BMW i8
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on BMW i8 within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Meet the BMW i8: 95 MPG, 4.5 Seconds to 60, and Gorilla Glass Windows | Autopia | Wired.com Seems like ...

I Support ClubWRX

BMW i8

Meet the BMW i8: 95 MPG, 4.5 Seconds to 60, and Gorilla Glass Windows | Autopia | Wired.com

Seems like a neat idea: 3cyl turbo engine in back, electric drive in front. The mid-mounted 1.5L inline 3 develops an impressive 231HP and 236FT-LB of torque (basically stock bugeye numbers)! Apparently this engine is also headed to the Mini Cooper soon. The ICE powers the rear wheels alone, and seems to be completely decoupled from the electric drive, making this a unique hybrid arrangement.

The electric drive in front develops 131HP and 181FT-LB of torque. The car can drive up to 77mph for 22 miles on electric power alone. With both systems combined, you've got an effective 362HP and 420FT-LB of torque, which drives all four wheels. This is supposedly enough to scoot the 3,330LB 2+2 coupe from zero to sixty in 4.5 seconds, up to an electronically limited 155mph.

I'm curious to see the sticker price on this. The unibody is an exotic mix of carbon fiber and plastics, which can't be cheap. Combine that with the complicated drivetrain, and I'm figuring this will be targetting well-equipped R8 price points. ($150k-ish?) Bear in mind the M6 convertible starts around $120k, so I'm not sure if the i8 would shoot above or below that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After my third droid razr I'm not the biggest fan of Gorilla Glass but that must be strange driving a FWD electric car to a Hybrid AWD beast! That is until the batteries die out.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    ...that must be strange driving a FWD electric car to a Hybrid AWD beast! That is until the batteries die out.
    Yeah, I would hope the gas motor wouldn't kick in mid-corner. The sudden torque to the rear wheels would be unsettling, to say the least. The gas engine prevents the batteries from dying (this is a plug-in hybrid, after all). When the battery reaches the lowest allowable value in software, the electric drive would cut over to regenerative mode, and effectively be drag on the front wheels as the gas engine drives the rear.

My wife's hybrid works in a similar fashion, albeit through a single FWD transaxle. It's not fun seeing the electric drive dip into regen mode with your foot on the gas...

While the overall concept of a plug-in hybrid isn't new, this drivetrain layout is. I can imagine BMW is working very hard to minimize any change in driving dynamics as the gas and electric systems cut in and out, but it's strange to think that at any given moment, this car could be FWD, RWD, or AWD...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

That is bizarre. I too am curious about the logistics of making those two engines...well...two totally different drivetrains really, work together in a way that resembles a normal car enough to make sense.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.