Golf R awd 296hp ! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Golf R awd 296hp ! within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Methodical4u For the price, I would hope they would have upped their power output. I've never been ...

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    For the price, I would hope they would have upped their power output. I've never been impressed by the R, nor the R32 when it was out either. They are very well built cars and very nice. I paid 26k OTD for my WRX IIRC, add 900 for TMIC, add 150 for FP, add 200.00 for DP, 180.00 for CAI, 90.00? I think for 3 port = 320 whp/340 wtq... add 25% or so to that and that's how much under 2 grand got me vs. the what? 35k Golf?

MUCH more impressed with the new VW GTD at 180 hp and 280 lb ft tq. I believe it is.... and that's @ 45-60 mpg according to a lot of reports.
    I'm with you on that. It won't be exactly a GTI with a diesel engine (won't have the same diff, I believe), but if the current gen GTI is any indication, it will be a fun chassis to throw around, should feel good in the driving I do with all that torque, and will best my current gas mileage by 2 to 3 times. Could be my next car, assuming it succeeds in the states and assuming I can still get away with a car this size with fwd.
    - Will
    Current Car: 2015 Honduh Civic SIgh
    Previous Cars:2014 Golf TDI, 2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I'm with you on that. It won't be exactly a GTI with a diesel engine (won't have the same diff, I believe), but if the current gen GTI is any indication, it will be a fun chassis to throw around, should feel good in the driving I do with all that torque, and will best my current gas mileage by 2 to 3 times. Could be my next car, assuming it succeeds in the states and assuming I can still get away with a car this size with fwd.
    it looks like it will be coming here. My Wife and I have a 2012 LX Accord and we will be trading that one in on a new GTD... what is is? I think 60% stronger chassis? It's bigger, lighter, and those things interiors put our cars to COMPLETE shame!

P.S. we're still a lot faster though hehe.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    it looks like it will be coming here. My Wife and I have a 2012 LX Accord and we will be trading that one in on a new GTD... what is is? I think 60% stronger chassis? It's bigger, lighter, and those things interiors put our cars to COMPLETE shame!

P.S. we're still a lot faster though hehe.
    Yeah, it's definitely coming to the states. I'm more concerned with how long it will stay here. I'm not going to be in the market for a new car for years.

2015 Volkswagen GTD First Drive - Autoblog
    - Will
    Current Car: 2015 Honduh Civic SIgh
    Previous Cars:2014 Golf TDI, 2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I need to bump this ... pretty much the only relevant thread I can find here on the Golf R.

I'm going to take a serious look at the 2016 Golf R.

My WRX just turned 12 years old this past Wednesday. Yes, I still love it and the thousands of $s I've sunk into modding it to my precise "needs". Think I have gotten all of the enjoyment out of those mods I ever will by now. From this point forward it is all diminishing returns. I feel it is finally time to replace me beloved Blobeye. Sad, but true.

Anyone care to talk me off the VW ledge? I know they have issues with reliability. On the other hand the numerous mod paths that platform has are bewildering and astounding. I've always loved the Golf in its many incarnations. They have gotten many more car magazine accolades than anything Subaru or Ford have ever put out.

My first choice has been the Focus RS, but the timing is just not right. A 2016 with the specs I want are likely many months away if at all. Who knows when the 2017 orders will happen. I'm having much better luck with the Golf R I'd like. The one I'd want will land at a dealer not too far from me in less than a month.

I really want a hatch this time, there is none better than the Golf.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-01-2016 at 05:49 PM.
    Moderator for: Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review, Detailing Forum, Engine Modifications, Exterior & Appearance, Mid-Atlantic States, New Member Hangout, Off Topic, Suspension & Wheels, Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Actually a SuperSpy. Take Care. SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I know they have issues with reliability.
    To me that's a show-stopper. The car has to run. It makes zero difference how quick or how fun or how pretty the car is if it's unreliable.

My Subaru has been generally reliable. Not as good as my wife's Honda, but close enough to where I would confidently drive it across the country tomorrow morning, as it stands, at 14 years old and nearly 190K on the clock. I would be astounded if the same could be said of a current VAG product, and the higher end the car from them the less likely I am to trust it.

