The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 40
Page 40 of 206 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm in that boat. I agreed to it mainly because we do share our income so, anything I buy is ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm in that boat. I agreed to it mainly because we do share our income so, anything I buy is hers as well and vise versa.

It's not like I couldn't buy a manual if I really fought for it. Just easier to say "Yes dear" sometimes lol

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I'm in that boat. I agreed to it mainly because we do share our income so, anything I buy is hers as well and vise versa.

It's not like I couldn't buy a manual if I really fought for it. Just easier to say "Yes dear" sometimes lol
    Now I feel lucky having a wife who was fully competent in my 5sp WRX when I had it. The only thing which made me suspicious was that she never seemed to be in boost. I never worked out how that was possible, lol.

I'm waiting for the Downfall video on CVT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutomaticvsManualTransmission-68178.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	128433

I am happily married with a wife who can not drive stick and we share our income. I own a 2013 WRX and I am tired of hearing this excuse. If you buy a WRX with an automatic transmission you are not a true enthusiast. There are better options for you that Subaru offers.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Britayik View Post

I am happily married with a wife who can not drive stick and we share our income. I own a 2013 WRX and I am tired of hearing this excuse. If you buy a WRX with an automatic transmission you are not a true enthusiast. There are better options for you that Subaru offers.
    Great glad that situation works out for you. Not everyone is in the same position as you though.

Your wife might not care if she has the option to drive your car in the case of an emergency but, mine does. I'm sure there are other people out there who's feel that way too.

As to your completely off base comment about transmission option determining if someone is a "true" enthusiast or not. You just sound like an elitist snob. You and, no one else can tell me how enthusiastic I am (or anyone else really) about this community based on my transmission choice. Who made you the authority on what a "true" enthusiast is? I'm getting sick of this kind of attitude.

You don't want the CVT, great! Don't buy it, pretty simple concept.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I am happily married and would like to stay that way. I have to drive a truck day to day as I am a construction worker, and my wife has to drive a car day to day (non-manual, period). I suppose I can't be an enthusiast because my gears are planetary, despite them accomplishing the exact same thing. Yeah... that makes a whole lot of sense chief...

If you buy a WRX with an automatic transmission you are not a true enthusiast.
    That's BS. "Car Enthusiasts" are a large group of people with a strong interest in cars. A subset of those are interested in tuning and changes things. An smaller subset want more of a "drivers" feel to the car, where they are in more control and can feel a connection with both the car and the road. An even smaller subset take that to a level where they are measuring themselves on a track or in a competitive environment.

I am with you in that I like to feel in control. I have been wanting a G37xS for the last 15 months but the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on one is that I think I would get bored with an automatic. This is why I am now waiting to try the 2015 WRX - if I lose the comfort in return for a bigger smile on my face then it's worth it. But if you have driven the G compared to the outgoing WRX, you will find that it still has more of a driver's feel to the handling and power curve... as an automatic.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cvt?! That's it, I'm getting an evo

At one point I would have been in the "true enthusiasts drive stick" camp, but nowadays from the view at my sales desk, meeting all kinds of customers, life just isn't that simple. What about the Iraqi war vet with a left leg injury? One car families where the wife needs an auto? Old farts like Ray and tony? . Are Buick GNX owners not car enthusiasts? Personally automatic in a performance car is just not for me, but if it lets more people enjoy the wrx then I think it's a good thing. Sure it's a little less "pure" but it beats losing them to a lesser brand/car. Oh and as for the cvt being "new" technology, did you guys know that Subaru used them in the 80's justy? I have no doubt they will be able to make these things hold up to 300hp, it's just a matter of a stronger belt. In fact I've yet to see a failure on any cvt made by Subaru, and have met some of the top engineers at subaru who claim they will go in excess of 500,000 miles and I believe them. I wouldn't worry too much about them watering down the gene pool either. Subaru has made automatic wrx's in the past, and they were always a small percentage of the cars on the road. I'd bet 75%+ will be stick.
    Last edited by rexxx0486; 12-29-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post

At one point I would have been in the "true enthusiasts drive stick" camp, but nowadays from the view at my sales desk, meeting all kinds of customers, life just isn't that simple. What about the Iraqi war vet with a left leg injury? One car families where the wife needs an auto? Old farts like Ray and tony? . Are Buick GNX owners not car enthusiasts? Personally automatic in a performance car is just not for me, but if it lets more people enjoy the wrx then I think it's a good thing. Sure it's a little less "pure" but it beats losing them to a lesser brand/car. Oh and as for the cvt being "new" technology, did you guys know that Subaru used them in the 80's justy? I have no doubt they will be able to make these things hold up to 300hp, it's just a matter of a stronger belt. In fact I've yet to see a failure on any cvt made by Subaru, and have met some of the top engineers at subaru who claim they will go in excess of 500,000 miles and I believe them. I wouldn't worry too much about them watering down the gene pool either. Subaru has made automatic wrx's in the past, and they were always a small percentage of the cars on the road. I'd bet 75%+ will be stick.
    Boom!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, I miss a few days, and this thread goes in all directions. I guess I won't warn someone for being racist towards his own wife, lol.

I like to consider myself to be progressive in that respect..but I'll inject this random observation from my own life. When I was in Shanghai last year, we were driven around by a nice Chinese lady who was the WORST. DRIVER. I'VE. EVER. MET. The stereotype and the reality made us laugh, though it was no doubt just bad luck with getting her to drive us. Others there seemed to drive just fine.

The wife thing is tricky. Every husband and wife's situation is different, so there's really no ironclad "rule" to apply, IMO. You have to consider the household, and go from there. You can play it like individuals with their own tastes, until she spews out that first kid..and then things get weird from time to time, and you have to abandon a lot of your selfishness about wanting everything your way. I've been fortunate, but with my wife back at work, I've actually had to consider the concept of trading the bugeye, at some point, for something with an auto, so that we can switch cars on occasion. Of course, that may be more because the bugeye is a pain to drive in a couple of ways, for a non-enthusiast driver. (Stage 1 clutch, bugeye transmission, harsh suspension for normal people, etc.)

I'd still have manuals in the BRZ and buggy, so no big deal. I don't want to lose my GD, though. That would be a blow. Hopefully it won't come to that.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I'm strongly considering buying the '15 WRX. I'll miss the hatch, but the reviews I've seen are solid, performance looks to be improved, and the new interior is nice nice nice. One thing I'm hoping for is that the premium option with the display has "iOS in the car" functionality.

Anyone have any idea if this will be the case?

IMO, iOS and android compatibility in cars is going to explode in the next couple years. With high quality voice control letting you dictate iMessages, make phone calls, handle navigation etc. In addition there will likely be a ton of cool car specific apps for performance or entertainment.

I Support ClubWRX
    Apple has made a big push for this, but I haven't seen Subaru on the lists so far, as a manufacturer that's integrating it. Of course, that could change quickly.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Go home Clayton. There's no room for logic and a good opinion here

All reality, that is very well said...and coming from someone who hates the CVT, certainly makes me respect it more.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Go home Clayton. There's no room for logic and a good opinion here

All reality, that is very well said...and coming from someone who hates the CVT, certainly makes me respect it more.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I'll be trading my 2012 Prius Plug-in for standard transmission. Can't wait!