The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 173

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Having owned an 07 Civic Si for 3 years, I can tell you the car is plenty of fun with ...

Having owned an 07 Civic Si for 3 years, I can tell you the car is plenty of fun with plenty of aftermarket parts, plus it's cheaper than even a based model WRX. However, imho, the WRX has a lot more to offer than the spirited, ugly looking Civic Si, starting with awd and 268hp which translate to plenty of fun in either the track, dirrt or the snow.. That's not to say the Civic is not a great car, that K20 engine is indeed a dream to tune. But imo, after having owned the Si, I just think you'd enjoy the WRX a lot more, specially after Cobb releases its parts if you plan on upgrading later on..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Subiaficionado View Post
    Having owned an 07 Civic Si for 3 years, I can tell you the car is plenty of fun with plenty of aftermarket parts, plus it's cheaper than even a based model WRX. However, imho, the WRX has a lot more to offer than the spirited, ugly looking Civic Si, starting with awd and 268hp which translate to plenty of fun in either the track, dirrt or the snow.. That's not to say the Civic is not a great car, that K20 engine is indeed a dream to tune. But imo, after having owned the Si, I just think you'd enjoy the WRX a lot more, specially after Cobb releases its parts if you plan on upgrading later on..
    thanks for the info! what about learning stick on the wrx will i have trouble with it?

Driving stick on a Honda will be far easier than the wrx. I miss my SI

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Pfff, I decided the '15 WRX is too slow. Damn ELH doesn't add enough performance!
    Meh, I promise the aftermarket will fix that. I bet the stock bottom end can hold 400whp on pump. Not bad considering that was the upper limit of the EJ255/257 with an additional 25% displacement.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by macalexis View Post
    thanks for the info! what about learning stick on the wrx will i have trouble with it?
    You'd have trouble learning to drive manual in any car honestly. Some cars have easier clutches but, it will be the same process in any car.

You will stall and you will grind the gears. It's just all part of figuring it out. If you're really worried about it maybe try and have a friend teach you on their car or go rent a cheap manual car for the day. Maybe that way you can get a feel for it before buying one.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion but, the WRX does offer a CVT now. Based on all the reviews I've read it is actually pretty good too.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You'd have trouble learning to drive manual in any car honestly. Some cars have easier clutches but, it will be the same process in any car.

You will stall and you will grind the gears. It's just all part of figuring it out. If you're really worried about it maybe try and have a friend teach you on their car or go rent a cheap manual car for the day. Maybe that way you can get a feel for it before buying one.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion but, the WRX does offer a CVT now. Based on all the reviews I've read it is actually pretty good too.

Noooooo don't give the CVT option to people lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post

@Macalexis
    While it's true there's a piece of me that wants that manual feel... I can't say I have regrets because I still enjoy the hell out of driving my CVT Limited. It's just plain fun. However if I actually had a choice between the two (not married, city traffic commute for her, or a wife who will actually stick with... stick lol) I'd go manual. I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you went with CVT just because you haven't learned or tried to learn manual yet. Now if your DD is heavy traffic commute and you just don't care for manual, etc. that's different.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post

Subaru did that for me lol

GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Im 23 years old and I do not know how to drive a stick shift car. Do you guys recommend me going with the subaru or would i have too many problem learning with it.
    If you personally like the WRX as much as many do here, it may be a tough decision. I was in a similar situation to this when I was going to buy a WRX a couple months ago.

I would not buy a WRX before I knew how to drive stick. Especially if it's a car you really want. It will hurt a lot less to go through the learning curves on a vehicle that is of less value to you. There are many options for learning but even getting the basics down before signing for the car would be a good idea.

A month after my WRX deal didn't go through, my Legacy was totaled from an accident. I then decided to sign a cheap lease on a 5 speed sedan. Being 1 month into driving stick, I am happy I have this car to learn on before I get a WRX. To be proficient with driving stick you need practice. IMHO, I'd like to have my skills down before signing for a new WRX. Just my $.02

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol, no - I have finally decided that it's too slow. Maybe it's just me.
    I've never owned a car that I thought was fast enough. At first you love it because it will have power where your last car didnt, then over time you find a new spot in the RPMs that is lacking in umph. So you try to fix it with aftermarket parts. Then realize you've lost power in the low end of the RPM and you're sad again. I think it's impossible to have everything you want in one car.

I chose the WRX for a spirited daily driver. I will buy some sort of weekend rocket ship after I finish this damn phd.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I stopped caring about straight-line speed a long time ago. I don't want an anemic motor, but my priority has shifted to caring more about speed through the corners and feel of the car to drive.

If acceleration was my priority, I could have done a lot better with $36k.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I stopped caring about straight-line speed a long time ago. I don't want an anemic motor, but my priority has shifted to caring more about speed through the corners and feel of the car to drive.

If acceleration was my priority, I could have done a lot better with $36k.
    ^^^^Yes this, this...and yes this. Lots of curvy roads and corners where I live, and was tired of my last car sounding and feeling like it was going to crumble around each corner. The REX handles around the same corners I've been driving for years like an effortless magic carpet. I Definitely didn't buy mine for straight take off speed, but as stated, coming off of a Sonata, it feels like a rocket ship.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Too slow vs what? The WRX has never really been "fast" in my opinion. At least not in the sense that most people are expecting.

