The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 202 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by techguy911 I'm talking about the 2.5 to 2.0 displacement difference having an effect on the low end ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post
    I'm talking about the 2.5 to 2.0 displacement difference having an effect on the low end power, power from a stop.

And yes, a normal "manual transmission" start from a stop feels similar between a WRX and Impreza, unless you're doing a revved up clutch drop. It's not like the WRX is a 3.6L V6 which has lots of power idle. Do you understand the concept of how the power curve of a turbo engine works?
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm talking about the 2.5 to 2.0 displacement difference having an effect on the low end power, power from a stop.

And yes, a normal "manual transmission" start from a stop feels similar between a WRX and Impreza, unless you're doing a revved up clutch drop. It's not like the WRX is a 3.6L V6 which has lots of power idle. Do you understand the concept of how the power curve of a turbo engine works?
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

No, I have no clue what so ever how a car works. What's an engine anyway?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    YOU SONOVABITCH!!!
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    YOU SONOVABITCH!!!
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by techguy911
    If they go with a 2.0 instead of 2.5 does that mean it's going to be slower off the line? I can't stand how much less power the 2013 Impreza has than the 2012. I test drove a 2011 Impreza with a 2.5 and it gets going very easily with little clutch manipulation. I ended up getting the 2013 2.0 Impreza because I like the look, but it's quite slow to start off and you really gotta be slow with the clutch or let the engine rev. I'm planning to get a WRX when the new re-design comes out.

I also test drove a 2011 WRX and it had about the same power as the 2011 Impreza from a stop (without revving of course).

I just worry that a 2.0 WRX will have crap power from a stop which I can't stand. (But of course plenty of power at higher rpms).

In reference to the bolded section: you're new here, but my advice is to leave your attitude at the door. Your attempt to be wise/funny/belittling, can actually be turned around on you.

In response to your question/concern, engine displacement is only part of the picture...

HINT: Why is a 2.1L EJ205 stroker build much more responsive than a EJ205 2.0L build when it's only marginally more engine displacement?
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not like the WRX is a 3.6L V6 which has lots of power idle.
    I can't wait to trade in my WRX for an Accord V6 and smoke a WRX off the line.

I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

You're right, I had a harsh reply to the apparent dismissal of my question.

But I think it's a valid concern that a lower displacement could cause less low end power. Yes I know there are lots of other factors, but I was trying to specifically discuss potential negatives to the move from 2.5 to 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    In reference to the bolded section: you're new here, but my advice is to leave your attitude at the door.

In response to your question/concern, engine displacement is only part of the picture...

HINT: Why is a 2.1L EJ205 stroker build much more responsive than a EJ205 2.0L build when it's only marginally more engine displacement?

I Support ClubWRX
    But I think it's a valid concern that a lower displacement could cause less low end power. Yes I know there are lots of other factors, but I was trying to specifically discuss potential negatives to the move from 2.5 to 2.0.
    Again, displacement is only part of the equation...

You're neglecting crucial things like rod/stroke ratio, compression ratio, etc. which all will have an effect on the powerband. You're blowing your load before she takes it out of your pants.

UNYSOC

Yes I specifically acknowledged that there are other factors, I know that.

But you can't assume Subaru will tweak everything else to make up for a lower displacement. There is a real possibility of a loss of low end power, don't you think?

Again, displacement is only part of the equation...

You're neglecting crucial things like rod/stroke ratio, compression ratio, etc. which all will have an effect on the powerband. You're blowing your load before she takes it out of your pants.

I Support ClubWRX
    But you can't assume Subaru will tweak everything else to make up for a lower displacement. There is a real possibility of a loss of low end power, don't you think?
    And you can't assume that they won't...

Absolutely, it's possible that Subaru will design the car to be a more rev-happy motor, in which power delivery is shifted right in the RPM range, but they could also try to keep it closer to where it is now, with less displacement.

Without knowing specifics, there is no way to tell. I don't really follow the "latest news" that comes out, so I may not be aware of specs, but until they are released, speculation is futile.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-20-2013 at 03:47 PM.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    If they use the 2.0 hopefully it will be similar to the 2014+ FXT's, which are supposed to be pretty awesome.

Lol
    Yeah my girlfriend has a 2014 FXT, pretty sweet engine. I like how it has max torque at 2k rpms. Way different power deliverly though, no surge of thrust like my WRX, much more linear. But I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the CVT.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

This whole thread is all about speculating, since there's no real news.

But I guess there's nothing more to think about with the 2.0 rumor.

I just hope the concept doesn't in fact show the direction Subaru is going in. I don't want a lower to the ground, less rugged, less offroad, wider, bulkier WRX. If they want to make a car like that, fine, but don't call it a WRX. They already have the BRZ for their non rugged/offroad sports car.

And you can't assume that they won't...

Absolutely, it's possible that Subaru will design the car to be a more rev-happy motor, in which power delivery is shifted right in the RPM range, but they could also try to keep it closer to where it is now, with less displacement.

Without knowing specifics, there is no way to tell. I don't really follow the "latest news" that comes out, so I may not be aware of specs, but until they are released, speculation is futile.

This whole thread is all about speculating, since there's no real news.

But I guess there's nothing more to think about with the 2.0 rumor.

I just hope the concept doesn't in fact show the direction Subaru is going in. I don't want a lower to the ground, less rugged, less offroad, wider, bulkier WRX. If they want to make a car like that, fine, but don't call it a WRX. They already have the BRZ for their non rugged/offroad sports car.
    Agreed.. Which is why I am not waiting for the new model. I'm sure if Subaru keeps going how they have been. It will just get bigger and less of a wrx. So I am hoping on a new one before it gets any less of a WRX. Not saying that I wouldn't mind a little extra in the interior though. I would most definitely choose a MS3 or ST if I was looking at just interior, but I have always been in love with Subaru and don't think I will be able to go with anything else.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Uh oh... A Prototype of New 2015 Subaru WRX Might Have Appeared on Japanese TV

http://www.houseofjapan.com/auto-mot...on-japanese-tv

Last edited by itiswhatitisnt; 10-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.