The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 139

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just hit 1000 on my 2014 and was wondering too...

I just hit 1000 on my 2014 and was wondering too
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount, Corsa CBE
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is no right answer, some people change it right after break in some wait until 3000-3500 miles. I would never wait 6000 miles to change the oil, granted this is a different engine than the previous generations but EJs were known to consume oil. My dealer recommends every 3 months or 3500 miles

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The right answer is follow the shop manual.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I don't understand. Why are the guidelines set by the Subaru engineers that built the cars so hard to follow...?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by tranck View Post
    So what's the consensus regarding an oil change at 1000 miles?

I know that the 1st oil service is not scheduled at that interval but, is this a preventative measure for a brand new car and is this the thing to do for our new WRX's?
    There is nothing to be gained by changing your oil early. You are just spending more money. I would follow the service schedule that Subaru has in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I don't understand. Why are the guidelines set by the Subaru engineers that built the cars so hard to follow...?
    Yea I hear ya. They're very easy to follow, but I've heard one to many people around this forum changing after break in and I was wondering if there was a reason for it. I have never changed oil at 1000 miles before. One less thing to do this weekend!
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount, Corsa CBE
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

Some people will change it because they think that after break in, there will be metal particulates left over from the original machining of the engine during production and breaking it in. So, people will change the oil to get fresh oil in there.

Personally, I've never done that and don't really care. Follow the manual.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Some people will change it because they think that after break in, there will be metal particulates left over from the original machining of the engine during production and breaking it in. So, people will change the oil to get fresh oil in there.

Personally, I've never done that and don't really care. Follow the manual.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by tranck View Post
    So what's the consensus regarding an oil change at 1000 miles?

I know that the 1st oil service is not scheduled at that interval but, is this a preventative measure for a brand new car and is this the thing to do for our new WRX's?
    As far as I know synthetic oil is not ideal for break-in, which is consistent with my dealer advising me that the oil contains an additive to help with the process. They strongly advised me against changing the oil early as you will also be removing that additive. At the end of the day though, if this was critical then Subaru would have plastered warnings everywhere advising of this, so do what you think is best.

Stereo update: I might have stated a while ago that the base stereo is crap. Speakers also need time to break in. After 600 miles I would say they are not as bad as I originally thought, definitely more livable than when I first got the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Stereo update: I might have stated a while ago that the base stereo is crap. Speakers also need time to break in. After 600 miles I would say they are not as bad as I originally thought, definitely more livable than when I first got the car.
    After 1700 miles and my first extended trip I stand by my statement more than ever about the base stereo being crap. Part of the issue is road noise in the car at anything above 50-60, but a lot of times a good stereo can compensate a bit. This one really gets drowned out and hissy trying to listen to it while going 70 on the highway.

New speakers and an amp will more than likely be my first upgrade to this car. Have yet to find anything else I truly dislike about this car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrrwin View Post
    After 1700 miles and my first extended trip I stand by my statement more than ever about the base stereo being crap.
    I said "not as bad as I first thought", not "good"

Honestly, the base stereo is the only real reasonable weakness with the car. Bluetooth Audio sounds way better than XM and FM though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah my bugeye new with the premium stereo option was a giant disappointment. So much so that when I bought my 04 STi new I was actually happy that It didn't come with a radio so I just went aftermarket for it. Subaru has long had suck sound in them. I am hopeful that the Harman Kardon option now available is not so terrible. I've read some good feedback.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC