The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 105

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by stilletto Let's hope so. Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk Truth is, we know nothing yet. I'm ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Let's hope so.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Truth is, we know nothing yet. I'm hoping, based on a few telltale signs, that the 6MT has been strengthened.

1. Torque output on the new 2L is up over the outgoing 2.5L. Hopefully Subaru recognized that the increase in torque should be coupled with stronger drivetrain components. Of course, that was not the case in 2006, and if it's within reasonable tolerance, they won't spend the R&D.
    2. In one of the initial reviews (don't recall the source), SOA informed the reviewer during a hard launch "not to worry" and that "the transmission could take it." That is comforting, to a degree.
    3. From my own observation, it seems that the underbody shots of the 2015 WRX reveal a shorter bell-housing on the transmission, which may have necessitated the switch to cable-linkage. While this doesn't necessarily mean the transmission will be stronger, it points to the fact that Subaru may have intentionally reduced the input shaft length, which remedies a problem with the 5MT. Not a strong argument; just an observation.

I highly doubt the new 6MT is as strong as the 6MT in the STi. Subaru still refers to the STi 6MT as its "heavy duty transmission," suggesting that the value proposition for the STi may still be the transmission. If the new 6MT is even as strong as the outgoing 5MT, color me happy. I suppose it's up to us early-adopters to find out, perhaps the hard way
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Newb here.

My '12 Sonata 2.0T lease is up in 10 months. Leaning heavily towards a '15 WRX Limited to replace it (another lease).

So, here's my dilemma. I've never owned a manual tranny before. Used to drive my dad's '97 Wrangler Sport 5 speed around town, but never "mastered it."

Should I go for the 6 speed or CVT? Do you guys really enjoy rowing the gears or does it get annoying in a daily driver?

I'm sure I'd master the WRX after a week or two, but don't want any regrets. I live in the mountains, so lots of hills but light on traffic.

Banned
    Alien(s) Landing ACROSS Native territories!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
    NEWBIE HUR

So, here's my dilemma. I've never owned a manual tranny before. Used to drive my dad's '97 Wrangler Sport 5 speed around town, but never "mastered it."

Should I go for the 6 speed or CVT? Do you guys really enjoy rowing the gears or does it get annoying in a daily driver?

I'm sure I'd master the WRX after a week or two, but don't want any regrets. I live in the mountains, so lots of hills but light on traffic.
    Oh how I wish there would be a good price on the CVT- Turbo as they are asking way too much for the Auto-tragic CVT and I for one feel we should boycott Soob due to charging more for the non-performance CVT then the more performance oriented 6MT. If the 6MT is TRUELY WHERE IT BE AT, you know then we for all should SPEAK UP and LET SOOB KNOW A THING OR A THANG or two about how non-planatory devices like the '15 CVT should be priced and that should be considerably lower and for crying out loud, offer a CVT in the lowest trim so we can all jam on some new FIFTEEN FOOL, WRX!

Hey Monkee, It is decent to know I am not the only who has never shifted a MT. Oh I did test drive an S2000 and it was very easy clutch shift, clutch shift but I only went down the block from the dealer and really just crawled slow thru a lot or two but nothing MASTER or ADVANCED level like you mentioned. What are we gonna do cause Soob is not even offering the CVT-Auto-tragic turbo in the lower trims! Isn't this another form of price gouging?!?! Bit back to the focus, I hear the shifter is like stick in a bed of rocks and very notchy, just think if you poke it in the wrong notch and shla-blam!, there goes your 6MT tranny off the Wrx, the one that can't take ANY or ZERO abuse! Yikers island!
    Last edited by AccordV62Wrx; 04-04-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Banned
    Alien(s) Landing ACROSS Native territories!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Truth is, we know nothing yet. I'm hoping, based on a few telltale signs, that the 6MT has been strengthened.

1. Torque output on the new 2L is up over the outgoing 2.5L. Hopefully Subaru recognized that the increase in torque should be coupled with stronger drivetrain components. Of course, that was not the case in 2006, and if it's within reasonable tolerance, they won't spend the R&D.

What are some of the ramifications for not addressing the drive-train when there has been suchs a significant digit wing in the torque or what was the correlation with the 1006s?
    2. In one of the initial reviews (don't recall the source), SOA informed the reviewer during a hard launch "not to worry" and that "the transmission could take it." That is comforting, to a degree.
    Do elaborate further on what the correlation or parallale you are drawing the most strength from?

3. From my own observation, it seems that the underbody shots of the 2015 WRX reveal a shorter bell-housing on the transmission, which may have necessitated the switch to cable-linkage. While this doesn't necessarily mean the transmission will be stronger, it points to the fact that Subaru may have intentionally reduced the input shaft length, which remedies a problem with the 5MT. Not a strong argument; just an observation.
    I know you guys mod the heck out of your sleds but are you really saying that the transmission can't get out of its own way or is not forgiving to errors or mistakes from the driver or pulling or pushing it into the wrong gear?

