The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 147
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Dan from Mach V has updated the Subaru OEM wheel list for the 2015s: Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Dan from Mach V has updated the Subaru OEM wheel list for the 2015s:

Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel Specs - NASIOC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome to ClubWRX! Nearly all enthusiasts opt for two sets of discreet tires/wheels for summer/winter. If you ask me, all-season tires (or "no season tires" as they are called) would be a real shame on the WRX. What's keeping you from running summer/winter sets?
    Thanks for the welcome and thank you everyone for the good advice and feedback. I plan on making the purchase this winter (hopefully VIP pricing), which is why I am interested in figuring this out now. I definitely plan on enjoying the performance of the Rex during good weather but as TheJ mentioned, I happen to be one of those people who doesn't necessarily want to deal with the hassle of swapping wheels twice a year (not to mention figuring out TPMS on 2 sets of wheels). I guess I also didn't want to take up additional space my (small) garage keeping the spare set around. Finally, it was also the added cost to a brand new car, and then having to deal with selling the summer tires that came off separately. However, as RichD514 mentioned, a set of wheels and tires can be done for as little as $600, so that's not too terrible. I do snowboard, so I plan on driving the car up into the mountains in the winter. The AWD in the snow is one of the other reasons I was interested in getting my first subi (you see a ton of them on the mountain).

I've always had all-season tires on my cars and they have been okay thus far. Having never driven with dedicated tires for the summer/winter I'm sure I am missing out and can appreciate that the car will handle that much better with them. I guess I figured it didn't make enough of a difference to bother with; but it sounds like it makes a huge difference based on the feedback. I guess I will start looking into getting a set before I get the Rex and switch them out once I finally bring it home (can’t wait!!!).
    Last edited by drwrxman; 04-29-2014 at 06:21 PM.

zax
    They make an enormous difference! I think after experiencing a WRX with summer performance tires, A/S will be very disappointing.

Tires are the most important upgrade in both cornering and braking.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I let my wife decide for me. She knew I wouldn't shut up if I got a car I wasn't happy with. That backfired on her, I can't stop talking about how much I like the WRX...
    Yeah I keep talking numbers with her and she's definitely like blah blah blah in her head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    That's basically what I ordered.
    If I do get it I will feel special since you have one lol

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I know that talk all too well! I have convinced my wife that it's a good idea. Next year we will both be getting new Subaru's!! In the meantime we are saving up down payments and paying down loans.

I really wanted to hop into a 2015 but, after that talk I realized waiting until next year isn't all that bad. Any first year glitches are likely to be weeded out and the aftermarket will be much stronger. (This is how I rationalize it for myself, don't rain on my parade lol)
    Rain rain rain

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    They make an enormous difference! I think after experiencing a WRX with summer performance tires, A/S will be very disappointing.

Tires are the most important upgrade in both cornering and braking.

This is 100% correct. A/S is a compromise, difficult to except on the WRX. Some say best of both worlds, some say worst of both worlds. Of course, the initial investment is fairly significant. Often times the affordability of the investment can be the tipping point, especially if you'll need dedicated winter tires.

If you can fit the investment in the budget, I recommend doing so. As you put a pencil to your budgeting, don't forget to calculate the cost savings associated with longer tire life, if you are Summer-Performance, Winter-Snows.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

zax
    It would actually be the same when considering long term investment. Tires have a finite lifetime and owning two sets of tires effectively doubles the lifetime of the stock.

Facebook me here

I think it totally depends on location. Here in NY (except this past winter), you can get by with good AS like the DWS or Hankooks, especially with an AWD car. My only issue with snow tires (even though they are amazing in snow), is that they suck to drive on when the weather is decent during the winter. If your area isn't freezing or have snow on the ground a majority of the winter, i prefer an AS.

I changed the oem summer tires for the hankook AS b.c they handle almost as good, have better ride comfort, much less tire noise, & better wear.
    '15 WRX- DD
    '13 Pilot- Work
    '11 1M- For sale
    '09 Exige s240- Blade 300 kit
    07- S2k- For Sale

zax
    AS tires will never corner close to as well as good summer rubber. To believe otherwise is fooling yourself.

Facebook me here

AS tires will never corner close to as well as good summer rubber. To believe otherwise is fooling yourself.
    i agree. But IMO the OEM summers aren't that great either. The Hankook ventus s1 noble 2 handles almost as well as the OEM summers. Now if you are comparing it to running a far superior tire like a PSS it's a different story. & for a DD that i drive 20k a year on i rather have the ride comfort, less tire noise, wear, & versatility. Ill take my Exige out to hit the corners
    '15 WRX- DD
    '13 Pilot- Work
    '11 1M- For sale
    '09 Exige s240- Blade 300 kit
    07- S2k- For Sale

It's play time

It's play time

Quote Originally Posted by Rainking View Post
    It's play time

Dat cluster doe

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainking View Post
    It's play time

Jealous! I should be there next week

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by shasan546 View Post
    I think it totally depends on location. Here in NY (except this past winter), you can get by with good AS like the DWS or Hankooks, especially with an AWD car. My only issue with snow tires (even though they are amazing in snow), is that they suck to drive on when the weather is decent during the winter. If your area isn't freezing or have snow on the ground a majority of the winter, i prefer an AS.
    This is the reason I've always gone with "high performance" snows. My favorites are the Dunlop Winter Sports. I really don't feel like they give up much in terms of performance compared to a non performance oriented A/S (PS3 A/S fall into what I would consider "performance oriented" A/S), and they've never disappointed me in snowy/icy conditions.

Picked her up yesterday, not a beautiful day this morning... but any day is a good day to drive a new REX...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	146601

I put about 140 miles on it, so psyched for 1k!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.