The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 60
Page 60 of 213 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax Apparently you like guzzling fuel during your commute. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk I ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Apparently you like guzzling fuel during your commute.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I use sport shift in the 4EAT. I don't want to shift all the time to accelerate. I expect the turbo to help and also the high end torque. If you're using a snails-pace 6th gear and want to accelerate, you'll need to downshift and use more gas. I'm not the one that wants to guzzle fuel. I just expect better acceleration in top gear. It's really not worth arguing about or getting confused about in The J's case.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow...is everyone smoking early today?
    All I said was the 30-50 and 50-70 times sucked.
    Go ahead and compare the 2015 VW GTI and Focus ST 30-50 and 50-70 times. They're faster than the WRX. Do you get it? It seems slow because it is. I made a comment. Relax.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I use sport shift in the 4EAT. I don't want to shift all the time to accelerate. I expect the turbo to help and also the high end torque. If you're using a snails-pace 6th gear and want to accelerate, you'll need to downshift and use more gas. I'm not the one that wants to guzzle fuel. I just expect better acceleration in top gear. It's really not worth arguing about or getting confused about in The J's case.
    The fuel saved by not having to down shift would be negated by fact that when your are cruising (which would be most of the time in most circumstances) you are in a lower gear. Manual shift cars typically clock better mileage.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Go ahead and compare the 2015 VW GTI and Focus ST 30-50 and 50-70 times. They're faster than the WRX. Do you get it? It seems slow because it is. I made a comment. Relax.
    Ok. No worry. Will you post a link. I have not compared them I don't find them with a quick search.
    thanks
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Never mind found it. That is significantly different!
    -The J

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Never mind found it. That is significantly different!
    To go one step further - the 2008 WRX (the 'wimpy' one that I had) stock does 30-50 in 10.7 sec. and 50-70 in 7.3 sec. So, once again, I say...BAD tune out of the box. This may be a weakness of the 2.0...?...

Edit: link if you want it - http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...imp-wrx-ts.pdf

To go one step further - the 2008 WRX (the 'wimpy' one that I had) stock does 30-50 in 10.7 sec. and 50-70 in 7.3 sec. So, once again, I say...BAD tune out of the box. This may be a weakness of the 2.0...?...
    [/URL]
    What's up with the aggressive stance? If you need to know why the figures look misleading, just ask...

Look at the top gear ratios:

2015 GTI 0.97
    2015 Focus ST 0.94
    2008 WRX 0.73
    2015 WRX 0.66

The WRX has a 4th gear ratio of .972. You therefore need to drop the WRX into 4th gear to compare with the GTI and ST, and into 5th to get close to the 2008 WRX. I bet you'll find the times to be much closer, if not better on the 2015 WRX. The biggest difference is that the WRX will be composed at higher cruising speeds and not screaming along burning gas at a high rate like the others.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 01-31-2014 at 01:18 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    ^That.

My understanding is that the new 6MT for the WRX is essentially the 5MT with a highway cog (oversimplified, yes, but analogical). This is what Subaru enthusiasts have been requesting for several years.

This is Subaru's answer to the poor fuel economy typically delivered by a turbo-4 cylinder on the highway... especially a turbo-4 mated to AWD. Has Subaru disclosed the top gear revs at 60 mph yet? IIRC, the prior generation WRX and STI were close to 2400 RPM. If the new cog is significantly over-driven, I'd be concerned with a potential turbo upgrade as this may move the torque curve too far to the right to use the 6th gear in anything under 80mph...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

^ accelerating from 50 to 70 in 6th is just plain dumb and indicates nothing about performance. With a big displacement V8, fine, otherwise utterly useless. A real overdrive 6th is for cruising only, uphill on the interstate you'd still shift down just to make it....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread

I got the new car and driver magazine today. The article they wrote was pretty good. They were consistently able to get 4.8 0-60 with the 6 speed. They seemed to like it over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ accelerating from 50 to 70 in 6th is just plain dumb and indicates nothing about performance. With a big displacement V8, fine, otherwise utterly useless. A real overdrive 6th is for cruising only, uphill on the interstate you'd still shift down just to make it....
    This. It's a totally pointless stat to be looking at or wasting time comparing to other cars. You might just as well compare stopping distances using the handbrake only. Because I'll do that as often as I'll accelerate hard from 30 - 50mph in 6th gear. The sole purpose of 6th gear is to maintain a cruising speed; not to get you to that cruising speed. That's what the other gears are for. 6th gear lowers the RPMs and, thus, fuel consumption. If you can't be bothered to change down a gear to accelerate, then you should be driving an auto, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    This. It's a totally pointless stat to be looking at or wasting time comparing to other cars. You might just as well compare stopping distances using the handbrake only. Because I'll do that as often as I'll accelerate hard from 30 - 50mph in 6th gear. The sole purpose of 6th gear is to maintain a cruising speed; not to get you to that cruising speed. That's what the other gears are for. 6th gear lowers the RPMs and, thus, fuel consumption. If you can't be bothered to change down a gear to accelerate, then you should be driving an auto, plain and simple.
    it's not always black and white like that. I only have 5 gears in my Altima, but 5th will comfortably covers me from 30 to max when I don't need (or want) brisk acceleration. As was hinted by Ingo, larger engines with more low down torque will be fine at low rev pulls. Sure, not in a 2.0 DIT though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I only have 5 gears in my Altima, but 5th will comfortably covers me from 30 to max when I don't need (or want) brisk acceleration.
    Sure, it's nice to have the ability to do it when you're feeling lazy and can't be bothered to change down. I totally get that. But, as you just said, "...when I don't need (or want) brisk acceleration". And that's the point; you don't do that if you're in a hurry. So why the stat on 30 - 50mph in top gear would be even a consideration to anyone, I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Sure, it's nice to have the ability to do it when you're feeling lazy and can't be bothered to change down. I totally get that. But, as you just said, "...when I don't need (or want) brisk acceleration". And that's the point; you don't do that if you're in a hurry. So why the stat on 30 - 50mph in top gear would be even a consideration to anyone, I don't understand.
    Why is it lazy? I can pull from 20mph in 5th and the car is calm, relaxed and more efficient that way. It's a good way to drive in traffic or with my family. Lazy is when you stop paying attention to driving in a deliberate manner, and that can happen at speed as well.

The figure itself can be useful - although it tells you little about direct performance, it still gives an insight into other driving aspects of the car. Yeah, I don't quite believe myself there either.

I'm simply comparing times from competitive cars. The WRX is significantly slower. It really is that simple. It disappoints me so get over it and move on. I'm also curious what those same numbers are with the CVT. I know the NON-turbo 2.5i forester is 30-50 4.4 sec. and 50-70 5.8 sec. Granted the tuning is slightly different with the Forester XT / CVT combo than in the WRX...even the std. 4-banger is much faster in those acceleration times. This is why I feel justified in my complaint. I don't care about gear ratios and 'laziness' and V8 engines.