The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 61
+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 214 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by JaySin I'm simply comparing times from competitive cars. The WRX is significantly slower. It really is that ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I'm simply comparing times from competitive cars. The WRX is significantly slower. It really is that simple. It disappoints me so get over it and move on. I'm also curious what those same numbers are with the CVT. I know the NON-turbo 2.5i forester is 30-50 4.4 sec. and 50-70 5.8 sec. Granted the tuning is slightly different with the Forester XT / CVT combo than in the WRX...even the std. 4-banger is much faster in those acceleration times. This is why I feel justified in my complaint. I don't care about gear ratios and 'laziness' and V8 engines.
    I still don't see how the acceleration in TOP GEAR (which is a highway overdrive gear) being slower is a "disappointment?"

If this is a problem, don't use 6th gear! It's as easy as that!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't care about gear ratios.
    He man, I get it. You don't like something and that's okay. Everyone has different things they look for in cars. However, the statement that I quoted is something you might want to reconsider.

You absolutely should care about gear ratios. You can't compare cars like you are, without considering the gear ratio. That's apples to oranges in most cases.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Magazine spec fight!!!!

Who cares what magazines say, you can only truly evaluate a car by driving it yourself. Based on some videos reviews out there, the new WRX seems to be plenty brisk.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I still don't see how the acceleration in TOP GEAR (which is a highway overdrive gear) being slower is a "disappointment?"

If this is a problem, don't use 6th gear! It's as easy as that!
    It's a disappointment because all the competitive cars are faster. That's why. Change the gearing, the tune or both. I like a useful power band throughout.

It's a disappointment because all the competitive cars are faster...
    ...in a gear that is intended for fuel economy? I'm really confused.

About 10 years ago, I went to watch the British Touring Cars at Brands Hatch. My friend's Dad drove and there were four of us in the car - his M3 which, was and probably still is, limited to 155mph. At one silly point in the journey, he accelerated hard on the motorway. When he decided he'd taken enough risk - at 150mph - he finally changed up to 6th gear to coast back down to a more, *ahem*, legal speed.

I like a useful power band throughout.
    Why? As Zax said, if you want acceleration, don't use 6th gear. If you think there's a chance you might need to adjust your speed, why would you even be in 6th gear? If the manual WRX had 11 gears, would you still be disappointed that it didn't accelerate quickly in top gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    ...in a gear that is intended for fuel economy? I'm really confused.

About 10 years ago, I went to watch the British Touring Cars at Brands Hatch. My friend's Dad drove and there were four of us in the car - his M3 which, was and probably still is, limited to 155mph. At one silly point in the journey, he accelerated hard on the motorway. When he decided he'd taken enough risk - at 150mph - he finally changed up to 6th gear to coast back down to a more, *ahem*, legal speed.
    Irrelevant.

Why? As Zax said, if you want acceleration, don't use 6th gear. If you think there's a chance you might need to adjust your speed, why would you even be in 6th gear? If the manual WRX had 11 gears, would you still be disappointed that it didn't accelerate quickly in top gear?
    If other car makers can do it, why can't Subaru?

Irrelevant.
    I don't think so. My point was that you don't need 6th gear for anything but reaching the car's absolute top speed... and saving fuel.

Perhaps they don't care because no one buys a manual car based on this statistic. Like I said before, if you want a car that just goes whenever you put your foot down, you should be driving an auto.

zax
    Can do what? Make the top gear a higher gear ratio and increase acceleration in top gear? Subaru did do that: it was called the 5MT

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Facebook me here

zax
    I don't think so. My point was that you don't need 6th gear for anything but reaching the car's absolute top speed... and saving fuel.
    It is unlikely that the car will be able to reach top speed in 6th gear. It is more likely that 5th will be used for top speed runs at least with stock power output.

