The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 64
Page 64 of 205 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by JaySin Agreed. Although since I would probably get the WRX Limited this time around, the price difference ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    Agreed. Although since I would probably get the WRX Limited this time around, the price difference is more like $4,000. That's still fairly significant.
    I agree. I've budgeted for the STi (actually the Evo X), but IMO the WRX is a much better car for the money. I will also be doing the Limited and will come in a fair amount under budget.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since I'm cross-shopping certain cars, it looks like it's about the same difference between a VW GTI / Golf R and a WRX / STI. The difference being AWD std on the WRX and not available on a GTI.
    That being said, I think the WRX pricing is VERY fair. I'd have to wait for the full reviews of the new STI to come out before judging the difference to be too much. From what I've read on cars like the new Golf R, the price difference for that model is justified. Those are the cars I'm interested in thus my examples. *commencing defensive stance*
    No defense needed on that. You're points are exactly my thoughts too. In the VW you're moving up from FWD to AWD. That is a huge improvement that makes spending the extra money worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    For a daily driver, no. Keep in mind, that the STi's weapon is still the drivetrain. If you want to build a track car, the proper diffs on the STi are going to make all the difference. To install the diffs in a WRX, you'd still be paying more than $8200.

For the rest of us, the WRX will be more than enough car for the street. The brake vectoring is excellent and we will never see the point when brake-fade will affect the brake-vectoring capability. It's really quite a shame the STi did not follow suit with the FA20, but I suppose time will tell.
    Exactly, the WRX is the better buy for a majority of people right now. We will see if Subaru does anything to change that gap in the coming years
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I just want to add that Brake Vectoring may be the equivalent of an LSD on the street, but on the track it can increase the brake wear and lead to brake fade. One lap of the Top Gear test track may not be enough to judge the difference, but a true race will show the dominance of mechanical LSDs over brake vectoring.

I will say, however, that for the street Brake Vectoring makes more sense. eLSDs are cheaper to implement (since the hardware is mostly already there) and perform nearly equivalently to clutch-type speed sensing LSDs. The added benefit of the eLSD arrangement is that the brakes are easily replaceable when worn, unlike the clutch LSD which can be quite difficult.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

For the rest of us, the WRX will be more than enough car for the street.
    I'd go one step further - while there are times when I would like the close ratio gears of the STI, I generally prefer the more laid back ratios in the WRX.

I'm still waiting for a full road test review (with instrumented test numbers) of the WRX in CVT form. Has anybody find one yet or know of one coming anytime soon?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's really quite a shame the STi did not follow suit with the FA20, but I suppose time will tell.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the FA20 end up in this gen STI after a bi-yearly refresh. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if a hatch/wagon version shows up in a few years.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm still waiting for a full road test review (with instrumented test numbers) of the WRX in CVT form. Has anybody find one yet or know of one coming anytime soon?
    Best one I've found so far.

2015 Subaru WRX CVT First Test - Motor Trend
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Funny...I subscribe to Motor Trend. I assume that's in the next PAPER copy. Thanks! It's a start.

Edit: I just read it all the way through it sounds like a winner. It's a little slow, but I can fix that myself eventually. By comparison...in my 2008 4EAT (after AEM CAI, Catback and a tune) I was running 0-60 in 5.6 and 1/4 mile in 13.9@100.3MPH. I would say the most noticeable difference would be the 1/4 times, but I don't go running 1/4 tests being my DD. My current car is about 5.1-5.3 sec and 13.8 1/4 mile so not TOO much off. For the added handling prowess and a few extra MPG at the same price point...all sounds good to me.
    Last edited by JaySin; 02-12-2014 at 10:00 AM.

I just want to add that Brake Vectoring may be the equivalent of an LSD on the street, but on the track it can increase the brake wear and lead to brake fade. One lap of the Top Gear test track may not be enough to judge the difference, but a true race will show the dominance of mechanical LSDs over brake vectoring.

I will say, however, that for the street Brake Vectoring makes more sense. eLSDs are cheaper to implement (since the hardware is mostly already there) and perform nearly equivalently to clutch-type speed sensing LSDs. The added benefit of the eLSD arrangement is that the brakes are easily replaceable when worn, unlike the clutch LSD which can be quite difficult.
    On a track, don't you take all the traction controls off to get a pure driving experience? I know I do.
    So in that case the brake vectoring would be shut off and thus no extra brake wear or fade.
    I still have my heart set on the STi, I just want to see some reviews first to validate the extra expense over the WRX......

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche 911 View Post
    On a track, don't you take all the traction controls off to get a pure driving experience? I know I do.
    So in that case the brake vectoring would be shut off and thus no extra brake wear or fade.
    I still have my heart set on the STi, I just want to see some reviews first to validate the extra expense over the WRX......
    "Pure experience" is misnomer. Some features add to the experience while others detract from it. Unlike traction control which interferes with driving, torque vectoring is going to give you more performance. It's going to help mitigate understeer in the WRX, but is something you might not need in the STI.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    "Pure experience" is misnomer. Some features add to the experience while others detract from it. Unlike traction control which interferes with driving, torque vectoring is going to give you more performance. It's going to help mitigate understeer in the WRX, but is something you might not need in the STI.
    To be honest, I race an old 911 with not even abs or power steering, so I never tracked a WRX/STi and never experienced much understeer. I appreciate your comment, but I could have sworn I read somewhere when the traction control is turned off, the torque vectoring was also shut off..... I may be wrong.....

To be honest, I race an old 911 with not even abs or power steering, so I never tracked a WRX/STi and never experienced much understeer. I appreciate your comment, but I could have sworn I read somewhere when the traction control is turned off, the torque vectoring was also shut off..... I may be wrong.....
    Here is a pretty good description of both the VDC and Active Torque Vectoring:
    2015 Subaru WRX STI: Full Details, Live Photos & Video

There are three modes - On, TC off with vectoring on, all off.

Thanks guys.....

CANADIAN PRICING, before costs and taxes

WRX - C$ 29,995 / C$ 31,295 (CVT)
    WRX Sport Package - C$ 32,495 / C$ 33,795 (CVT)
    WRX Sport-tech Package - C$ 35,495 / C$ 36,795 (CVT)

WRX STI - C$ 37,995
    WRX STI Sport Package - C$ 40,495
    WRX STI Sport-tech Package - C$ 44,995

Reference:
    News Detail - News - Subaru Canada