The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread - Page 103

This is a discussion on The Official 2015 WRX & STi Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax If (for whatever reason) you refuse to drive a manual transmission, I'd suggest looking at purchasing ...

Banned
    Alien(s) Landing ACROSS Native territories!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

If (for whatever reason) you refuse to drive a manual transmission, I'd suggest looking at purchasing the Lancer Ralliart: 2014 Lancer Models / View Options & Trims / Mitsubishi Motors

It's similarly priced to the WRX with the outstanding Dual-Clutch trans and a better AWD system. Looks great too.
    Yeah but coming off a Honda V6, I just cant STOMACH any more standard deviation loss in RELIABILITY. I am making an exception cause the Soob is very quick and I know I will enjoy the handling but Mitsu just does not seem reliable for me. Is the Lancer Ralliart quick at all? I know looks can be subjective but isn't their design the same and old news? Evo MR sounds good but then it's not a Ralliart and probably too expensive.

Im still dreaming my little dream...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordV62Wrx View Post
    Yeah but coming off a Honda V6, I just cant STOMACH any more standard deviation loss in RELIABILITY. I am making an exception cause the Soob is very quick and I know I will enjoy the handling but Mitsu just does not seem reliable for me. Is the Lancer Ralliart quick at all? I know looks can be subjective but isn't their design the same and old news?
    If you properly take care of any car it should last quite a while. Each car has their own do's and dont's.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Look up Mitsubushi warranty (ps - its the craziest one available)

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    If you properly take care of any car it should last quite a while. Each car has their own do's and dont's.
    Definitely true. Subaru Legacy GTs from like 2005 to 2008 need oil changes like every 3500 miles to minimize issues with the turbo. The thing just required meticulous care, which some people loved. My wife's SUV on the other hand, it needs an oil change every 7500 miles and it's good to go. Minimal maintenence, and it'll be rocking to 200k+ miles.

-GhostStrykre

Quote Originally Posted by striker8 View Post
    Look up Mitsubushi warranty (ps - its the craziest one available)
    Their standard warranty excludes ralliart and evos

Been on the market for 2015 wrx base maunual for months best quote I've gotten in long beach ca for 30,600. Is this normal? My offer was 29,000 tops OTD. And they won't be recieving any till April 22. Glendale has 4 in stock but won't budge on 28,100 +tax and title. Should I lpurchase out of state? Any feedback greatly appreciated

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrykre View Post
    I didn't know the lancer had a better AWD system
    The modern Ralliart borrows its AWD system from the Evo X MR minus the AYC.

You're welcome to Google for confirmation, but I can assure you that the Lancer Ralliart's AWD consists of a rear mechanical (likely geared) LSD, an electronic center coupler with variable torque split, and a mechanical front LSD (likely clutch-based). In-all, the system isn't a far cry from the AWD used in the last generation STi. The 2015 WRX 6MT uses open front and rear differentials with a (very) archaic viscous-locking center coupler. This is the type of center coupling that was typically used in Rally cars in the late 1980s before electronic control was available. The CVT version (like the 4EAT in earlier WRX iterations) uses a more advanced electronic torque split.

Interesting that Subaru may be the last manufacturer to utilize viscous center coupling. My guess is that since the 6MT is an evolution of the 5MT, which has been around (in design) since the 1980s, Subaru has continued to carry this technology forward into subsequent generations. No reason to fix what is not broken.

EDIT: Just as a comparison, the Golf R uses a modern variation of Haldex, which consists of open front and rear differentials (with ATV like the WRX) and a geroter pump hydraulic center coupling (allows electronic variable split).
    Last edited by zax; 04-02-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Okay, done it - pulled the trigger on the GBS. Hopefully it will be ready before the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Okay, done it - pulled the trigger on the GBS. Hopefully it will be ready before the weekend!
    Congrats!!!

Congrats!!!

Banned
    Alien(s) Landing ACROSS Native territories!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrasonb90 View Post
    Been on the market for 2015 wrx base maunual for months best quote I've gotten in long beach ca for 30,600. Is this normal? My offer was 29,000 tops OTD. And they won't be recieving any till April 22. Glendale has 4 in stock but won't budge on 28,100 +tax and title. Should I lpurchase out of state? Any feedback greatly appreciated
    Just got a quote for 26,795 for BASE '15 WRX. That is a GRAND off what Soob wants but none in stock and it would be ordered and don't have the details cause I am afraid of dealing with this dealership already, it's scary buying a car cold turkey with NO connects and Zero-level support. Yeah, a grand off invoice is my best offer but nothing in stock. IT is total discouragement.
    Last edited by AccordV62Wrx; 04-02-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet!
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet!
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordV62Wrx View Post
    Just got a quote for 26,795 for BASE '15 WRX. That is a GRAND off what Soob wants but none in stock and it would be ordered and don't have the details cause I am afraid of dealing with this dealership already, it's scary buying a car cold turkey with NO connects and Zero-level support. Yeah, a grand off invoice is my best offer but nothing in stock. IT is total discouragement.
    If your not happy with buying a car before testing it then it may not be in your best interest to get the launch edition... The only way you are going to get one of these 2015's right now is if you order them. If you want to test drive then you will probably have to wait at least 6 months until the launch hype settles down.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The modern Ralliart borrows its AWD system from the Evo X MR minus the AYC.

You're welcome to Google for confirmation, but I can assure you that the Lancer Ralliart's AWD consists of a rear mechanical (likely geared) LSD, an electronic center coupler with variable torque split, and a mechanical front LSD (likely clutch-based). In-all, the system isn't a far cry from the AWD used in the last generation STi. The 2015 WRX 6MT uses open front and rear differentials with a (very) archaic viscous-locking center coupler. This is the type of center coupling that was typically used in Rally cars in the late 1980s before electronic control was available. The CVT version (like the 4EAT in earlier WRX iterations) uses a more advanced electronic torque split.

Interesting that Subaru may be the last manufacturer to utilize viscous center coupling. My guess is that since the 6MT is an evolution of the 5MT, which has been around (in design) since the 1980s, Subaru has continued to carry this technology forward into subsequent generations. No reason to fix what is not broken.

EDIT: Just as a comparison, the Golf R uses a modern variation of Haldex, which consists of open front and rear differentials (with ATV like the WRX) and a geroter pump hydraulic center coupling (allows electronic variable split).
    good info, i was just curious really.

i also just found this link: Outgoing 2014 Subaru WRX pushes new 2015 WRX to the back seat - Torque News

i can't deny that it'd be neat to try and grab a 2014 STi for well under invoice, but i think the 2015 still just has too much going for it. too many goodies thrown into this 2015 to make going back to 2014 worth it to me. i also hate rattles, and the hard plastic interiors scare me.