I highly doubt the new 6MT is as strong as the 6MT in the STi. Subaru still refers to the STi 6MT as its "heavy duty transmission," suggesting that the value proposition for the STi may still be the transmission. If the new 6MT is even as strong as the outgoing 5MT, color me happy. I suppose it's up to us early-adopters to find out, perhaps the hard way
    Ofcourse the 6MT in the Wrx couldn't or shouldn't be stronger then the 6MT in the STI but isn't this a bit self-explanatory since it is roughly a 10k more car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
    Newb here.

My '12 Sonata 2.0T lease is up in 10 months. Leaning heavily towards a '15 WRX Limited to replace it (another lease).

That's a tough one. Only you know if you honestly enjoy the MT. Since you've been driving an auto if you don't genuinely enjoy the control offered by a good MT it may just annoy the crap out of you. With the exception of stop and go traffic, automatic transmissions tend to just annoy the crap out of me because they always feel slow and make me feel more disconnected from the car.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    That's a tough one. Only you know if you honestly enjoy the MT. Since you've been driving an auto if you don't genuinely enjoy the control offered by a good MT it may just annoy the crap out of you. With the exception of stop and go traffic, automatic transmissions tend to just annoy the crap out of me because they always feel slow and make me feel more disconnected from the car.
    This. If you enjoyed driving the wrangler and think you can get the hang of it, then manual is the way to go. But if any part of you got annoyed, then CVT is probably your way to go. Most of the reviews I've seen and read said the CVT was actually pretty good so long as you stayed out of the economy mode. For me, there's just something about the control of a manual that I love. But only you can solve that question for yourself. I personally don't mind shifting. Ever.

Also, take AccordV6-auto tragic guys words with a grain of salt. He is quite dramatic lol, and to be honest I can't figure out why he's so butt hurt that an automatic system would cost more than a manual. That's how it is in every manufacturer. Lol, I'm beginning to wonder if he's a troll.

-GhostStrykre

Would anyone have an idea if the performance exhaust will add horsepower and if so, about how many?

I've ordered a Galaxy Blue WRX Limited with the CVT transmission - should be in around May 15th is the guess.

Can't wait to get it but, there's been limited information on this available exhaust system and wanted to see if I would add it on at the dealer based on your replies here.

Thanks in advance guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can someone confirm whether or not the 2015 wrx has fixed points for a roof rack installation? I think I read somewhere that they don't but was hoping someone who has already taken delivery can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordV62Wrx View Post
    Oh how I wish there would be a good price on the CVT- Turbo as they are asking way too much for the Auto-tragic CVT and I for one feel we should boycott Soob due to charging more for the non-performance CVT then the more performance oriented 6MT. If the 6MT is TRUELY WHERE IT BE AT, you know then we for all should SPEAK UP and LET SOOB KNOW A THING OR A THANG or two about how non-planatory devices like the '15 CVT should be priced and that should be considerably lower and for crying out loud, offer a CVT in the lowest trim so we can all jam on some new FIFTEEN FOOL, WRX!
    Boycott Subaru because they charge $1200 for the CVT, really? I locked in at $30, 200 for a Limited in CVT and feel that's a fair price. Maybe you don't think so, but I'm willing to bet others here agree with me. Maybe you need to learn how to negotiate sales more if you think it's starting price is too high. As far as performance vs more performance oriented, it's pretty subjective and even more, speculative at this point. Sure there are reviews, but that's a handful of reviews. All say "wow, this CVT is incredible, but you'll have more fun in the 6MT" That's their personal opinion. I highly doubt flying around corners, both hands on the wheel in a CVT WRX is going to become boring, or feel less performance oriented than a manual. I'm also not dissing manuals, or those who prefer to drive them. I thoroughly enjoy driving my fathers '99 540i 6MT, it feels tight and punchy. But simply implying that right out of the box manual is more performance oriented is dumb to me. I mean the auto comes in most cases with a rear 45:55 bias, little sporty in my book.

At the end of the day, if the CVT was priced less than the MT, I'm certain clutch hungry WRX fans would be cursing Subaru for forsaking them.

Bottom line: you can't please everyone...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tranck View Post
    Would anyone have an idea if the performance exhaust will add horsepower and if so, about how many?

I've ordered a Galaxy Blue WRX Limited with the CVT transmission - should be in around May 15th is the guess.

Can't wait to get it but, there's been limited information on this available exhaust system and wanted to see if I would add it on at the dealer based on your replies here.

