The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 87
+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 214 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 3198

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax All of us are doing it. What about you?! I'm not quite sure what my immediate ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    All of us are doing it. What about you?!
    I'm not quite sure what my immediate "Car future" holds. I have a kid that will be taking driver's ed in 3 months...and she wants the bugeye, bad. I'm a little leary of that..it's about 3X the power that a teenager should start with, IMO. I could have it tuned down (is that reasonable? can you tune an 18G-equipped car down to a lower level, and still have it be safe and driveable?) or I could sell it and buy her a more reasonable car.

I don't like that last option..I have a feeling that I would miss that car in a big way, once it left my driveway. Someone has to hold on to a bugeye around here, that's over the age of 20.

I'm not yet thinking about my next car for myself. It's a ways away, probably. And I'm still loving my BRZ....a good sign, now that I've had it for 9 months.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was a complete idiot with a Honda Accord. I regularly hit speeds over 90mph, got it up to 105mph. No airbags, and I always did it on roads that cut through a wooded area. Just pure and plain stupid. I'd never do anything like that now. Ever. (Except in a rally race or something. That way innocent people wouldn't be at risk.. I hope)
    So i personally wouldn't trust a kid like myself with a powerful car. But that AWD. Man. Good luck with that decision. Glad it's not me going through that thought process.

-GhostStrykre

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm not quite sure what my immediate "Car future" holds. I have a kid that will be taking driver's ed in 3 months...and she wants the bugeye, bad. I'm a little leary of that..it's about 3X the power that a teenager should start with, IMO. I could have it tuned down (is that reasonable? can you tune an 18G-equipped car down to a lower level, and still have it be safe and driveable?) or I could sell it and buy her a more reasonable car.

I don't like that last option..I have a feeling that I would miss that car in a big way, once it left my driveway. Someone has to hold on to a bugeye around here, that's over the age of 20.

I'm not yet thinking about my next car for myself. It's a ways away, probably. And I'm still loving my BRZ....a good sign, now that I've had it for 9 months.
    Grab her an Imprezza. Perfect car for young people.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I've actually thought a lot about an NA Impreza. Safe and slowish. And yo, I could drop in a turboed FA20 tuned to 380hp...oh wait, that would defeat the purpose...

I was also a big idiot at 16, in a Chevy Impala with a 350 small block. Talk about a car that no one intended to cruise at over 100mph...but which did on numerous occasions. Girls always seemed a little more sensible, statistically speaking, when I was in high school. But who knows.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I'm not quite sure what my immediate "Car future" holds. I have a kid that will be taking driver's ed in 3 months...and she wants the bugeye, bad. I'm a little leary of that..it's about 3X the power that a teenager should start with, IMO.
    If someone had given me a stock WRX when I was 17 I probably would not have lived to see 18. I don't think I wouldn't have afforded the insurance anyway - in the UK teenagers are given a hard time because of the way we tend to drive. On saying that, you know your daughter better than us. My wife would borrow her dad's V8 Mustang when she was young, and I don't think she ever took it above 2000 revs. If you trust her then go for it, but otherwise think of this - if she gets into a serious accident because she was playing around, you will never forgive yourself for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    If someone had given me a stock WRX when I was 17 I probably would not have lived to see 18. I don't think I wouldn't have afforded the insurance anyway - in the UK teenagers are given a hard time because of the way we tend to drive. On saying that, you know your daughter better than us. My wife would borrow her dad's V8 Mustang when she was young, and I don't think she ever took it above 2000 revs. If you trust her then go for it, but otherwise think of this - if she gets into a serious accident because she was playing around, you will never forgive yourself for it.
    ....dayum... that last sentence is for serious. Maybe consider a Nissan leaf or a prius. I can't think of anything slower right now.

-GhostStrykre

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm torn on what an ideal first car should be.
    I had a rwd buick skylark clunker my parents bought me (for well under $1k) for my first which really taught me quite bit about cars and how hey handle. Put it in a ditch the first week I had a permanent license around a corner with loose gravel and then again in the pouring rain on a curvy road a year later. Then I had several crappy manual cars like a Nissan Sentra wagon, Mazda 626, Nissan 200sx a Toyota Tercel. I may be forgetting a car or two in there somewhere but I think that was all of them before my first new car. None of these cars were new or even cost more than $2k. But I learned quite a bit driving them.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrykre View Post
    ....dayum... that last sentence is for serious. Maybe consider a Nissan leaf or a prius. I can't think of anything slower right now.
    -GhostStrykre
    Not everyone would see it that way, but I have the impression that Ray would take responsibility for her actions. I have no doubt that he will make the correct decision based on how he thinks she will drive. I don't think he'll buy her a Prius though - no point in buying her something she is going to want to crash, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I'm torn on what an ideal first car should be.
    Civic, Mazda 3, Impreza - anything easy to drive with a 5 star safety rating. If I were a teenager I would probably not agree with this

It is likely that my 4 year will be getting a 2014 Forester though, if my wife has finished with it by then.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 03-28-2014 at 02:18 PM.

