Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread

984K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  blue_subae 
#1 ·
Can we all stop freaking out about the no hatch rumor? Until it's confirmed, there's nothing to worry about.

Remember the iPhone 4S? We were all 100% positive then iPhone 5 was coming out next then BLAM! iPhone 4S.

Mods, can we merge a few of the comments from the 2014 thread on to this one? I think there has been some overlap.

#4 ·
So to feed the fire a little bit I would like to talk about powertrain choice.

If Subaru uses the tired old 2.5 that's been used since 2009 I will freak out! I realize we haven't heard anything but, I feel like they will. I would like to see some innovation put into the 2015 cars and using the same motor reeks of complacency.

Hopefully will will see or hear something from the LA Auto Show in November.

#24 ·
If they go with a 2.0 instead of 2.5 does that mean it's going to be slower off the line? I can't stand how much less power the 2013 Impreza has than the 2012. I test drove a 2011 Impreza with a 2.5 and it gets going very easily with little clutch manipulation. I ended up getting the 2013 2.0 Impreza because I like the look, but it's quite slow to start off and you really gotta be slow with the clutch or let the engine rev. I'm planning to get a WRX when the new re-design comes out.

I also test drove a 2011 WRX and it had about the same power as the 2011 Impreza from a stop (without revving of course).

I just worry that a 2.0 WRX will have crap power from a stop which I can't stand. (But of course plenty of power at higher rpms).

#5 ·
I saw a story saying that it would use a 2.5 good for 265 hp... I highly highly doubt it, the new forester has a new direct injected 2.0. The new 2.0 is more efficient and creates more power than the out going motor. Why would Subaru not hop that sucker up and put it in the new WRX/STI?

As far as the hatch, I could see the STI going back to sedan only, but not the WRX. I think the Wagon sells too well for them to axe it, I could see people who are on the fence jumping to the Focus ST and the MS3.

#7 ·
But if it's on the intrawebz, it absolutely has to be true, right!?!?!

#10 ·
2015 impreza wrx/sti is gonna be the current sedan impreza with a flatter nose ....now once we get over that shock and the no hatch back (stupid not making one imho) ....but hey carry on ...now will we get recaro seats ? dont hold your breath, will it get better mpg or close to a focus ST again dont hold yer breath ....its one of reason why ford wont/didnt make the focus ST or the upcoming rumored RS with awd ...its a weight thing ! and will finally the impreza interior look feel better maybe even use some euro plastics who knows ...again down hold yer breath :p

rambling off...

#12 ·
Ah good, keeping with tradition, then. Every new Impreza model introduced has been something of a let-down to the existing fanbase, since at least 2002.

#13 ·
For me to be a player it needs:

*6MT
*265+ HP
*30+ MPG highway
*$26,500 or less
*Ice cold AC
*Auto dimming rearview
*blue tooth
*33" plus rear leg room
*folding rear seats

Not required but preferred:

*Hatch
*recaros
*sub 3400 lbs
*DSG option
*less understeer
*stiffer suspension
*top mounted cartridge oil filter
*no timing belt
*non auto ac
*radio delete or non nav option
*push button start
*dccd
*mechanical lsd

#36 · (Edited)
techguy911 said:
If they go with a 2.0 instead of 2.5 does that mean it's going to be slower off the line? I can't stand how much less power the 2013 Impreza has than the 2012. I test drove a 2011 Impreza with a 2.5 and it gets going very easily with little clutch manipulation. I ended up getting the 2013 2.0 Impreza because I like the look, but it's quite slow to start off and you really gotta be slow with the clutch or let the engine rev. I'm planning to get a WRX when the new re-design comes out.

I also test drove a 2011 WRX and it had about the same power as the 2011 Impreza from a stop (without revving of course).

I just worry that a 2.0 WRX will have crap power from a stop which I can't stand. (But of course plenty of power at higher rpms).
techguy911 said:
I'm talking about the 2.5 to 2.0 displacement difference having an effect on the low end power, power from a stop.

And yes, a normal "manual transmission" start from a stop feels similar between a WRX and Impreza, unless you're doing a revved up clutch drop. It's not like the WRX is a 3.6L V6 which has lots of power idle. Do you understand the concept of how the power curve of a turbo engine works?
In reference to the bolded section: you're new here, but my advice is to leave your attitude at the door. Your attempt to be wise/funny/belittling, can actually be turned around on you.

In response to your question/concern, engine displacement is only part of the picture...

