The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 137

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 96accord Bad Bad Bad mental picture No no you're imagining it wrong...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Bad Bad Bad mental picture
    No no you're imagining it wrong
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It's not the DI that reduces lag. The smaller turbo, ELH, increased CR, and longer stroke all serve to reduce lag and improve transient response.
    There a few people who have indicated that the 2015 has an almost instant response - I'm just correcting that. It could just be because I have been driving a VQ with gobs of low-end torque and need to re-adjust. Don't get me wrong - the car is pretty awesome, but I do miss that one thing a little.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 04-19-2014 at 09:04 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    There a few people who have indicated that the 2015 has an almost instant response - I'm just correcting that. It could just be because I have been driving a VQ with gobs of low-end torque and need to re-adjust. Don't get me wrong - the car is pretty awesome, but I do miss that one thing a little.
    Other people might be comparing it to the older WRXs where boost didn't hit until almost 4k rpms. While the new one isn't 100% instant on, it is a vast improvement!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Other people might be comparing it to the older WRXs where boost didn't hit until almost 4k rpms. While the new one isn't 100% instant on, it is a vast improvement!

4k is a bit of an exaggeration, but look at the turbo response curves posted on NASIOC and C&D... The new WRX responds 300% faster than the STi.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    4k is a bit of an exaggeration, but look at the turbo response curves posted on NASIOC and C&D... The new WRX responds 300% faster than the STi.
    There may have been some exaggeration used lol.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post

Yeah exactly.
    There really is no escaping the fact that a small four cylinder engine is a still a small four cylinder engine. What it can be made to do economically now a days compared to yesteryear is amazing but it will never behave just like a larger displacement motor. There are always compromises. The old tired cliche about replacement for displacement.. obviously is a cliche for a reason. Anyone coming from larger displacement set ups will undoubtedly feel like calling bs on reports/claims of "there no lag at all". But in comparison to previous iterations of 4 cylinder turbo set ups, I'm sure there is little feeling of lag... So much less that it isn't outrageous to state it as "no lag" but Its by comparison only.

I haven't driven a 15 wrx yet but as a comparison, I was very impressed by the DI twin scroll turbo 2.0 in my sonata. It is worlds better in terms of lag and usable torque than my old bugeye in everyday driving. But coming from larger displacement prior to the sonata, there is still lag.. And a dip in torque in the upper part of the rpm range similar to the new wrx. Acceleration from a stop is really impressive for a four cylinder but there are still times where you have to be aware of where the torque and where it's not. If am accelerating slowly and then decide to floor it, it feels flat and leggy. I'm sure the wrx is not identical to my hyndai but I imagine there are similarities.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

FWIW, my dad has a base Boxster w the 2.7 H6, and I feel like the torque hits sooner and harder on my 15 Rex. My moms NA MB 3.5L V6 makes exactly 268 HP and 258 tq like the subie, but that feels like it dumps the torque sooner and flatter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by asindhidude View Post
    FWIW, my dad has a base Boxster w the 2.7 H6, and I feel like the torque hits sooner and harder on my 15 Rex. My moms NA MB 3.5L V6 makes exactly 268 HP and 258 tq like the subie, but that feels like it dumps the torque sooner and flatter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    As they should.
    -The J

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Yeah exactly.
    There really is no escaping the fact that a small four cylinder engine is a still a small four cylinder engine. What it can be made to do economically now a days compared to yesteryear is amazing but it will never behave just like a larger displacement motor. There are always compromises. The old tired cliche about replacement for displacement.. obviously is a cliche for a reason. Anyone coming from larger displacement set ups will undoubtedly feel like calling bs on reports/claims of "there no lag at all". But in comparison to previous iterations of 4 cylinder turbo set ups, I'm sure there is little feeling of lag... So much less that it isn't outrageous to state it as "no lag" but Its by comparison only.

I haven't driven a 15 wrx yet but as a comparison, I was very impressed by the DI twin scroll turbo 2.0 in my sonata. It is worlds better in terms of lag and usable torque than my old bugeye in everyday driving. But coming from larger displacement prior to the sonata, there is still lag.. And a dip in torque in the upper part of the rpm range similar to the new wrx. Acceleration from a stop is really impressive for a four cylinder but there are still times where you have to be aware of where the torque and where it's not. If am accelerating slowly and then decide to floor it, it feels flat and leggy. I'm sure the wrx is not identical to my hyndai but I imagine there are similarities.
    Thanks, this makes sense to me. Ideally I think I'd prefer a bigger engine but did not want to pay S4 prices to get AWD and a manual. I didn't particularly care for my '08 WRX when I had it, but there are enough great things about the '15 that makes the compromise easy to take.

I still can't decide on wheels though - any thoughts on how the Enkei GTC01 in hyper-black might look on galaxy blue?

I Support ClubWRX
    I still can't decide on wheels though - any thoughts on how the Enkei GTC01 in hyper-black might look on galaxy blue?
    I think those would look awesome!

Last edited by michaelwfox; 04-21-2014 at 05:55 AM.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

zax
    If Enkeis, then NT03s or RPF1s

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J

If Enkeis, then NT03s or RPF1s
    Both of those wheel styles just seem a little old and don't really fit the more modern design of the '15 to me. On the other hand designs like the GTC01 seem to be repeated so many times, including for OEM applications. I wish I had the chance to see them next to the car to know for sure rather than relying on internet pictures. I think I am just bored of searching for alternatives so will most likely either get the GTC01 or wait for the Leggeras to come out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Both of those wheel styles just seem a little old and don't really fit the more modern design of the '15 to me. On the other hand designs like the GTC01 seem to be repeated so many times, including for OEM applications. I wish I had the chance to see them next to the car to know for sure rather than relying on internet pictures. I think I am just bored of searching for alternatives so will most likely either get the GTC01 or wait for the Leggeras to come out.
    Our Sammich Makin Princess Dez might be able to do a p-shop to give a rough idea of what they'd look like. Throw up a PhotoShop request in the photography forum.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

EDIT: Double post. See next page.