I'm biased, but I'm also a big fan of the 21st century. We should be looking to replace our cars with non-combustion alternatives entirely rather than wondering if technologies that date to the turn of the 20th century and have been evolving for over 100 years will somehow limit us to less than, say, 200K miles of day in, day out service and reliability. It's got to keep running or it's not worth buying IMO.

If you think it's going to be at least as solid as your Subaru and if you think you'll enjoy it at least as much, then on the other hand go for it. Life's short, and if the car works for you that's fantastic.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    J’avais été fasciné par le bleu de la mer, le ciel, la fraîcheur intense qui émanait de cet univers voué à la beauté. Yves Saint Laurent
    Wait... I drank what?! Socrates
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know reliability is a problem, same as with the Focus. Decisions, decisions ...
    Moderator for: Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review, Detailing Forum, Engine Modifications, Exterior & Appearance, Mid-Atlantic States, New Member Hangout, Off Topic, Suspension & Wheels, Tri-State
    Mods & Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I know reliability is a problem, same as with the Focus. Decisions, decisions ...
    I dare say we know nothing about the Focus RS reliability at this point...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I know all about that. Consumer Reports has been just as unkind to the Ford as the VW.

Subaru is the sensible choice, even though it stubbornly clings to 20th century technology.
    Mods & Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I know all about that. Consumer Reports has been just as unkind to the Ford as the VW.

Subaru is the sensible choice, even though it stubbornly clings to 20th century technology.
    Stubbornly clings? Or has far less R&D budget [than most manufacturers] and uses the budget wisely on the mainstream sellers?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Stubbornly clings? Or has far less R&D budget [than most manufacturers] and uses the budget wisely on the mainstream sellers?
    Yes, that is accurate. Its like they use the WRX / STi to subsidize their core buyers.

I hate buying cars ...
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I have always loved how you did you Subaru. Total class. I think you have some great choices now though. I love the Golf R. I know the RS is all new and unknown yet for reliability but it still seems like a very cool car. And besides, that is what they make extended warranties for. I wouldn't let the newness scare me off entirely..

You should make a separate thread on your quest and let us live vicariously through you on your journey.
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar
    I know they don't have a hatch . . . but have you demoed the current generation of WRX? I know it's not as highly rated interior-wise as VW or have the buzz that the Ford has, but perhaps you may like what you see in terms of the updates they have made from previous generations?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I have always loved how you did you Subaru. Total class. I think you have some great choices now though. I love the Golf R. I know the RS is all new and unknown yet for reliability but it still seems like a very cool car. And besides, that is what they make extended warranties for. I wouldn't let the newness scare me off entirely..

You should make a separate thread on your quest and let us live vicariously through you on your journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post

Thanks! If this process was enjoyable I might create a thread. It is not. I'd hate to feel I need an extended warranty. We'll see how it goes.

Another Subaru is the sensible choice. I happen to really like the dealer I bought from They have been exceptionally good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterjake View Post
    I know they don't have a hatch . . . but have you demoed the current generation of WRX? I know it's not as highly rated interior-wise as VW or have the buzz that the Ford has, but perhaps you may like what you see in terms of the updates they have made from previous generations?
    I will be looking at the STi as well. I cannot live with that wing. A trunk swap or something will need to be done.
    Mods & Pics

Actually a SuperSpy. Take Care. SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My rule of thumb is morbid but effective: "would I drive to a funeral in this car with X" or "would I be seen dead in this car with X" where X can be a silly wing, a goofy paint scheme, a bizarro body kit etc.

Granted I can't see the exterior when I'm driving the car, but sometimes dignity is all that one has left -- or all that one ever needs.

Stay thirsty my friends.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    J’avais été fasciné par le bleu de la mer, le ciel, la fraîcheur intense qui émanait de cet univers voué à la beauté. Yves Saint Laurent
    Wait... I drank what?! Socrates
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks! If this process was enjoyable I might create a thread. It is not. I'd hate to feel I need an extended warranty. We'll see how it goes.

Another Subaru is the sensible choice. I happen to really like the dealer I bought from They have been exceptionally good to me.

I will be looking at the STi as well. I cannot live with that wing. A trunk swap or something will need to be done.

I think wing-less is an option now.
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.