HINT: Why is a 2.1L EJ205 stroker build much more responsive than a EJ205 2.0L build when it's only marginally more engine displacement? ;)

#38 ·
You're right, I had a harsh reply to the apparent dismissal of my question.

But I think it's a valid concern that a lower displacement could cause less low end power. Yes I know there are lots of other factors, but I was trying to specifically discuss potential negatives to the move from 2.5 to 2.0.

In reference to the bolded section: you're new here, but my advice is to leave your attitude at the door.

In response to your question/concern, engine displacement is only part of the picture...

HINT: Why is a 2.1L EJ205 stroker build much more responsive than a EJ205 2.0L build when it's only marginally more engine displacement? ;)

#39 ·
techguy911 said:
But I think it's a valid concern that a lower displacement could cause less low end power. Yes I know there are lots of other factors, but I was trying to specifically discuss potential negatives to the move from 2.5 to 2.0.
Again, displacement is only part of the equation...

You're neglecting crucial things like rod/stroke ratio, compression ratio, etc. which all will have an effect on the powerband. You're blowing your load before she takes it out of your pants.

#41 · (Edited)
techguy911 said:
But you can't assume Subaru will tweak everything else to make up for a lower displacement. There is a real possibility of a loss of low end power, don't you think?
And you can't assume that they won't...

Absolutely, it's possible that Subaru will design the car to be a more rev-happy motor, in which power delivery is shifted right in the RPM range, but they could also try to keep it closer to where it is now, with less displacement.

Without knowing specifics, there is no way to tell. I don't really follow the "latest news" that comes out, so I may not be aware of specs, but until they are released, speculation is futile.

#43 ·
This whole thread is all about speculating, since there's no real news.

But I guess there's nothing more to think about with the 2.0 rumor.

I just hope the concept doesn't in fact show the direction Subaru is going in. I don't want a lower to the ground, less rugged, less offroad, wider, bulkier WRX. If they want to make a car like that, fine, but don't call it a WRX. They already have the BRZ for their non rugged/offroad sports car.

#48 ·
Sadly, if Subaru is anything like other car companies, they will dance to the songs society plays. If they are losing money on their "offroad, rallycross" models, they will shift their focus to something that will make them the bigger dollars.

However, the Impreza model has always sold very well, from what I understand. I don't know why they would change up the formula, other than maybe to make the car more budget friendly. The WRXs and STIs aren't exactly the cheapest cars out there.

BTW, its amazing to me how they've been able to maintain their "niche" with the AWD and boxer engine thing. They've really not strayed from those two things that really make a Subaru different than alot of other cars. I'd have thought by now that alot of people would have written them off due to the differences, I mean ask anyone who has owned a mid-engine type car like the MR2, they're different but can be expensive to maintain/repair due to their unique nature. I suppose that is a large part of the draw for people too though, at the same time.

#49 ·
I think the salient question is what will they do with the VX? It's the compact rugged hatch that could use a fiestier power plant. If they take that model into auto cross territory and bolt on some performance it could eat into WRX/STI hatch positioning.

Pp

#51 ·
I find it an mystifying and intriguing marketing ploy to finally release official images of the new 2015 WRX on a random television show showcasing Subaru's new safety technology.

Bravo, Subaru, no one saw that coming!

Because it makes no sense at all. But that's the internet for you, grasping at any straw.

#52 ·
As much as I love Fast Lane Daily, that was poor journalism. Reporting on rumors as if they are fact is pretty careless.

Nothing about the 2015's has been confirmed by Subaru. Speculation is one thing but to say it is fact is not cool in my book.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)

#53 ·
It's sad, I suppose...I'm really struggling to get interested in the new model. I like my rude and crude 2002, and the farther Subaru gets from that, refines, makes it look like everything else, etc, the harder the sell is, for me. Maybe I should go test drive a recent model, to renew my Subie-love!

#55 ·
Funny thing is, Derek D who hosts Fast Lane Daily is a buddy of mine from college :cool:

#60 ·
Source: HOJ.com

The new-generation Subaru WRX will reach Australia in less than six months’ time and be followed soon after by its hardcore WRX STI sibling.

-Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior confirmed the all-new fourth-generation WRX would land in local showrooms in March, around two months ahead of the flagship STI that’s due in the second quarter of 2014.

The latest installment of the Japanese manufacturer’s iconic all-wheel-drive sports car is set to be a scaled-down version of the Subaru WRX concept that debuted at the New York auto show in March.

#61 ·
This whole thread is worthy of a big 'ol MEH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.