The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 213 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 That's only because the 5 spd actually has better ratios/taller gears compared to the current 6spd. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That's only because the 5 spd actually has better ratios/taller gears compared to the current 6spd. If they literally keep the same gear ratios of the 5spd, and add a gear, meaning you can cruise in 6th while only around 2000-2200 rpms around 70-75mph, THEN it would be well worth it.
    This. Seems to be a big difference in fuel economy between cruising at 2k rpms compared to 3k.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's only because the 5 spd actually has better ratios/taller gears compared to the current 6spd. If they literally keep the same gear ratios of the 5spd, and add a gear, meaning you can cruise in 6th while only around 2000-2200 rpms around 70-75mph, THEN it would be well worth it.
    Actually most of them cite less shifting around town as the main reason... a couple talking about better gearing for AutoX as well.

On a side note... 2200k rpms at 75mph? Wow... my 2.0L cruises at around 3400 or so at that speed...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Actually most of them cite less shifting around town as the main reason... a couple talking about better gearing for AutoX as well.

On a side note... 2200k rpms at 75mph? Wow... my 2.0L cruises at around 3400 or so at that speed...
    Wow what 2.0L are you running? A 2L engine should not be revving at 3400 RPMs at 75mph. Maybe in 4th gear, yea.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Wow what 2.0L are you running? A 2L engine should not be revving at 3400 RPMs at 75mph. Maybe in 4th gear, yea.
    How do you know when you should switch gears without the blinker? lawl
    15 year old

Hypothetically a proper 6th gear could do that. The current 6spds are pegged about 3100 at 80mph.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I dunno. I know a LOT of people who really prefer the 5mt... including enthusiasts. I personally would love a 6 speed... but I've been finding more and more people lately who are considering or have already gotten a WRX over an STi because they'd prefer the 5 speed for a DD.
    I love the gear ratio in the 5-speed. its very good for performance no doubt. But, honestly sometimes while im cruising at slightly above normal speeds i look for that 6th gear and its not there. Subaru has there minds made up about the car but, a nice feature would be a transmission option in the WRX, not STi. A refreshed and better designed/built 5-speed would be nice as well as having the option to upgrade to a 6-speed at an extra cost. Subaru has changed alot, I remember when auto's were still an optional "upgrade" to the standard 5-spd.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SubiesaurusWRX View Post
    I love the gear ratio in the 5-speed. its very good for performance no doubt. But, honestly sometimes while im cruising at slightly above normal speeds i look for that 6th gear and its not there. Subaru has there minds made up about the car but, a nice feature would be a transmission option in the WRX, not STi. A refreshed and better designed/built 5-speed would be nice as well as having the option to upgrade to a 6-speed at an extra cost. Subaru has changed alot, I remember when auto's were still an optional "upgrade" to the standard 5-spd.
    Agreed on having a higher ratio over the current 5th gear in the WRX and 6th in the STI. I see the new corvette and 911 have 7 speed manual's. But since they are supposedly going to sedan only on the new WRX, makes it a non-starter for me. Going to have to keep my car for a while. Come on Subaru!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I know them feels. My old 2.0 2007 Tiburon had a 5 speed manual, and cruising on the highway drove me crazy! In 5th gear, you were at 3k rpm at just under 65 mph.....It wasn't the worlds most refined engine either (Hyundai had been using some iteration of that same Beta 2.0 since 2001) so highway cruises were loud without the radio...made the car feel so cheap (well, it was cheap lol).
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

If they go with a 2.0 instead of 2.5 does that mean it's going to be slower off the line? I can't stand how much less power the 2013 Impreza has than the 2012. I test drove a 2011 Impreza with a 2.5 and it gets going very easily with little clutch manipulation. I ended up getting the 2013 2.0 Impreza because I like the look, but it's quite slow to start off and you really gotta be slow with the clutch or let the engine rev. I'm planning to get a WRX when the new re-design comes out.

I also test drove a 2011 WRX and it had about the same power as the 2011 Impreza from a stop (without revving of course).

I just worry that a 2.0 WRX will have crap power from a stop which I can't stand. (But of course plenty of power at higher rpms).

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    So to feed the fire a little bit I would like to talk about powertrain choice.

If Subaru uses the tired old 2.5 that's been used since 2009 I will freak out! I realize we haven't heard anything but, I feel like they will. I would like to see some innovation put into the 2015 cars and using the same motor reeks of complacency.

Hopefully will will see or hear something from the LA Auto Show in November.

Quote Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post
    If they go with a 2.0 instead of 2.5 does that mean it's going to be slower off the line? I can't stand how much less power the 2013 Impreza has than the 2012. I test drove a 2011 Impreza with a 2.5 and it gets going very easily with little clutch manipulation. I ended up getting the 2013 2.0 Impreza because I like the look, but it's quite slow to start off and you really gotta be slow with the clutch or let the engine rev. I'm planning to get a WRX when the new re-design comes out.

I also test drove a 2011 WRX and it had about the same power as the 2011 Impreza from a stop (without revving of course).

I just worry that a 2.0 WRX will have crap power from a stop which I can't stand. (But of course plenty of power at higher rpms).
    What?

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post
    I don't like hatchbacks.
    You take it back

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    You take it back
    Agreed. Them be fighting words.

I Support ClubWRX

If they use the 2.0 hopefully it will be similar to the 2014+ FXT's, which are supposed to be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    What?
    Lol
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

If you're talking about the NA 2.0L...what the heck do you expect???

And no...an Impreza doesn't have about the same power as a WRX.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I'm talking about the 2.5 to 2.0 displacement difference having an effect on the low end power, power from a stop.

And yes, a normal "manual transmission" start from a stop feels similar between a WRX and Impreza, unless you're doing a revved up clutch drop. It's not like the WRX is a 3.6L V6 which has lots of power idle. Do you understand the concept of how the power curve of a turbo engine works?

If you're talking about the NA 2.0L...what the heck do you expect???

And no...an Impreza doesn't have about the same power as a WRX.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.