The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 20
Page 20 of 209 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Ampliified They already said the STI will have a wider rear fenders and booty compared to the ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    They already said the STI will have a wider rear fenders and booty compared to the WRX so don't lose hope just yet.
    Praying.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

2015 WRX in Silver (this color was at the L.A. Auto Show next the Red WRX that I posted previously).

if you can find pics of the concept and the new wrx side by side, its not that far off. the exterior looked terrible at first, but its growing on me. i found some pics in silver and it shows more definition

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    The car looks very bland, no wide-body influence at all.
    Subaru have to leave some room for improvement in future models. I also expect that they want to differentiate the WRX and STI a little more to justify the price difference.

It looks boring in silver.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    It looks boring in silver.
    Let's be honest - it looks boring in every color. Besides the quad exhaust and a fairly noncommittal attempt at a rear diffuser, there's nothing to suggest this is a sporty or driver-focused car. Even the hood scoop has become more subtle. The 17" wheels remain which, for a sporty car, were dated 5 years ago. It really is devoid of any styling detail that screams, "Hey, look at me, I'm fast!". They're clearly trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and in doing so have left out any styling which might be offensive to any market segment.

It's bland, bland, bland. But, that's fine. I'm sure they'll fix it in 18 months with a facelift.... It wouldn't be a first for Subaru.

What did WRX's need?

1. More power and a more efficient/modern engine.
    2. Sharper handling/stiffer suspension/less body roll
    3. a better transmission
    4. bigger front brakes

We seem to have gotten that... Nice work Subaru.

What's the opinion on torque vectoring vs. a real front limited slip though?
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargk View Post
    What's the opinion on torque vectoring vs. a real front limited slip though?
    You'll have to clarify "torque vectoring" as it's a blanket term over a variety of functions and methods. For example, my Outback has "torque vectoring" similar to the STI with an electronically-controlled hydraulic center differential that is able to command torque bias front to rear (up to 80% front or rear, I believe). In this case, "torque vectoring" only applies to front/rear torque control, not side to side. For what it's worth, the Outback has a limited slip rear differential and an open front differential, like most last-gen Subarus aside from the STI.

I think your real question is whether or not electronic brake-controlled torque bias is better than a mechanically controlled system (LSD). In driving both, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. One benefit to the brake-controlled system is lower complexity, cheaper parts, and cheaper maintenance (just replace your brake pads). In the case of the 4 and 5EAT boxes, the electronic center diff will attempt to achieve traction before touching any other of the traction control mechanisms. It will only activate individual brakes and modulate the throttle once it's run out of options on the center differential alone.

Subaru all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works
    Last edited by Rambo; 11-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Absolutely Rambo. I mean brake-controlled torque bias. Is such a system up to snuff for track work? The brakes needed to be bigger on the WRX before asking them to do more. It would be nice to have the pads last a reasonable amount of time. Also, the new car doesn't have a rear LSD. Thanks for the link.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargk View Post
    Absolutely Rambo. I mean brake-controlled torque bias. Is such a system up to snuff for track work? The brakes needed to be bigger on the WRX before asking them to do more. It would be nice to have the pads last a reasonable amount of time. Also, the new car doesn't have a rear LSD. Thanks for the link.
    Well considering the WRX was never designed for serious track use, I would argue that neither the mechanical or electronic controls in stock form are all that great for track use. That said, it's far cheaper and easier to upgrade pads and brake fluid than replace/rebuild a differential.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Well considering the WRX was never designed for serious track use, I would argue that neither the mechanical or electronic controls in stock form are all that great for track use. That said, it's far cheaper and easier to upgrade pads and brake fluid than replace/rebuild a differential.
    It should definitely handle moderate track use though. The first WRX to hit the shores in the states came with a membership in the SCCA in 2002 and the press pictures of the 2015 WRX show how an extra set of wheels with R comps can be put in the back with the fold flat seats! 2015 Subaru WRX - Photos - Road & Track

I've only taken my WRX a few times to the track and it did quite fine. I don't expect it to handle major track use without some extra maintenance, but to me being able to handle a few days is good sign, even just for a street car.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

I was a little speechless when I saw it for the first time, now it's just disappointment. I had high hopes after seeing the concept, something all the drivers and critics seemed to love, not really sure why they can't just make it look exactly like that.

It's so obvious to me that this is a move by Subaru to appeal to a wider range of consumers, which in turn, is a move to appeal to the share holders. The bland, eco friendly look, the inclusion of an auto transmission, even the idea to unveil in the red color instead of the classic rally blue. It just seems like they are straying too far from what got them there in the first place and I, as a faithful subbie driver, don't really appreciate it.

What's maybe the worst part is that they really did make some noted improvements, things I would really want to have in terms of interior and under the hood. But is it worth it? The thing looks like my mom's Corolla for Christ sake.

I will hold off to see the STi, holding my breath that they make it look a little bit more like, well like it should look. But if they don't, I'll be ending my 2011 lease early for a 2014 before it's too late.

I was a little speechless when I saw it for the first time, now it's just disappointment. I had high hopes after seeing the concept, something all the drivers and critics seemed to love, not really sure why they can't just make it look exactly like that.

It's so obvious to me that this is a move by Subaru to appeal to a wider range of consumers, which in turn, is a move to appeal to the share holders. The bland, eco friendly look, the inclusion of an auto transmission, even the idea to unveil in the red color instead of the classic rally blue. It just seems like they are straying too far from what got them there in the first place and I, as a faithful subbie driver, don't really appreciate it.

What's maybe the worst part is that they really did make some noted improvements, things I would really want to have in terms of interior and under the hood. But is it worth it? The thing looks like my mom's Corolla for Christ sake.

I will hold off to see the STi, holding my breath that they make it look a little bit more like, well like it should look. But if they don't, I'll be ending my 2011 lease early for a 2014 before it's too late.

I Support ClubWRX
    The concept vs the production car really aren't that far off.

See this post for pictures
    2015 Reveal on on 11/20 at 10:30 a.m. PT at LA Auto show
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I think the new WRX looks good. It's not perfect, but it's better than all the designs from 2002 to 2013. From 2002 to 2013, the WRX has gone through so many different looks that made it seem like the designers were on a different drug every couple years. Now it seems they finally have gotten back on track. Why? Because it kinda looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx_m_m.jpg  
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon