The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 175

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Raven Logics Call me choosy if you like, but why can't I want the best of both ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Call me choosy if you like, but why can't I want the best of both worlds?
    You can but, not on a WRX budget.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Too costly to own a BMW over time.

I don't know, a stage 2 STi is no slouch...once Cobb releases an AP for it, the '15 STi might just be the "both" you're looking for.

I know that, coming from my stage 3 '12 WRX, I was expecting my new STi to feel slow (since it is rated at about 100 less crank hp than my modded WRX was). Honestly, this car is more fun to drive in every way. I don't feel myself lacking for straight line acceleration. I can throw it in the corners at speeds that would have sent my WRX skidding into a ditch, and the STi just yawns and asks, "Is that all you've got?" It goes where you point it, and it goes there pretty quickly, with grip and a solid planted feel. The interior is still not Lexus, but I don't want or need that. The seats are nice, the steering wheel is awesome, the wheels are great, the exhaust sounds mean without droning or being obnoxious, and I've got enough little amenities to make me happy with my purchase. I've never been so happy with a car, or enjoyed a car so much in stock form, ever.

Having said that, I'm almost giddy thinking about what stage 2 would feel like, or even stage 1. Sure, still not the fastest straight line car ever, but for the money and versatility it can't be bested by any car currently in production.

All in all, I have to agree with Subaru saying this is the best STi ever built.
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    OTS stage 2 STi is about 285whp. That's not fast compared to many production cars available today
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo0034 View Post
    There's always a lightly used bmw 335i xdrive. If I remember correctly, the g37xs were harder to modify the suspension than the standard g37s. The suspension really has to be updated on those, the stock setup was too luxurious for me.
    The stock suspension on the XS was fine for me. The standard X was not. I didn't test drive a 335xi or and S4 because I might have ended up buying one - both my wife and I decided that was a bad idea because of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You can but, not on a WRX budget.
    And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ByrdBones View Post
    Too costly to own a BMW over time.
    The point is moot now because I have a 2015 WRX. But for less than the $20k+ difference to get into one of the German cars I could do a fair bit to the WRX, including an engine rebuild if I mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by XTi24 View Post
    I don't know, a stage 2 STi is no slouch...once Cobb releases an AP for it, the '15 STi might just be the "both" you're looking for.

I know that, coming from my stage 3 '12 WRX, I was expecting my new STi to feel slow (since it is rated at about 100 less crank hp than my modded WRX was). Honestly, this car is more fun to drive in every way. I don't feel myself lacking for straight line acceleration. I can throw it in the corners at speeds that would have sent my WRX skidding into a ditch, and the STi just yawns and asks, "Is that all you've got?" It goes where you point it, and it goes there pretty quickly, with grip and a solid planted feel. The interior is still not Lexus, but I don't want or need that. The seats are nice, the steering wheel is awesome, the wheels are great, the exhaust sounds mean without droning or being obnoxious, and I've got enough little amenities to make me happy with my purchase. I've never been so happy with a car, or enjoyed a car so much in stock form, ever.

Having said that, I'm almost giddy thinking about what stage 2 would feel like, or even stage 1. Sure, still not the fastest straight line car ever, but for the money and versatility it can't be bested by any car currently in production.

All in all, I have to agree with Subaru saying this is the best STi ever built.
    I think you are spot on. I'm afraid that the STI isn't the "both" for me at this point, but with the twin scroll and DI the WRX might be worth tinkering with a little to get me going in the right direction. I'll probably wait until my wife is off mat leave before I start

Finally had the time to go by the dealer yesterday.. Saw one of the LE blue STi with gold bbs wheels, the car looks amazing! Pics really don't do it justice, and so does the WRX. Im surprised at how much the side skirts protrude on this car, but they do look very nice. DGM is darker than I imagined, I thought it was black at first. Went looking for a white one but they didn't have one, it's the color selling the most apparently..

Quote Originally Posted by Subiaficionado View Post
    Finally had the time to go by the dealer yesterday.. Saw one of the LE blue STi with gold bbs wheels, the car looks amazing! Pics really don't do it justice, and so does the WRX. Im surprised at how much the side skirts protrude on this car, but they do look very nice. DGM is darker than I imagined, I thought it was black at first. Went looking for a white one but they didn't have one, it's the color selling the most apparently..
    White is the new silver. It's the most popular color in the world now. That's why I went with DGM. That, and during the snow season I have a strange fear that a white car will blend in with a snow bank when I'm pulling out and I'll get hit somehow. But color is subjective. However, the performance is objectively fantastic. Is it a beat all, speed demon in all cases and RPMs? No. But whatever color you decide to rock, you'll be rocking in fun style none the less.

Hope you get to drive/buy one soon!

I Support ClubWRX
    RCE's WRX is incredibly sexy.

GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

^ Yeah, those rims really tie it together, especially with that slight drop!

That is interesting. When I was shopping, color was a non issue, I just went and got what they had nearby. I assumed that white was un popular, since it was there and ready to go. I appreciate that it is understated though.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah everyone went out and bought CWP
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yep love my CWP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if he just bought bifier tires with those Enkeis rpf1s. Either way, it looks awesome.

Been keeping an eye out for for the wheels configurator at TireRack but they've taken quit a long time in updating it for the new WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    OTS stage 2 STi is about 285whp. That's not fast compared to many production cars available today
    Some '15 STi dynos are showing 269whp STOCK. Maybe we can't just generalize what a stage 2 STi will dyno any more. Or maybe those numbers are inflated to create hype. Either way, a stage 2 STi of any year isn't really a slow car by any means.

But honestly, even if it is "only" 285whp, that's not a slow car. I understand there are faster cars, but there are no faster cars with 4 doors, AWD, 6spd manual and the safety and convenience of an STi for the same price or less. Not a single one.

All that to say, I would not trade my "not that fast" Swiss Army knife STi for a 1,000hp Mustang, Camaro, SRT8, or anything of the sort.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yeah everyone went out and bought CWP
    My bro in law literally JUST now placed his '15 CWP STi order, lol.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk