The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 50
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 214 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; "This wing actually produces a lot of downforce at speed, and also improves top speed by about 3mph..." I'm sorry, ...

"This wing actually produces a lot of downforce at speed, and also improves top speed by about 3mph..."

I'm sorry, you what? It does both? I smell BS. From my limited F1 knowledge, I know that if you add wing/downforce, you reduce top speed. If you reduce the wing angle/downforce, you increase straight line speed. Not sure how it's possible to do both at the same time.

He also calls the BBS wheels, "large". I'm sorry but, I think 18" wheels stopped qualifying as "large" about 8 years ago. Now they're just average. /end nitpicking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    "This wing actually produces a lot of downforce at speed, and also improves top speed by about 3mph..."

I'm sorry, you what? It does both? I smell BS.
    The wing makes the air flow off the back of the car more efficiently thus reducing drag. That's my understanding. Few people will be going 163 though, so it's kind of a mute point.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The wing makes the air flow off the back of the car more efficiently thus reducing drag. That's my understanding.
    Sounds plausible. Can it reduce drag and add downforce at the same time? That's a little beyond my aerodynamic understanding.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Sounds plausible. Can it reduce drag and add downforce at the same time? That's a little beyond my aerodynamic understanding.
    If the air were to be pushed up and off the back rather than traveling down the back of the car and "grabbing" the car then I suppose it could do both. I am by no means an engineer here though

watch this video at around 1:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9O9Q...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Same here. Again I really think they left a lot of room for improvement and these first couple models are kind of a sales test to see where they should go with them
    IMO the flagship STI was nervous to be launched w/out the EJ engine. They allowed it on the WRX for marketing, boosting sales and new consumers to the Subaru market, whilst keeping the STI bland and boring like the WRX and only upgrading a few things most notably the wing, wheels and badges. Obviously its different when you get into details but it is difficult to justify and almost $40k car and it just "mehh" IMO. I was really praying for a more aggressive looking STI to really stand out but what stands out I already mentioned above. The ripped off looking EVO X from 2007. I wonder now what Mitsubishi is laughing at? There next EVO will be Hybrid and talks around the globe it will compete with the Nissan GT-R. Subaru better get to work it seems there record sales paid for there Bora-Bora trip and the design team went with them and left the blue prints in the trash.

Ill wait for the facelift...and "tacked" on wide body. To bad it doesnt have the t!ts of the 2015 STI NBR Challenge.

A prayer for 2017 in progress

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    First - it's still killing me that there is no hatch, and I can't buy this fairly generic look as a sedan.

Second - I think this was a mistake, and forsee real sales problems. Putting aside the loss of a popular body style, this car runs about $40K, but what is it offering that will make a non-Subie faithful choose it over other options. No HP increase, a fairly average look, an old drivetrain that has yet to escape the "ringland" fears - what is the thing that is going to make someone lust enough to spend the money on this? I'm very disappointed.

Glad I got an '11 hatch when I did, and I'm hoping the rumors that in '18 a hatch may come (hopefully with significant other improvements) are right, otherwise I can not see myself in this car.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Its funny because they got rid of the hatch to pay for the new motor; yet there is no new motor. WRX ate up the whole budget lol!

Imho, this is just an awkward transition phase where they were more concerned about the WRX and didn't put real devoted focus on the STI... I think within the next few years there will be some dramatic changes.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ByrdBones View Post
    I think within the next few years there will be some dramatic changes.
    Yes. Dropping the STi model altogether.

I've said this before, I'll say this again:
    The STi model does not make much sense from a business prospective. WRX sales dwarf STi sales and with the gap between the model closed, those who would buy an STi may already buy a WRX if the STi model is removed. Given this, it didn't make much sense for Subaru to devote significant R&D resources into the STi model without the ROI demonstrable. From a marketing perspective, Subaru has chosen to keep the model as a "halo" product. This may change over the next few years most notably due to the following:
    1. FA20 has proven to be a more stout motor compared to the EJ motors of the past
    2. DCCD is a kitschy little device, but (as much as it pains me to say this) Brake Torque Vectoring has been shown to be just as effective at a fraction of the cost and weight (think: Focus ST). I was hesitant at the removal of the rear LSD on the 2008+ at first, but my pain has slowly washed away. The new WRX will be more lethal at the track than previous versions of the STi.
    3. WRC has moved to 1.6L motors. The Subaru WRC will be a significant departure from either the WRX or WRX STi cutting ties to the legacy of the STi model. Likely the WRC car will get the FB16 and a significantly retuned chassis.

So, with all this information laid out, I predict we will see STi model sales suffering over the next few years with an inversion from the STi model to the WRX model as the halo car. Not that the EJ257 is a bad motor per se, just that the FA20 offers the latest and greatest and is ushering a new era for Subaru performance. I further predict that the differences in chassis/performance will be offered in future packages as the models are merged i.e. brembo brake package etc.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yes. Dropping the STi model altogether.

I've said this before, I'll say this again:
    The STi model does not make much sense from a business prospective. WRX sales dwarf STi sales and with the gap between the model closed, those who would buy an STi may already buy a WRX if the STi model is removed. Given this, it didn't make much sense for Subaru to devote significant R&D resources into the STi model without the ROI demonstrable. From a marketing perspective, Subaru has chosen to keep the model as a "halo" product. This may change over the next few years most notably due to the following:
    1. FA20 has proven to be a more stout motor compared to the EJ motors of the past
    2. DCCD is a kitschy little device, but (as much as it pains me to say this) Brake Torque Vectoring has been shown to be just as effective at a fraction of the cost and weight (think: Focus ST). I was hesitant at the removal of the rear LSD on the 2008+ at first, but my pain has slowly washed away. The new WRX will be more lethal at the track than previous versions of the STi.
    3. WRC has moved to 1.6L motors. The Subaru WRC will be a significant departure from either the WRX or WRX STi cutting ties to the legacy of the STi model. Likely the WRC car will get the FB16 and a significantly retuned chassis.

So, with all this information laid out, I predict we will see STi model sales suffering over the next few years with an inversion from the STi model to the WRX model as the halo car. Not that the EJ257 is a bad motor per se, just that the FA20 offers the latest and greatest and is ushering a new era for Subaru performance. I further predict that the differences in chassis/performance will be offered in future packages as the models are merged i.e. brembo brake package etc.
    Zax has spoken.

And it makes sense to me.

Time will tell!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Ehh yeah i see what your saying but from an aerodynamic stand point, all cars are going to look similar, especially if they are the same color. Rotate those photos any in either direction and you will see how different they are.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    two silver cars! at least we have moved away from blue cars! anyone wanna try for red?
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

I Support ClubWRX
    This just in:

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    This just in:

A) Altima
    B ) Camry
    C) Fusion
    D) Genesis
    E) Accord
    F) Chevy somethingrather
    G) ?
    H) ? Lexus?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.