Facebook me here

Perhaps they don't care because no one buys a manual car based on this statistic. Like I said before, if you want a car that just goes whenever you put your foot down, you should be driving an auto.
    LOL...I drove a '08 WRX 4EAT and now a G37x w/7 speed auto. Which is why I said I was curious what the CVT WRX will do since I'm looking at that or a Golf R as my next car. Like I said 100 times now...it was an observation and a comparison. The WRX is the slowest of the competitors. Perhaps they should care...no matter how trivial it may seem to YOU. Do I care that much? NO! However, it IS slow and I don't think ANY gear in a performance oriented car should be THAT slow in 20MPH increments that occur somewhat frequently. If you stick drivers are happy with that and plan to either not use an entire gear or want to downshift more often than that of a competitor's car...be my guest.

Can do what? Make the top gear a higher gear ratio and increase acceleration in top gear? Subaru did do that: it was called the 5MT

...then they should have stuck with the 5MT while improving the overall feel. If people care THAT much about MPG then they wouldn't be buying WRXs, STis, Golf Rs, EVOs, etc....they'd be buying Civics and Kia Rios.

^ and they do - don't forget Prius!
    And then there are people that don't care quite as much about the fuel economy and some of those are WRX drivers... Simply put, 6th is for cruising, not speeding. There seems to be a lot of misconception about manual transmissions. There is engine displacement, torque at different rpms, gears and ratios, physics (as in torque relating to gear-ratios). If the competitor can accelerate faster in highest gear then those highest gears are shorter and probably don't bring down RPMs as much as the 6MT. Again, the highest gear is not what determines acceleration. And generally, we WRX drivers don't mind shifting... I certainly don't...
    As far as wanting power in ALL areas to the rpm range: get a HEMI. Then enjoy flat torque curve - and flat MPG's...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

...Dang double post... This time it got me...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    ...then they should have stuck with the 5MT while improving the overall feel. If people care THAT much about MPG then they wouldn't be buying WRXs, STis, Golf Rs, EVOs, etc....they'd be buying Civics and Kia Rios.
    I can't tell if you are trolling or just do not physically understand the concept behind gear ratios. Either way, none of the cars you have mentioned I would consider "sports cars" by any measure. "Sport Compact" is a more fitting description. Every car you have mentioned is intended from factory to be DD'd save for perhaps the Evo, which sees abysmal fuel economy... Why? Because the top gear ratio is too short!

So what you are attempting to tell the whole world is that you would rather be butt****ing lazy (and not shift) than see a 4mpg improvement. Fine, be lazy but guess what? The WRX can still accomplish that by not shifting into 6th. Subaru has not managed to drop the ball by comparing some worthless metric, but instead has actually delivered by listening to the community's complaints about fuel economy. Still not convinced? Buy the STi model which is more equipped for the track: more power and a much shorter top gear ratio means very impressive 50-70mph accel time in top gear if that's what gets you hard.

Facebook me here

I can't tell if you are trolling or just do not physically understand the concept behind gear ratios. Either way, none of the cars you have mentioned I would consider "sports cars" by any measure. "Sport Compact" is a more fitting description. Every car you have mentioned is intended from factory to be DD'd save for perhaps the Evo, which sees abysmal fuel economy... Why? Because the top gear ratio is too short!

So what you are attempting to tell the whole world is that you would rather be butt****ing lazy (and not shift) than see a 4mpg improvement. Fine, be lazy but guess what? The WRX can still accomplish that by not shifting into 6th. Subaru has not managed to drop the ball by comparing some worthless metric, but instead has actually delivered by listening to the community's complaints about fuel economy. Still not convinced? Buy the STi model which is more equipped for the track: more power and a much shorter top gear ratio means very impressive 50-70mph accel time in top gear if that's what gets you hard.
    Trolling...?...really? I've been on here longer than YOU. I simply made an observation and commented on it. I'm not getting bent out of shape about it. Hmmm..."butt****ing lazy"? You can do your butt****ing however you want.
    I'm a car enthusiast, but nothing about them makes me hard. Are you a paid sponsor for Subaru? You seem awfully worked up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.