I believe you and I had the quick vs fast discussion before and my view on that still stands. These cars are quick not fast.
    A part of it is the response time - I'm coming from a V6 with low end torque and an almost instant reaction to hitting the gas pedal, into a car where the usable power starts at around 3k rpm. If I floor it in 2nd at 2k it doesn't really do much for 3 seconds. I was hoping that a DI WRX would be more like the GTI with the flatter torque curve, but this car does not do what is advertised for me. I am finding that it's easy to drive the car slowly and easy to drive it fast, but moderation is cumbersome and switching between the two requires a lot of aggression with the clutch and revs. The response between the gas pedal and engine appears to have a lag of its own. I would imagine there are two things required here - firstly I probably need to learn how to drive turbo cars properly, and then I imagine my altitude is restrictive. This isn't my first WRX so I knew these things were a possibility, and to be fair I can't expect the same response and smoothness as I would have had from a good V6 or V8. I was hoping the power didn't tail off as much as it does as well, but it's livable. My expectations are often a little high

Meh, I promise the aftermarket will fix that. I bet the stock bottom end can hold 400whp on pump. Not bad considering that was the upper limit of the EJ255/257 with an additional 25% displacement.
    I stopped caring about straight-line speed a long time ago. I don't want an anemic motor, but my priority has shifted to caring more about speed through the corners and feel of the car to drive. If acceleration was my priority, I could have done a lot better with $36k.
    I am tempted to make a warranty-blowing change to the car. I had my '08 WRX tuned a little more aggressively than a Cobb stage 1 and it just did everything better. I am probably going to wait until next year to see if any unexpected problems come up with the FA first. But I hear you - the biggest difference between the '08 (which I hated) and '15 is the handling. I can't say that my Conti DWS are doing anything for the performance (gets a little tweaky during speedy mid-corner transitions), but it's pretty capable even on those tires. I still have to learn how to manage the power delivery better in tighter cornering situations. Unless rev matching and high revs is the only way to keep in the power. One of the things I liked about the V6 was the ability to moderate the power without being so aggressive.

And don't get me wrong - there is a lot about the '15 which I like and I have a feeling that it's just the tune holding it back from being a very fun car.

whats up every body im new to this forum but have been looking at this thread for a bit. So im searching for a new car and i am going to be ready to buy it in about a month. It is either between the 2014 civic Si sedan or the 2015 wrx. Im 23 years old and I do not know how to drive a stick shift car. Do you guys recommend me going with the subaru or would i have too many problem learning with it. And how flexible are they with the wrx pricing?? because they really don't give a discount on the Si
    Quote Originally Posted by popotamus View Post
    Driving stick on a Honda will be far easier than the wrx. I miss my SI
    Basically it depends what you want. Everyone who has bought the CVT has said great things about it, and I can say from driving the same engine/CVT in the Forester that it is the best auto in its class (IMO, DCT not included). So unless you are switching to a manual because you want to drive one, take a test drive in the CVT first. But if you want the stick then the WRX is not the easiest out there. I would definitely advise babying it while you get used to it, which will be less necessary in the Civic. There are others who have bought WRX's at younger ages than you and they have learnt pretty quickly. Also consider the GTI - you'll get great handling, decent power and a slick shifter for around the same price as the WRX (at a guess).

. But I hear you - the biggest difference between the '08 (which I hated) and '15 is the handling. I can't say that my Conti DWS are doing anything for the performance (gets a little tweaky during speedy mid-corner transitions), but it's pretty capable even on those tires. I still have to learn how to manage the power delivery better in tighter cornering situations.

Inflate your dws 3-4 psi higher. They have very soft sidewalls. Running a slightly higher psi helps.

Also I love the 15 handling and quick spooling motor. But the main problem like u mentioned is the gas pedal/dbw. It's not responsive enough. It's very inconsistent. It's too jumpy sometimes but than is slow to respond on rev matches or holds the engine when up shifting. I'm use to more aggressive transmissions/throttles.

Hopefully this so either fixed by factory or a tune.

Also IMO the wrx has a lot of response/power down low. I think the throttle is to blame for the lag. But it's still better than my 1M that takes a second or two to spool and than gives you a major kick in the ass lol
    '15 WRX- DD
    '13 Pilot- Work
    '11 1M- For sale
    '09 Exige s240- Blade 300 kit
    07- S2k- For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by shasan546 View Post
    Inflate your dws 3-4 psi higher. They have very soft sidewalls. Running a slightly higher psi helps.

Also I love the 15 handling and quick spooling motor. But the main problem like u mentioned is the gas pedal/dbw. It's not responsive enough. It's very inconsistent. It's too jumpy sometimes but than is slow to respond on rev matches or holds the engine when up shifting. I'm use to more aggressive transmissions/throttles.

Hopefully this so either fixed by factory or a tune.

Also IMO the wrx has a lot of response/power down low. I think the throttle is to blame for the lag. But it's still better than my 1M that takes a second or two to spool and than gives you a major kick in the ass lol
    Cool, so it's not just me. Strangely, when I budgeted for this car with my wife I included extra for things like wheels, winter tires, speakers and also an AP with a custom tune. I told her that I had no intention of getting the AP, but held the right to change my mind at any time. LOL, my wisdom did not let me down

Thanks for the advice on the DWS. I usually run 3-4psi more than stock on all cars (personal preference), but for some reason I chose not this time round. I will change them later today.