun for a few years. If the new style grows on me or they tweak the body in that time, I should be able to find a willing buyer for the hatch without taking too huge a hit on depreciation, especially if Subaru holds true to the claim that they won't offer a hatch in this new generation.

If I had decided a sedan were the best choice, I think I'd wait for the '15.

5 door isn't coming anytime soon; get the '14 and save a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -akaGONZO

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Good luck! Make no decisions without driving both cars. Enthusiast cars shouldn't be bought based on magazine writeups or forum feedback. It's got to suit you personally, and the '14 and '15 are likely to be very different beasts, behind the wheel.
    I agree with this 100%

Before I test drove my WRX I prolly would not have bought it, now I love it.
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

The 2015 WRX is going to have better handling than the BRZ. And the new WRX should be just a few hundred dollars more than the 2014. They are bringing the dimensions from Impreza & alot of features over from the 2014 Forester & Outback into the new WRX. Now the turbo guage is not optional anymore.

I Support ClubWRX
    i haven't driven the 15 yet, but my buddy has. he was one of the 5 chosen to go out with buddy lasek to california. he said he thought it was kinda slow.

my own impressions from having just sat in it, is that the seats don't fit me as well as the seats in the 13 I have. they also took out the stitching of WRX in the seat back. (lame move) it does have the more modern instruments and looks a lot like the impreza. but then again, my car looks like the old impreza/forester on the inside. I'm sure the 15 is superior in some ways, but I think it sacrificed some things that current owners like. I view it the same was as with Jeeps. The newer they get, the more refined they get, thus the less jeep-like they get.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

Disappointed with the 2015 and how Subaru stopped making the 2014...in 2014. Was hoping to get one when I graduate in May...that's looking like a slim possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to get a 2015 but, like most im waiting for two things...
    1: I wanna see a hatchback come out
    2: I don't wanna buy a 2015 and then have a nicer re-worked exterior come out 2 years later.
    My friend is a such a hardcore subie enthuseist and encyclopedia. he claims the tranny in the '15 wrx's are the same trans found in the frs/brz but have a stronger clutch and better quality/strength internals. The engineer who designed the trans spoke to road n track and claimed this new trans can take multiple redline clutch dumps like a champ. and to test that theory, the tester did 16 redline clutch-dumps back to back without a single issue. The tester got there fastest 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds by doing a first gear clutch dump at 6700, shifting to second gear at 5800 and running second gear to redline. so those are some pretty inspiring words as far as the trans. The engine we all can safely say will handle more power then the currrent EJ, for two reasons; direct injection and an angled connecting rod design. I could see 350-360 whp and about the same for torque as a national average for people who modify these cars.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

in the end I know I will have one of the newer ones but, I may wait until they refresh the exterior and introduce a hatch variant.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.