For those of you who wanted the concept (and are willing to pay for it):
    UK designer to make WRX Concept-aping body kit for production Subaru

I Support ClubWRX
    What Raven Logics said makes a lot of sense..you have to evaluate each child based on what you know about them. This kid could go either way...she's a damn sight smarter than I was at that age, but also has a "fearless" thing going on. She won a 1st place in barrel-racing in the last horse show, if any of you know what that means.

Not quite sure what to do on this front. I have about a year to sort it out. Having a powerful car for my first was good and bad...I learned out to control oversteer (hell, I powerslid that thing around wet parking lots every chance I got), but I was a teenaged male trying to make up for the fact that he was barely 5 feet tall. (Finally made it to 5'7" in college!)

I suspect that the right thing to do is to sell it, in favor of something that appears "fun" to her, but that is reasonable, like a used, recent-model VW Beetle. For some reason it breaks my heart, though..
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I suspect that the right thing to do is to sell it, in favor of something that appears "fun" to her, but that is reasonable, like a used, recent-model VW Beetle. For some reason it breaks my heart, though..
    Don't get VW anything unless you plan on spending countless weekends with a multimeter chasing electrical gremlins. My friend's Beetle had all sorts of issues, but hey, it had a stick shift and was glacially slow, so it's got that going for it, I guess.

Any way would could put the bugeye into storage and find an inexpensive "starter" car without selling the bugeye? You're more than welcome to park the bugeye at my house if you make that Cascades hike you were thinking about.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    For those of you who wanted the concept (and are willing to pay for it):
    UK designer to make WRX Concept-aping body kit for production Subaru
    that's pretty awesome. i definitely would never be one of the first 50 to order that, but i like the idea.

What Raven Logics said makes a lot of sense..you have to evaluate each child based on what you know about them. This kid could go either way...she's a damn sight smarter than I was at that age, but also has a "fearless" thing going on. She won a 1st place in barrel-racing in the last horse show, if any of you know what that means.

Not quite sure what to do on this front. I have about a year to sort it out. Having a powerful car for my first was good and bad...I learned out to control oversteer (hell, I powerslid that thing around wet parking lots every chance I got), but I was a teenaged male trying to make up for the fact that he was barely 5 feet tall. (Finally made it to 5'7" in college!)

i agree with willbo on the impreza suggestion. my family was super pro-Honda so i never knew about subaru's until i got older. at this point in my life, i wish i had had an impreza in my teens. it just seems right to me. but giving up your WRX def blows. is it possible to remove the turbo on the WRX and make it naturally aspirated (this is a serious question, i really don't know if this is possible)?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrykre View Post
    that's pretty awesome. i definitely would never be one of the first 50 to order that, but i like the idea.

i agree with willbo on the impreza suggestion. my family was super pro-Honda so i never knew about subaru's until i got older. at this point in my life, i wish i had had an impreza in my teens. it just seems right to me. but giving up your WRX def blows. is it possible to remove the turbo on the WRX and make it naturally aspirated (this is a serious question, i really don't know if this is possible)?
    Technically possible, but not practical. A simpler method would be use something like an Accessport or ECUtek system that offers map switching. One map is a copy of what the car uses now, and the other is wastegate pressure only map with very conservative timing. That would be less expensive than buying a new car, you keep the bugeye, yet it's not giving your new driver a 350hp road rocket.

At least you can have peace of mind know the bugeye chassis and safety systems are top notch. I can personally attest to that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Found her first car right here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1987_toyota_corolla-pic-8843584458992485575.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	141377

The car will train her to become the best, and she'll start at a snails pace!

I Support ClubWRX
    That would be a nice bookend to my modern variant of the 86, lol!
    My car was tuned with an AccessPort, so I supposed I could get a wastegate-pressure map made.

Yeah, I have doubts about the VW option as well, Isaac. I brought it up because she thinks that they're cute.
    Sorry, I took this thread waaaay OT...back to our regularly scheduled program...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.