Thanks in advance guys.
    If you mean the SPT exhaust then it won't add any HP. It is a cat-back exhaust so all it's for is noise.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by ByrdBones View Post
    But simply implying that right out of the box manual is more performance oriented is dumb to me. I mean the auto comes in most cases with a rear 45:55 bias, little sporty in my book.
    This. The CVT (like the 4EAT of yore) actually uses a center coupler not unlike the DCCD in the STi. Technically speaking, the CVT contains a more advanced AWD system.

That being said, I just NEED to have a manual -_-

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    If you mean the SPT exhaust then it won't add any HP. It is a cat-back exhaust so all it's for is noise.
    I agree that it's mostly for noise. While it is possible to slightly increase hp with a cat-back exhaust design, but I dont think that is the case here.

I've never actually messed with exhausts on cars with turbos, but on my old g37 there was a bottle neck effect between the 3" diameter cats and the 2.25" cat-back exhaust. The IPL version of the car came with a full 3" diameter exhaust and modified tune which netted about 5-10hp at the wheels. Don't quote me on the numbers exactly but you get the idea.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo0034 View Post
    I agree that it's mostly for noise. While it is possible to slightly increase hp with a cat-back exhaust design, but I dont think that is the case here.

I've never actually messed with exhausts on cars with turbos, but on my old g37 there was a bottle neck effect between the 3" diameter cats and the 2.25" cat-back exhaust. The IPL version of the car came with a full 3" diameter exhaust and modified tune which netted about 5-10hp at the wheels. Don't quote me on the numbers exactly but you get the idea.
    1. This a very different story with a turbocharged car. The exhaust is NOT the bottleneck here. The reason for power gains when going to a larger diameter exhaust/dp is the increase in pressure differential across the turbine. If you haven't replaced the "downpipe" (I "" because I don't know what the new pipe is going to be called), changing the catback won't improve output.

2. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the new WRX uses the requested torque control structure. Since the ECU is targeting torque instead of compensating for load (in most tables), changing any component won't necessarily increase power without tuning the vehicle. Addmitedly I am fuzzy on the requested torque control structure, but this is how I understand it.

Facebook me here

Cee
    Hey guys, It's my first time here. I'm from Columbus, Ohio. I recently ordered a 2015 Launch Edition STI. It's my first Subaru, and my first car with more than 120HP. So I'm pretty pumped as you can imagine.

Here are the details I've been able to secure for the car I'll get.
    - Keyless Entry & Start
    - Heated Mirrors, windshield wipers, and seats,
    - Auto Dimming Mirror Compass and Homelink, $260
    - Leather center armrest, $144
    - Cargo Tray, $70
    - Bumper Protection Film, $140
    - Wheel Locks, $30
    - Security system,$160
    - All weather Mats, $70
    - Short throw leather shifter. $340

I had a few questions:

1. Heated Mirrors, windshield wipers, and seats not listed as a package or upgrade accessory. Are these included in every model by default?
    2. Does anyone have any pictures of the 2015 STI with the side skirts or sti front lip spoiler? I see those as additions but I want to see what it looks like in detail.
    3. Does the STI Launch Edition include the Navi and/or upgraded sound system. I don't think it does but I'm not certain.

I see some people's dealerships already getting STIs and Launch Editions in. They're telling me here It's slated for May though. When would you predict it comes in?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    Hey guys, It's my first time here. I'm from Columbus, Ohio. I recently ordered a 2015 Launch Edition STI. It's my first Subaru, and my first car with more than 120HP. So I'm pretty pumped as you can imagine.

Here are the details I've been able to secure for the car I'll get.
    - Keyless Entry & Start
    - Heated Mirrors, windshield wipers, and seats,
    - Auto Dimming Mirror Compass and Homelink, $260
    - Leather center armrest, $144
    - Cargo Tray, $70
    - Bumper Protection Film, $140
    - Wheel Locks, $30
    - Security system,$160
    - All weather Mats, $70
    - Short throw leather shifter. $340

I had a few questions:

1. Heated Mirrors, windshield wipers, and seats not listed as a package or upgrade accessory. Are these included in every model by default?
    2. Does anyone have any pictures of the 2015 STI with the side skirts or sti front lip spoiler? I see those as additions but I want to see what it looks like in detail.
    3. Does the STI Launch Edition include the Navi and/or upgraded sound system. I don't think it does but I'm not certain.

I see some people's dealerships already getting STIs and Launch Editions in. They're telling me here It's slated for May though. When would you predict it comes in?
    1. Yes, the All-Weather package is standard on all WRX and WRX STi models EXCEPT the base WRX
    2015 Subaru WRX and STI spec page
    2. I don't, sorry. Perhaps Google it?
    3. No, the launch edition does not come standard with the HK+Navi package. Interestingly, it looks like it's not an option, either.

Facebook me here