The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 162

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Car has made it to port (Baltimore) now just have to wait for delivery....

Car has made it to port (Baltimore) now just have to wait for delivery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not quite true. The Boxer motor is very balanced by design since power strokes are reciprocated by compression strokes on the opposing cylinder bank. An I4 has considerable primary and secondary vibrations. Most I4s are outfitted with balanced shafts to correct the vibrations. The vibration you feel from the boxer motor is a vibration that is parallel to the vector of the power stroke and is a radial moment that "rocks' the engine back and forth.
    It's not a knock against the Boxer motor, but if you listen to other car MFG's write and speak about the motor one of the things they mention is the result being a bit of a "rough" running engine as opposed to the smooth V. I personally am fascinated and in love with Boxer engines. But I was merely commenting that in no way is the Boxer motor a motor that claims to run SMOOTHER because of its design. Just smooth enough to make the greater handling worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by George U. View Post
    Mine too! It hit port over a week ago and I have no news yet...Hoping for it to be soon! HATE WAITING

Quote Originally Posted by Leify View Post
    It's not a knock against the Boxer motor, but if you listen to other car MFG's write and speak about the motor one of the things they mention is the result being a bit of a "rough" running engine as opposed to the smooth V. I personally am fascinated and in love with Boxer engines. But I was merely commenting that in no way is the Boxer motor a motor that claims to run SMOOTHER because of its design. Just smooth enough to make the greater handling worth it!
    Anyone else amused that you used the word 'knock' in a discussion about engine smoothness ))

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This is only because V engines use balance shafts and counterweights to smooth vibrations. These components also add complexity and sap power. If you wished, a flat engine could also be made to have a balance shaft. In reality, the NVH of the Subaru boxer engine does not have as much to do with the engine architecture as it does with the header design. The "boxer rumble" is actually the result of interfering exhaust pulses which also contributes to the overall harshness of the motor. If you were to drive a N/A Subaru, a 2015 WRX, or a turbo EJ with ELH, the first thing you'll notice is how much smoother the motor runs.

FYR, a list of all primary, secondary, and tertiary engine vibration characteristics by architecture:
    Engine balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

This is only because V engines use balance shafts and counterweights to smooth vibrations. These components also add complexity and sap power. If you wished, a flat engine could also be made to have a balance shaft. In reality, the NVH of the Subaru boxer engine does not have as much to do with the engine architecture as it does with the header design. The "boxer rumble" is actually the result of interfering exhaust pulses which also contributes to the overall harshness of the motor. If you were to drive a N/A Subaru, a 2015 WRX, or a turbo EJ with ELH, the first thing you'll notice is how much smoother the motor runs.

FYR, a list of all primary, secondary, and tertiary engine vibration characteristics by architecture:
    Engine balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm gonna just say you are vastly more knowledgeable on this subject than me haha. *Hats off to you*

I just want my car to come in and I miss the unequal length headers from when I test drove. Feels much smoother, no growl. But they gave the exhaust note a nice tone to compensate. We will see! Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by George U. View Post
    Mine too! It hit port over a week ago and I have no news yet...Hoping for it to be soon! HATE WAITING
    Where do you live? Hope it doesn't have to go far.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

zax
    If you wished, a flat engine could also be made to have a balance shaft.
    I wrote this, but I'm not entirely sure that this is the case. I will need to think about this further.

Or at least that a balance shaft may not compensate the rocking motion caused by the piston spacing offset.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Where do you live? Hope it doesn't have to go far.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    I live on Long Island (NY). I actually don't know which port my car came into. Is it all the same port for the US?

Boxer engine.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainking View Post
    Boxer engine.

This video only shows planar vibration in the X plane. Y plane vibrations are larger and this is not accounting for other rotational (torsional) vibrations.

Facebook me here

I watched that whole set of videos before, pretty amazing the technology that goes into these cars!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Subiaficionado View Post
    I watched that whole set of videos before, pretty amazing the technology that goes into these cars!
    Technology? Subaru?

I'd never consider Subaru to be a trendsetter when it comes to automotive technology. Even the FA20 can be considered nothing more than modern.

Facebook me here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4763.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	148593

I got her today! Man is this thing responsive! 2nd gear seems pretty weird to get into, maybe it has to do with the carbon synchro?idk, it still drives great. Two initial impressions: it's larger than I thought, and waay prettier in person than pictures. Guess I didn't notice during the test drive.

I noticed about halfway home that my all weather mats were not in the car, so I have to go back for those. It's kind of a hike for me, so I'll hold off on that until the plates come in.

So cool!
    Last edited by zug73h15; 05-08-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zug73h15 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4763.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	148593

I got her today! Man is this thing responsive! 2nd gear seems pretty weird to get into, maybe it has to do with the carbon synchro?idk, it still drives great. Two initial impressions: it's larger than I thought, and waay prettier in person than pictures. Guess I didn't notice during the test drive.

I noticed about halfway home that my all weather mats were not in the car, so I have to go back for those. It's kind of a hike for me, so I'll hold off on that until the plates come in.

So cool!
    After 3 weeks, I'm still trying to get the hang of 1st and 2nd to shift smoothly...

First gear is ridiculous... anything above 10% throttle and the car just lunges forward, and I have to clutch/brake, or shift to 2nd before I ram into the car in front of me. (I sit in traffic daily)

I previously had a 2006 Civic Si, and the transmission and clutch is so much better compared to the wrx. Nevertheless, I still loving my wrx.