500hp Hybrid EVO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 500hp Hybrid EVO within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sooooo....... It would appear the Mitsu EVO for 2014 is aiming to dethrone the GTR, nm the subie rexies and ...

500hp Hybrid EVO

Sooooo....... It would appear the Mitsu EVO for 2014 is aiming to dethrone the GTR, nm the subie rexies and sti ' s ...... 500hp .... wow

Read it in the carbuzz.com for more "vague " info

Good news is, according to the same source, that the Speed 3 will be an NA 200 hp variety to meet the emissions standards FWIW

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Reporting on rumors. That's some sh!tty journalism if you asked me...

From Carbuzz:
    "A rumor that’s been making its way around the industry for over a year now has just been confirmed by Autocar: the next-generation Evo will be a plug-in hybrid."
    From Autocar:
    ...highly placed Mitsubishi executives are discussing options for a petrol-electric performance car...
    [from later in the article]
    But it’s far from a certainty. As Mitsubishi Motors North America executive vice-president of electric vehicle operations Masatoshi Hasegawa explained, there are still obstacles surrounding charging infrastructure to be negotiated before Mitsubishi’s PHEV cars can reach their full global sales potential.
    Last edited by mcdbrendan; 07-23-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added more uncertainty

Still.... if Mitsu does it .... Dang! Pretty sure the price will be up there....Oh well. Wrx must carry on the fight with the ST, GTI and the Golf R I guess. I'm still hopeful this rumor mill is true to see another maker challenging the GTR and the 911

I Support ClubWRX
    Pffffffffffft....dobut it. Factory 500 HP Mitsu is a laughable rumor.

EDIT: Before anyone says anything, yes I am aware Mitsu put out some 400hp variants in Europe.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Mitsubishi is a shadow of their former selves in the US. Their current lineup already has zero mass market appeal. The last thing they need is another low-volume, market-alienating car. Nissan can get away with the GTR since they have the rest of their lineup to cater to the wider market. Mitsuibishi needs a car everyone wants to buy, if they expect to still be around in the US in 5 years.

With zero brand appeal as it is, do you really think people would pay 911 or GTR money for a Mitsubishi? They need to prove they can make a higher quality car before making that jump. Nissan has Infiniti to show off their luxury brand, and with some Infiniti SUVs in the $70k range, making the price jump up to a GTR isn't so unreasonable. Mitsubishi's most expensive car in the US right now is the $38k Evo MR. Does Mitsubishi really think current EVO owners would jump to an $80k+ price point?

I don't.

/rant
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Yeah.... I was burnt by the eclipses and talons and 2000s on their hay days of 90s.... They were wicked quick.

Fast forward to the reality : May be it's their desperation to stay afloat......

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    EDIT: Before anyone says anything, yes I am aware Mitsu put out some 400hp variants in Europe.
    I don't think those crazy powerful evos were actually sold by Mitsubishi. If I recall, all of the evos in the UK had to be imported through Prodrive or someone like them, and thus those high power versions were actually created by the importer. I think I remember hearing something along those lines on Top Gear maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Mitsubishi is a shadow of their former selves in the US. Their current lineup already has zero mass market appeal. The last thing they need is another low-volume, market-alienating car. Nissan can get away with the GTR since they have the rest of their lineup to cater to the wider market. Mitsuibishi needs a car everyone wants to buy, if they expect to still be around in the US in 5 years.
    When Suzuki pulled out of the U.S. car market, I figured I would not be surprised if Mitsubishi followed suit in the next few years. They just seem like they haven't really done anything in recent years.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    When Suzuki pulled out of the U.S. car market, I figured I would not be surprised if Mitsubishi followed suit in the next few years. They just seem like they haven't really done anything in recent years.
    Yeah, I kind of miss Suzuki. At least they put a serious effort to win back US-business in their waning years. The Kazashi was a great car for its class and price point. The SX4 has a respectable following in rally (sort of like a mini WRX hatch), and I've always liked the Swift Sport (never came to the US, but great fun to drive in Taiwan).

Unfortunately, I think their years of low-rent crap cars overshadowed their new beginning. It seems like Mitsubishi is simply repeating history here too. Only time will tell.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think those crazy powerful evos were actually sold by Mitsubishi. If I recall, all of the evos in the UK had to be imported through Prodrive or someone like them, and thus those high power versions were actually created by the importer. I think I remember hearing something along those lines on Top Gear maybe?
    Top Gear did a segment on the EVO IX versions which only went up to like 340 and those were sold under a "Tuned by Ralliart" name I think. I'm talking about the EVO X FC-400 which was sold in limited numbers directly by Mitsu.

I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

it would be a shame if they moved the evo out of anyone can afford it range. it was a (top end of my market anyway) affordable option if i couldnt score a wrx/sti while i was still shoping for a new used car, theyre a lot easier to find used around here. still priced a bit high tho.

and i do recall a long time ago flirting with buying a 90's something turbo plymouth laser. that was a rocket back then, should have bit the bullet and grabbed it! i think it was awd too. must have been the old eclipse chassis right? i would love to see a redesign of those little cars, not the cookie cutters theyre stamping out today. said it right. 0 personality, 0 market. dont just drop a 500hp factory motor in it and move it into the upscale. if your going that route(for that PRICE) better do the hole durn car that good!

buy your evos now and save them as an investment is all im getting from mitsus ideas. they are going hybrid on the evo which is a double edged sword in my opinion. I love the evo. the hybrid idea takes away the point of an evo. you don't buy a car like a wrx, sti, evo, or even supra to save gas, although it is a good idea theres something about it that takes away from the car

I tend to agree. First, the six speed is an automatic, which is partly why I chose the STi. Now if they go with the hybrid idea its dead to me.

Although, my wife is thinking about getting the Toureg Hybrid which comes with almost 400hp from the factory, and I'm not opposed to that at all

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yeah, I kind of miss Suzuki. At least they put a serious effort to win back US-business in their waning years. The Kazashi was a great car for its class and price point. The SX4 has a respectable following in rally (sort of like a mini WRX hatch), and I've always liked the Swift Sport (never came to the US, but great fun to drive in Taiwan).

Unfortunately, I think their years of low-rent crap cars overshadowed their new beginning. It seems like Mitsubishi is simply repeating history here too. Only time will tell.
    Agreed on all accounts. Well, I've never been to Taiwan or driven a Swift Sport, but it does look awesome. My only real gripe with the Kizashi is that you couldn't pair the AWD with a manual. It was cvt only.

Top Gear did a segment on the EVO IX versions which only went up to like 340 and those were sold under a "Tuned by Ralliart" name I think. I'm talking about the EVO X FC-400 which was sold in limited numbers directly by Mitsu.

I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Interesting. Yes, I was thinking of the old MR FQ nonsense in the old EVO IX body style. I didn't realize there was a hopped up version of the X. Learn more about this car I must.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting. Yes, I was thinking of the old MR FQ nonsense in the old EVO IX body style. I didn't realize there was a hopped up version of the X. Learn more about this car I must.
    I got the name wrong but, here is a good article on it.

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X FQ-400 with 403HP Officially Revealed: 0-62mph in just 3.8 Sec! - Carscoops

This quote got me though.
    "The Lancer Evolution FQ-400's price has been set in the UK at 49,999 ($79,400 US or €57,100)"
    Holy crap that's a lot of money!! If I had $80k I wouldn't even be considering an EVO regardless of the HP lol
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 07-24-2013 at 06:28 AM.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I got the name wrong but, here is a good article on it.

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X FQ-400 with 403HP Officially Revealed: 0-62mph in just 3.8 Sec! - Carscoops

This quote got me though.
    "The Lancer Evolution FQ-400's price has been set in the UK at 49,999 ($79,400 US or €57,100)"
    Holy crap that's a lot of money!! If I had $80k I wouldn't even be considering an EVO regardless of the HP lol
    Cool. Thanks for the info. Even if it sold in the U.S. for maybe, $60,000 (due to cheaper taxes and such here) there's still no way I'd consider an EVO for that price. I'd be looking Elise, Cayman, M3, or even a very nice restoration project of just about anything.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast