The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 31
Page 31 of 211 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Upgrayedd What popular belief? The one where everyone is infatuated with a manual! I would rather have ...

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
    What popular belief?
    The one where everyone is infatuated with a manual!

I would rather have a manual over an auto any day. Personal preference, then again, I dont have many "stop and go" issues around me, and if there are, i have back roads i can take to save my clutch... if I really save it that much. as Ray said, get it going, leave room for a coast slow down, and in time you'll learn it so you only use the clutch when absolutely necessary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    What popular belief?
    The one where everyone is infatuated with a manual!

I would rather have a manual over an auto any day. Personal preference, then again, I dont have many "stop and go" issues around me, and if there are, i have back roads i can take to save my clutch... if I really save it that much. as Ray said, get it going, leave room for a coast slow down, and in time you'll learn it so you only use the clutch when absolutely necessary.

What popular belief?
    So you have nothing else to say other then what popular belief? lol the fact that most people get scoffed at if they ask for the wrx/si/evo/sti or any other "sports" car if it comes in automatic "Nope only manual" Not everyone likes manual cars and cvt just seems like a hassle from the reports I have read.
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    So you have nothing else to say other then what popular belief? lol the fact that most people get scoffed at if they ask for the wrx/si/evo/sti or any other "sports" car if it comes in automatic "Nope only manual" Not everyone likes manual cars and cvt just seems like a hassle from the reports I have read.
    You've read reports about old ass Nissan CVT's. The CVT in the new WRX is "reported" to be perfectly fine and nothing like those.

EDIT: Also, a verison this CVT has already seen action in the 2014 Forester XT and it even got high praises there.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You've read reports about old ass Nissan CVT's. The CVT in the new WRX is "reported" to be perfectly fine and nothing like those.

EDIT: Also, a verison this CVT has already seen action in the 2014 Forester XT and it even got high praises there.
    Well hopefully Subaru has no issues with CVT in the wrx, I'll definitely wait for a '16 model to make sure there aren't any issues.

the wrx and the forester xt are 2 different animals though, it might work good for the xt but people are alot harder on the wrx
    Last edited by Justanothername; 12-17-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post

My ex has a 2014 FXT, and the CVT is nice! And apparently this one is nicer. I wouldn't trade it for a manual, but it shifts smooth and quick. It was kind of nice not having to worry about shifting around town. I didn't use manual mode much, but the shifts were smooth when I did. My only complaint was sometimes it acted like a "CVT", where you can feel it "slipping," especially in intelligent mode. But for the most part felt almost like a regular automatic with gears when using sport or sport #.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    the wrx and the forester xt are 2 different animals though, it might work good for the xt but people are alot harder on the wrx
    You've apparently never met my xT-owning friends.

You do realize a CVT is vastly less complicated than a traditional automatic or manual, right? The sum total of basic moving parts is 5: Two expandable pulleys (4 parts) + a belt (1 part). There are springs and ramps to set the shift rates, and these automotive CVTs have some system (either hydraulic or electric I'm guessing) to force the pulleys into pre-set shift points, but mechanically, there isn't much to go wrong. There's a reason CVTs are so popular in the ATV/snowmobile community.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

You do realize a CVT is vastly less complicated than a traditional automatic or manual, right? The sum total of basic moving parts is 5: Two expandable pulleys (4 parts) + a belt (1 part). There are springs and ramps to set the shift rates, and these automotive CVTs have some system (either hydraulic or electric I'm guessing) to force the pulleys into pre-set shift points, but mechanically, there isn't much to go wrong. There's a reason CVTs are so popular in the ATV/snowmobile community.
    So...throw a belt and you're SOL. They may be less complicated but they are expensive to repair. Only time will tell if Subaru made the right choice in regards to adding a CVT to the wrx. I wonder if they will have that for the STi.

So...throw a belt and you're SOL. They may be less complicated but they are expensive to repair. Only time will tell if Subaru made the right choice in regards to adding a CVT to the wrx. I wonder if they will have that for the STi.
    FXT has a CVT with a chain, not a belt. Plus its covered by the 60k powertrain warranty. Just sayin'
    Last edited by jamie007; 12-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Agreed... honestly my friends with XT's are probably harder on their car than anyone I know with a WRX/STI. One ride with my one buddy usually involves at least a half-dozen brake boosts off stopilghts just on a downtown trip.

From the reports I've read the CVT is quite sporty and responsive. Have you read any of the reviews of the 2015 WRX? The CVT reviews are nearly glowing with praise.

I do prefer a manual, but manual drivers represent like 5% of the total US car population, so I guess you're talking about "popular belief" among sports car enthusiasts. Ok. But I give exactly zero sh*ts about what someone else does with their own money.

I Support ClubWRX
    .the wrx and the forester xt are 2 different animals though, it might work good for the xt but people are alot harder on the wrx

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Well hopefully Subaru has no issues with CVT in the wrx, I'll definitely wait for a '16 model to make sure there aren't any issues.

If you're hard on any transmission there will be problems.

Truth. The lower cost and simplicity of the cvt are why they went with it instead of a dsg setup.

All transmissions are expensive to repair. All transmissions, if something goes catastrophically wrong...you are SOL. I could also walk down the street and get hit by a bus, so I'd best stay at home all the time.

That's getting a bit silly, but you are just constantly saying "it's worse" and "it's more expensive" without any proof behind it, just references to vague "reports." It just comes across like needless worryworting to me. The damned car isn't even on the market yet!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Bewbs
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Truth. The lower cost and simplicity of the cvt are why they went with it instead of a dsg setup.

I don't even think Subaru makes a dsg, do they??