The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 62
+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 213 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112162 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Ingo ^ and they do - don't forget Prius! And then there are people that don't care ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ and they do - don't forget Prius!
    And then there are people that don't care quite as much about the fuel economy and some of those are WRX drivers... Simply put, 6th is for cruising, not speeding. There seems to be a lot of misconception about manual transmissions. There is engine displacement, torque at different rpms, gears and ratios, physics (as in torque relating to gear-ratios). If the competitor can accelerate faster in highest gear then those highest gears are shorter and probably don't bring down RPMs as much as the 6MT. Again, the highest gear is not what determines acceleration. And generally, we WRX drivers don't mind shifting... I certainly don't...
    As far as wanting power in ALL areas to the rpm range: get a HEMI. Then enjoy flat torque curve - and flat MPG's...
    I prefer 4 cylinder turbos, AWD and compact cars, thus my shopping list of EVO, Golf R, WRX. As long as I get 20MPG or higher in DD...I don't care. I only put about 10K-11K miles on my cars per year so MPG isn't a deciding factor. Anyway, good for Subaru for making some of its fan boys happy with higher MPGs and a useless 6th gear. We all know that's the roots of the WRX...oh wait...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I prefer 4 cylinder turbos, AWD and compact cars, thus my shopping list of EVO, Golf R, WRX.
    Don't forget Audi A3/A4, Buick Regal, and a bunch of others that fall into the small 4cyl turbo AWD bracket.

Anyway, good for Subaru for making some of its fan boys happy with higher MPGs and a useless 6th gear. We all know that's the roots of the WRX...oh wait...
    Roots? You mean the lightweight and fuel-efficient Impreza all WRXs have been built on from the beginning? Seems like they're sticking to their roots quite well...

You still aren't grasping what the sixth gear is there for. Most six-speeds in cars these days are only there as an efficiency measure: providing an extra very tall cruising gear for highway cruising. Call it a mechanical "Economy mode" if that makes you feel better. The Corvette has used this tactic for years in their manual gearboxes to pass emissions standards, even going so far as to lock out first gear (forcing a start from 2nd gear instead) during normal commute-type driving. The Corvette hits its top speed in 5th gear, and the 4 gears in front of it are spaced accordingly. The car will actually go slower if you shift from 5th to 6th at redline.

Don't like six speeds? Try a 3 on the tree sometime...
    Last edited by Rambo; 02-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I'd love to know what Subaru was thinking with their incredibly short 6th gear in the 04-06 STIs...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    We get it. You are not happy with Subaru. Discussion is over. I really don't want to lock this thread...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I prefer 4 cylinder turbos, AWD and compact cars, thus my shopping list of EVO, Golf R, WRX. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Don't forget Audi A3/A4, Buick Regal, and a bunch of other that fall into the small 4cyl turbo AWD bracket.
    Hey, and even Cadillac joins those ranks now with a 2.0T... But most of them are just a bit above the WRX sticker... AND use more fuel to boot.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Hey, and even Cadillac joins those ranks now with a 2.0T... But most of them are just a bit above the WRX sticker... AND use more fuel to boot.
    Yeah, my point was that there are actually quite a few turbocharged AWD options out there nowadays, whereas it was pretty much just Audi, Subaru, and the EVO a few years ago. Wasn't the Suzuki Kizashi also turbocharged and AWD? I heard good things about that car. Too little, too late to save Suzuki's US market though.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Wasn't the Suzuki Kizashi also turbocharged and AWD? I heard good things about that car. Too little, too late to save Suzuki's US market though.
    That was a great model. I don't think they made a turbo version of the Kizashi (just going on memory) and I think their CVT was crap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol, wow, Jaysin got worked up in this thread!
    It's just cars...but I'm on the side of simply selecting the right gear for each task at hand. Been doing it for a long time, with 4-speeds, 5-speeds, and 6-speeds.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    If I can't start my car from a stop in 5th or 6th gear, it's garbage. Get a new car.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, Chevy offers a 7 in their new Corvette, as well. That's a lot of shift gates.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yeah, my point was that there are actually quite a few turbocharged AWD options out there nowadays, whereas it was pretty much just Audi, Subaru, and the EVO a few years ago. Wasn't the Suzuki Kizashi also turbocharged and AWD? I heard good things about that car. Too little, too late to save Suzuki's US market though.
    Not turbo, but it was a 6 speed! I worked at a Suzuki dealer for a short time and I will admit that the interior was pretty decent looking. Though I watched a technician install the XM radio adapter (a dealer accessory) for their headunit and he literally had to take the rear bumper off a brand new car as well as multiple panels for the wiring leading to the front of the car. Don't ask why... cause the instructions told him to do it LOL. That's a Suzuki.

Sorry for the off topic.. but it's nice to know we aren't complaining about the hideous looks of the '15 wrx anymore and have moved on to more trivial downfalls. I'm sure the looks are already growing on you guys.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

Can anyone who's sat in the '15 report on how the seat feels compared to the '9-'14's seats? I'm considering placing an order for a '15 but may hesitate because I can't find one to sit in in my region.

I don't find the current gen's seat to be very comfortable. From the pics, the '15's seats look completely different from the earlier car. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. (I haven't read through all 62 pages but did do a search.)

Can anyone who's sat in the '15 report on how the seat feels compared to the '9-'14's seats? I'm considering placing an order for a '15 but may hesitate because I can't find one to sit in in my region.

I don't find the current gen's seat to be very comfortable. From the pics, the '15's seats look completely different from the earlier car. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. (I haven't read through all 62 pages but did do a search.)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.