The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 211 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Already seen it in the focus group in June (posted this elsewhere, but figured this is a better spot). The ...

Already seen it in the focus group in June (posted this elsewhere, but figured this is a better spot). The "rendering" red car is IT. Sorry for those that don't like it, but that's the car, 99% of what I saw even down to the sharkfin antennae.

Oh and by the way, the one we saw in the focus group was a 6-speed. They told us it was the WRX. Additionally, we were all sedan owners (7 of us total), so they seemed to be pretty interested in sedan owners for that particular session.

They showed it alongside two hatchbacks though, which was weird, the Golf and new Focus. Got to sit in them all. They would not let us open the engine bay on the 2015 WRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Astrolia View Post
    Already seen it in the focus group in June (posted this elsewhere, but figured this is a better spot). The "rendering" red car is IT. Sorry for those that don't like it, but that's the car, 99% of what I saw even down to the sharkfin antennae.

Oh and by the way, the one we saw in the focus group was a 6-speed. They told us it was the WRX. Additionally, we were all sedan owners (7 of us total), so they seemed to be pretty interested in sedan owners for that particular session.

They showed it alongside two hatchbacks though, which was weird, the Golf and new Focus. Got to sit in them all. They would not let us open the engine bay on the 2015 WRX.
    How was the interior?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Yes, interior, forgot to mention. It was loaded, looked really good, but the roof material was really really weird and cheap looking, like coarse fiberglass (perhaps a thrown together fabric). Granted again this was June. A "big" change for me was the gauge arrangement. The rpm gauge was not larger NOR in the middle like 2011+ wrx's. Also, just remembered, the steering wheel was flat on the bottom, like the other subaru cars have now. They kept the red stitching all around. If i think of more I will chime in, or people can ask and my memory might be jogged.

Oh also. HATED the "economy car" small glass pieces in front of the mirrors. Session leader tried to say better visibility, yeah right...

EDIT: OH! Forgot, looks like they are actually putting a good soundsystem in it. They were Harman Kardon or something, but please, don't quote me on that, I don't remember. They were very interested in our thoughts about the following:

1) Hatch
    2) CVT transmissions (yes they were serious)
    3) fuel economy
    4) sound system
    5) importance for us for AWD, performance, etc etc

EDIT 2: steering wheel buttons were the new style of subaru steering wheel buttons, which personally I don't like.
    Last edited by Astrolia; 11-13-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
    I guess the one thing we've learned from this is that Subaru's PR wing does not in fact ever come in contact with its design/engineering wings.
    I heard that they had tried to communicate with the design team, but had no response. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that Subaru actually has no design team. Not since the mid-nineties, I think.

CVT? **** no!!! That is the worst thing I've driven by Subaru...a 2013 Legacy with the CVT. I couldn't imagine that being in a performance oriented car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    CVT? **** no!!! That is the worst thing I've driven by Subaru...a 2013 Legacy with the CVT. I couldn't imagine that being in a performance oriented car.
    I would never choose an CVT....however the CVT on the 2014 Forester XT is pretty nice, especially in sport or sport # mode. Shifts are quick and smooth. From what I understand, it's a different unit then the Legacy.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll be interested to hear about how it drives. If they went back to roots with the suspension and road feel (channeled a little bit of "bugeye raw"), give it a responsive engine, a nicer transmission, then I could be a fan of the car. This is not the trend, however.

A CVT can be quick and smooth, whatever...but I still won't want it in my enthusiast car. Fine for the minivan or the wife's sedan, or whatever.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    I would never choose an CVT....however the CVT on the 2014 Forester XT is pretty nice, especially in sport or sport # mode. Shifts are quick and smooth. From what I understand, it's a different unit then the Legacy.
    Agreed. My Murano has a CVT and have no complaints. I would never want one and neither did any of the 6 other guys in the focus group.

We did though mention we weren't against it, as long as manual was still offered.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'll be interested to hear about how it drives. If they went back to roots with the suspension and road feel (channeled a little bit of "bugeye raw"), give it a responsive engine, a nicer transmission, then I could be a fan of the car. This is not the trend, however.

A CVT can be quick and smooth, whatever...but I still won't want it in my enthusiast car. Fine for the minivan or the wife's sedan, or whatever.

That's how I feel. Even if it doesn't look as bad ass as the concept, as long as it drives like it should, I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

Also, Ray, your sig would really *pop* if it said 'Godfather of the Bugeye Mafia' instead :P

Also, this doesn't really belong here, but as long as we're talking ugly refreshes:

The Legacy concept
    https://twitter.com/subaru_usa/statu...88548196622336

So yep, the Rex and the STi will have different displacement engines. According to this information. Also, 6 speeds for the rex! Finally!!!
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've mentioned this before, but hell I'll say it again:

If this is indeed the proper information, there are some things to note:
    1. Presumably, the 2.0L will be the Turbo FA20 that debuted in JDM Forester Turbo, likely with slightly more aggressive cams
    2. Hopefully Subaru has not chosen to keep the aging EJ257 in the STi and instead will choose to turbocharge the FB25.
    3. No other Subaru model has been announced with a turbocharged 2.5L motor
    4. Given the sales volume of the WRX STi, it would seem fiscally wasteful to invest in R&D to produce a turbocharged FB25 unless with the intent on producing a halo car
    5. From a purely financial perspective, it is more likely that Subaru will choose to retain the EJ257 in the WRX STi with the inclusion of Direct Injection heads.

Given all this information, the FA20 is clearly the superior motor as has been proven by the BRZ. Why put the superior motor in the inferior car?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

http://sudorm-rf.com/Car_and_Driver_January_2014.pdf

boom

edit: they took it down. fuuuuuuuu. should have saved it. im a n00b.

editedit: found it on nasioc.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=861
    Last edited by i8buffalowings; 11-14-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i8buffalowings View Post
    "Subaru predicts a zero-to-60mph time of 5.4 seconds with the six-speed manual and 5.9 with the CVT."

... the f*#k, Subaru? Seriously? No 2 door, available CVT, still ugly. Subaru, your WRX, the long-standing icon of hooliganism and affordable driving enjoyment is becoming totally undesirable. How long before you turn it into a Corolla with AWD?

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
    Also, this doesn't really belong here, but as long as we're talking ugly refreshes:

The Legacy concept
    https://twitter.com/subaru_usa/statu...88548196622336
    lol @ Taurus/Fusion Subaru Legacy and yet again getting a size increase (exterior look).

But back on point. I need to know more definitive answers about the STI. I absolutely LOVE my 2011 sedan WRX and would only trade up to a STI (and a damn good looking and performing one at that) to replace it.