Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread

984K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  blue_subae 
#1 ·
Can we all stop freaking out about the no hatch rumor? Until it's confirmed, there's nothing to worry about.

Remember the iPhone 4S? We were all 100% positive then iPhone 5 was coming out next then BLAM! iPhone 4S.

Mods, can we merge a few of the comments from the 2014 thread on to this one? I think there has been some overlap.

#2,574 ·
I'm still undecided on how I feel about ELH on my BRZ. On the WRX...I don't know, the lack of unequal length burble is weird for me. Just my opinion, obviously..

#2,576 ·
There is something really great about the rumble. :)

There is something really great about a great new engine too though. :)

#2,583 ·
whats up every body im new to this forum but have been looking at this thread for a bit. So im searching for a new car and i am going to be ready to buy it in about a month. It is either between the 2014 civic Si sedan or the 2015 wrx. Im 23 years old and I do not know how to drive a stick shift car. Do you guys recommend me going with the subaru or would i have too many problem learning with it. And how flexible are they with the wrx pricing?? because they really don't give a discount on the Si

#2,592 ·
Im 23 years old and I do not know how to drive a stick shift car. Do you guys recommend me going with the subaru or would i have too many problem learning with it.
If you personally like the WRX as much as many do here, it may be a tough decision. I was in a similar situation to this when I was going to buy a WRX a couple months ago.

I would not buy a WRX before I knew how to drive stick. Especially if it's a car you really want. It will hurt a lot less to go through the learning curves on a vehicle that is of less value to you. There are many options for learning but even getting the basics down before signing for the car would be a good idea.

A month after my WRX deal didn't go through, my Legacy was totaled from an accident. I then decided to sign a cheap lease on a 5 speed sedan. Being 1 month into driving stick, I am happy I have this car to learn on before I get a WRX. To be proficient with driving stick you need practice. IMHO, I'd like to have my skills down before signing for a new WRX. Just my $.02

#2,584 ·
Having owned an 07 Civic Si for 3 years, I can tell you the car is plenty of fun with plenty of aftermarket parts, plus it's cheaper than even a based model WRX. However, imho, the WRX has a lot more to offer than the spirited, ugly looking Civic Si, starting with awd and 268hp which translate to plenty of fun in either the track, dirrt or the snow.. That's not to say the Civic is not a great car, that K20 engine is indeed a dream to tune. But imo, after having owned the Si, I just think you'd enjoy the WRX a lot more, specially after Cobb releases its parts if you plan on upgrading later on..

#2,594 ·
I stopped caring about straight-line speed a long time ago. I don't want an anemic motor, but my priority has shifted to caring more about speed through the corners and feel of the car to drive.

If acceleration was my priority, I could have done a lot better with $36k.

#2,595 ·
^^^^Yes this, this...and yes this. Lots of curvy roads and corners where I live, and was tired of my last car sounding and feeling like it was going to crumble around each corner. The REX handles around the same corners I've been driving for years like an effortless magic carpet. I Definitely didn't buy mine for straight take off speed, but as stated, coming off of a Sonata, it feels like a rocket ship.

#2,601 ·
No need for SI Drive, they should just have tuned it better. I never understood the need to dumb down gas pedal response times when right foot modulation works just as well. The CVT SI isn't quite the same as in the STI - I mode is designed to get the best smoothness and economy out the of the CVT, up to S# which is designed to reach and hold on to higher revs for a better response. I can't say if the pedal response is equivalent to that of the manual as I haven't found the need to try one yet. My theory is that Subaru deliberately under-tune their cars as they know that many buyers will do it themselves (and thus reduce warranty expenditure).

#2,603 ·
I can't agree with that lol. IMHO no CVT will be better in anything than a manual except not having to shift. I loved a good zf 8 speed (f type & bmw) or DCT/DSG/etc. but a cvt doesn't compare to those boxes imo. Very disappointed by the choice of cvt in the wrx. I would have bought a auto box if it was a better one

#2,616 ·
I don't know, a stage 2 STi is no slouch...once Cobb releases an AP for it, the '15 STi might just be the "both" you're looking for.

I know that, coming from my stage 3 '12 WRX, I was expecting my new STi to feel slow (since it is rated at about 100 less crank hp than my modded WRX was). Honestly, this car is more fun to drive in every way. I don't feel myself lacking for straight line acceleration. I can throw it in the corners at speeds that would have sent my WRX skidding into a ditch, and the STi just yawns and asks, "Is that all you've got?" It goes where you point it, and it goes there pretty quickly, with grip and a solid planted feel. The interior is still not Lexus, but I don't want or need that. The seats are nice, the steering wheel is awesome, the wheels are great, the exhaust sounds mean without droning or being obnoxious, and I've got enough little amenities to make me happy with my purchase. I've never been so happy with a car, or enjoyed a car so much in stock form, ever.

Having said that, I'm almost giddy thinking about what stage 2 would feel like, or even stage 1. Sure, still not the fastest straight line car ever, but for the money and versatility it can't be bested by any car currently in production.

All in all, I have to agree with Subaru saying this is the best STi ever built.

#2,627 ·
Some '15 STi dynos are showing 269whp STOCK. Maybe we can't just generalize what a stage 2 STi will dyno any more. Or maybe those numbers are inflated to create hype. Either way, a stage 2 STi of any year isn't really a slow car by any means.

But honestly, even if it is "only" 285whp, that's not a slow car. I understand there are faster cars, but there are no faster cars with 4 doors, AWD, 6spd manual and the safety and convenience of an STi for the same price or less. Not a single one.

All that to say, I would not trade my "not that fast" Swiss Army knife STi for a 1,000hp Mustang, Camaro, SRT8, or anything of the sort.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk

#2,619 ·
Finally had the time to go by the dealer yesterday.. Saw one of the LE blue STi with gold bbs wheels, the car looks amazing! Pics really don't do it justice, and so does the WRX. Im surprised at how much the side skirts protrude on this car, but they do look very nice. DGM is darker than I imagined, I thought it was black at first. Went looking for a white one but they didn't have one, it's the color selling the most apparently..

#2,620 ·
White is the new silver. It's the most popular color in the world now. That's why I went with DGM. That, and during the snow season I have a strange fear that a white car will blend in with a snow bank when I'm pulling out and I'll get hit somehow. But color is subjective. However, the performance is objectively fantastic. Is it a beat all, speed demon in all cases and RPMs? No. But whatever color you decide to rock, you'll be rocking in fun style none the less.

Hope you get to drive/buy one soon!

#2,628 ·
My bro in law literally JUST now placed his '15 CWP STi order, lol.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk

#2,630 · (Edited)
Could be, but I think there's a slight drop to it, maybe 1"?

Yeah, I've been using the 2014 STI as a model to view and help pick out rims. I'm still a ways off from zeroing in on a set, but they're coming.

I'm going tomorrow with the wife to the Subaru dealership.
Grats dude and good luck! I'm guessing the talk with the Ms. finally went through with a positive message received? :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.