The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 39
Page 39 of 206 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by TheJ Nobody's complaining about the twin scroll some are complaining about losing the boxer rumble... Using elh ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Nobody's complaining about the twin scroll some are complaining about losing the boxer rumble... Using elh now. I would assume to cost effectively make most use of the twin scroll set up.
    Supposedly UELH are what cause fourth cylinder issues at higher boost levels. Supposedly.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You're right about people getting caught up in peak numbers, etc. My FA-equipped, 2.0 liter BRZ, with its paltry 200hp, actually has about the same 2nd gear pull from 2000-3000 rpms as my dyno-tuned, 2.5 liter 18G WRX. It's really cool what they're doing with direct injection and fresh engine designs.

Of course, past 3000rpms, the WRX would leave my white car for dead. At least, until we reach a corner.
    I have yet to say, Rayfields, I have yet to disagree with anything you've said.

I wonder though, does anyone know what model twin scroll turbo the new model is using? Is it an IHI? I've tried searching but haven't found anything.
    My concerns are with a smaller displacement engine, a higher stock turbo boost, and higher compression ratio, that the motor in stock form is a bit more tapped out than previous gens. As in "Smaller engine already comes with higher boost and a more stressed engine so that's less gains if you want to mod your ****"

Anyway just a thought. If there are gaps in my knowledge I would love to listen.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Supposedly UELH are what cause fourth cylinder issues at higher boost levels. Supposedly.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.
    I had heard that too. My guess would be that you are right and also the decision to move away from the uelh was probably not based a single factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenpho View Post

I wonder though, does anyone know what model twin scroll turbo the new model is using? Is it an IHI? I've tried searching but haven't found anything.
    My concerns are with a smaller displacement engine, a higher stock turbo boost, and higher compression ratio, that the motor in stock form is a bit more tapped out than previous gens. As in "Smaller engine already comes with higher boost and a more stressed engine so that's less gains if you want to mod your ****"

Anyway just a thought. If there are gaps in my knowledge I would love to listen.
    Well...While I certainly don't have tremendous knowledge of the limitations of the new engine.... We do know there are not only other production 2.0 liter engines making far more power but tons of aftermarket tuned 2.0 liters making crazy power. So, my point is merely that unless you're looking to make a 1/4 mile monster (Subarus are not the best choice for that anyway), I would be confident that there will be opportunities to make nice increases in performance with aftermarket solutions..
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenpho View Post

They are using a Garret Honeywell turbo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    OOHHHH! A Garrett....

I've been wondering: What is a twin scroll turbo, whats different from a "regular" turbo, and why would Subaru put one in over a "regular" turbo?

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    OOHHHH! A Garrett....

I've been wondering: What is a twin scroll turbo, whats different from a "regular" turbo, and why would Subaru put one in over a "regular" turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    OOHHHH! A Garrett....

Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exhaust manifold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's pretty cool.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
    We've got 2 members already lined up for CVT's. Perhaps others will realize that Subaru had some idea what they are doing. I wouldn't be against it either, it's hard to see why the angst..
    Not to kick a dead horse on the CVT vs Manual subject you all know and love but... Count me in for a 2015 CVT WRX (if it feels right on test drive). I would love to have a manual 6-speed, def. my first choice. But as my day to day drive is a truck for work, and my wife drives our sedan which is an automatic... Not going to be able to pitch a manual day to day driver for her just for my preference when I get to drive weekends, etc. I've taught her stick, and she can drive it, (kinda) but she just doesn't like it.

Also she's asian. That's not me being racist as much as it is letting you judge whether or not that should carry any merit. All in all, I really just want to upgrade to a sportier sedan. I wanted an AWD car for crappy New England weather and for joy rides. I had been looking at the Impreza for a while, but wanted a little more leg room + trying to figure out the manual thing.

The CVT just makes the most sense in our particular situation. So yes, Subaru is doing something right with offering the option.

I applaud Subaru for being one of the first to put a CVT in a performance car, but I don't see good things happening to that drivetrain with any more power than stock. CVT's are a new thing and aren't really meant for performance cars so we will see what happens! I'm just surprised they didn't go the route Mitsubishi went with the Ralliart and do a Twin Clutch Auto.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by ByrdBones View Post
    Also she's asian. That's not me being racist as much as it is letting you judge whether or not that should carry any merit.
    Sounds like racial stereo-typing to me, and definitely without merit based on my observations.

That aside, welcome to the forum! It sounds like the CVT will be a great option for you guys if it drives as well as the reviews have suggested

Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    I applaud Subaru for being one of the first to put a CVT in a performance car, but I don't see good things happening to that drivetrain with any more power than stock. CVT's are a new thing and aren't really meant for performance cars so we will see what happens! I'm just surprised they didn't go the route Mitsubishi went with the Ralliart and do a Twin Clutch Auto.
    I tried a Ralliart a few years back and thought it was awful. The reviews of the WRX CVT seem so much better. It also uses a metal belt which can allegedly handle a lot more power than in the WRX - it could be the same CVT powering the 300hp Legacy and the forthcoming Levorg.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 12-25-2013 at 07:40 PM.

I never buy the whole "well my wife can't/won't/doesn't like to" argument about a manual transmission. It's your car, get what YOU want.

I understand if it's only a single car household...but I'm sorry, I'm not going to sacrifice my enjoyable driving experience for the off chance my wife *might* not want to drive manual. My GF doesn't know too well how to drive manual, but that's her problem. I told her I'd teach her, and she wants to learn....but that doesn't dictate what car I want to get.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I never buy the whole "well my wife can't/won't/doesn't like to" argument about a manual transmission. It's your car, get what YOU want.

I understand if it's only a single car household...but I'm sorry, I'm not going to sacrifice my enjoyable driving experience for the off chance my wife *might* not want to drive manual. My GF doesn't know too well how to drive manual, but that's her problem. I told her I'd teach her, and she wants to learn....but that doesn't dictate what car I want to get.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

I guess this is why you have a GF and not a WIFE..

Sorry bud, but some people want what works best for their family... and this guy would prefer a CVT WRX over whatever he has now.

I Support ClubWRX
    My GF doesn't know too well how to drive manual, but that's her problem.
    As long as the GF knows how to drive the stick that is all that matters