The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 21
Page 21 of 209 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Yargk I think the new WRX looks good. It's not perfect, but it's better than all the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargk View Post
    I think the new WRX looks good. It's not perfect, but it's better than all the designs from 2002 to 2013. From 2002 to 2013, the WRX has gone through so many different looks that made it seem like the designers were on a different drug every couple years. Now it seems they finally have gotten back on track. Why? Because it kinda looks like this:

You are out of your mind. Not even close. Old > new. By a long shot.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Not saying it's better than the old design from 2000. I'm saying:

1. It's definitely inspired by the pre-2002 design (Look at the angles of the lights and openings in the front of the car. )

2. I like the looks better than the 2002-2013 designs, that's just my opinion.

Besides, if it has the right mechanicals, why do we care how it looks?! I thought WRX owners were big tech/engineering nerds (my favorite people ).
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Every WRX has looked bland in some way. The 2015 represents some of the most significant changes by Subaru and for those of us living in 2013 it's their best and most modern design. I think we need to wait for the first test drive reviews before we can really rate the car though - with DI and a more responsive setup on paper, this might turn out to be the most awesome WRX ever. Now if it drives like a Corolla, then I'd be pissed...

I Support ClubWRX
    ^This!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargk View Post
    Not saying it's better than the old design from 2000. I'm saying:

1. It's definitely inspired by the pre-2002 design (Look at the angles of the lights and openings in the front of the car. )

2. I like the looks better than the 2002-2013 designs, that's just my opinion.

Besides, if it has the right mechanicals, why do we care how it looks?! I thought WRX owners were big tech/engineering nerds (my favorite people ).
    Well what I meant to address was when you said "it kinda looks like this" which, IMO, is not true. Roof line, stance, body shape, angles, and almost everything else looks nothing like the old one. Which is what I meant by Old > new. Should have specified. The only thing that looks remotely similar is the fog light housing division. The old one isn't boring at all. The lines are sexy, the giant fog lights are very cool, and the side skirts look sporty. The new one looks like someone slapped a "sport" badge on any other sedan out there. Blech.

I will reserve judgement on driving feel when I do drive this car, but from a strictly outward appearance, this doesn't do it for me. This one is bland. Old one is not. Bugeyes aren't bland either. If something has the right mechanicals, that's all well and good, but if I walk away and look back at my car and cringe, I would think I'd have made a grave mistake. I don't buy a car for what someone else thinks so I wouldn't really care about the opinion of others (speaking about my friends and family since most everyone I know hates the way my '14 hatch looks), but I couldn't live with myself seeing this car every day. I think it looks nothing like the concept, hasn't hit the mark, is poorly designed on the outside, and I am SOOOOO glad I did not wait and pounced on a GR. This is BY FAR the worst looking WRX ever made.

They're going to sell the **** out of it, though. FWIW, I'm super jealous of the interior.
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

The old one isn't boring at all. The lines are sexy, the giant fog lights are very cool, and the side skirts look sporty. The new one looks like someone slapped a "sport" badge on any other sedan out there. Blech.
    The old one you talk about looks like a 2001 Corolla with alloys, a hood scoop, spoiler, deleted rear window pillar and some extra skirting. Not a fender flare in sight. And you find this to be sexy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	320px-2001-2002_Toyota_Corolla.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	123810

It's a fine and more than capable car, but it looks more like my aunt than the 19 year old babe-next-door. That's just my opinion, maybe you'll like my aunt more.

Yeah, this doesn't look like the concept. Sure it has retained a lot of the broad strokes but it is lacking some very important details. The biggest one being that this new version retained none of the wide body look that was present in the concept, that's a pretty major difference.

Honestly if they reveal the STi in Detroit next year and it has that wide body with a spoiler on the back, I'm in. Otherwise I'll stick with the current generation.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    The old one you talk about looks like a 2001 Corolla with alloys, a hood scoop, spoiler, deleted rear window pillar and some extra skirting. Not a fender flare in sight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	320px-2001-2002_Toyota_Corolla.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	123810

It's a fine and more than capable car, but it looks more like my aunt than the 19 year old babe-next-door. That's just my opinion, maybe you'll like my aunt more.
    Haha solid point, but I still think the older one is better. I do see the similarities. There's a case that the new one looks like the new Carolla as well. You also have to remember what you're comparing in that picture, though. In the 90s, for commuter cars, nothing really looked all that different. Between ANY company. The hood scoop, the tail, the giant fog lights, all those differentiated the Impreza from the Corolla. Also, the 2001 Corolla is more round in the trunk, front end, no back window rubber split, and less aggressive bumper. The 90s Impreza was vastly better looking that any small sedan of the era. I think it's all a matter of perspective. I choose to see the differences in the old model and how they stand out and make the car look better than say, the Corolla in your example. I think it looks more like the nerdy girl who, behind the glasses and overalls, looks like a total hottie (Rachel Leigh Cook anyone?).

The new model does not do that. I cannot see differences that make it stand out from other sedans in a positive way. There are way better looking, comparatively priced sedans out there now. They were lazy and missed the mark. They had a chance to make something truly amazing looking and they didn't. Subaru has a history of underwhelming, sure, but I was hoping for once, they didn't. Well, they did.

Edit: a fender flare doesn't make a car sexy. Wide body isn't and shouldn't be necessary to make an impressionable and well thought out design.
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

They were lazy and missed the mark.
    I get what you are saying, but for the first time I don't think Subaru have been lazy. In the past they have refreshed the designs but not really updated that much in any single step. This time round they appear to have completely redesigned the majority of the car. For people like you, me and plenty of other forum members, we all agree that Subaru could have been a little more bold. From Subaru's perspective they they have not only put out a more modern and fun design, but also great platform to grow with once they get feedback from the market. You might want the 2017 version, but in relative terms the 2015 appears to be a huge step forward for Subaru.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't imagine the curvature of the rear roofline helps interior headroom at all. The rear diffuser is busy.

Does it come with Mitsubishi badges or just Subaru?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Now that the 15' WRX has revealed. I want to believe this will look like the new STI minus the hybrid badge.

The Hybrid version will be introduce in some years later. Once Subaru confirms the new Lancer EVO goes Hybrid to keep up with its arch rival. Come to think of it...Mitsubishi already has confirmed it.

*Note: The WRX pictured is lowered, Rear wing, Enkei wheels? It looks much more aggressive here. However it is the same body design. That quarter glass is killing me tho.

Once again Subaru has already said the STI would feature wider rear fenders and trunk spoiler as well as brembos. And I wouldn't worry about the Evo back in 2011 they said the X would be the end of the Evolution and I can already imagine the hate they would get keeping it going as a hybrid. I didn't even know it was still in production for the 2014 year they barely sell the 4000 or so that are made a year for the US. Subaru sells at least 1000 WRX or STI a month here.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I actually like that little 2001 Corolla. I learned to drive on a 95 Geo Prizm which was basically a rebadged Corolla of that generation. Zippy little cars in the 5spd that could handle like a go-cart.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Video interview with some more WRX details:

A closer look at the 2015 Subaru WRX - Autoblog

Here's a big one:The 2015 WRX has 5x114.5 hubs! STI wheels are go!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Video interview with some more WRX details:

A closer look at the 2015 Subaru WRX - Autoblog

It will be released to the public in April, but we'll start seeing media tests in December.
    Here's a big one:The 2015 WRX has 5x114.5 hubs! STI wheels are go!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson