2016 Nissan 240Z?

This is a discussion on 2016 Nissan 240Z? within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Apparently the rumor mill is in full force about the possibility of Nissan changing their Z car to be more ...

I Support ClubWRX

2016 Nissan 240Z?

Apparently the rumor mill is in full force about the possibility of Nissan changing their Z car to be more of a lightweight contender (response to the BRZ/FR-S?) with a 4 cylinder turbo engine. It's interesting, but not how I'm used to thinking about the Z, which, unless I'm mistaken, has had a 6 cylinder of some kind (inline or V) since 1970.

Four cylinders in a Nissan Z? Get used to it, because in 2016 the six-cylinder 370Z is set to be replaced with a smaller, lighter sportscar to give Toyota and Subaru a run for their money.
    With the emergence of Toyota GT86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ, buyers may have trouble justifying the higher price of the Nissan 370Z. But the next-generation model is tipped to follow its rival's formula with a lighter, more efficient and likely more cost-effective four-cylinder Z-car to arrive as the current model's replacement around 2016. The report from Auto Express indicates that the new Z will ditch its traditional six-cylinder setup in favor of an inline-four - likely with a turbocharger - but just which engine remains a big question mark.
    2016 Nissan 240Z Going Turbo Four
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that's interesting...

I Support ClubWRX
    My Zs each had a straight 6. Copied versions of a German motor, with 7 main bearings. A stout design and reliable, especially for its time, but the emissions were high, the output was low, and it was bulky.

Would I buy a turbo 4 Z? Maybe. The motor is still in the wrong place in the car, and if I wanted to compromise with a chassis that had the motor in the wrong place, there's always Mazda. Truth be told the MX-5 is a better car than the older Z.

Would I buy a $30K USD turbo 4 Z? No.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Carbuzz writer must not fully understand Nissan make naming style. Maybe he does - he touches on it later after this quote but the way he concludes he seems to speculate the 240 won't be a 2.4l which makes no sense.

The new Z could use an upgraded version of the 1.6 in the Juke or the 2.0 in the sister-company Renault's Megane RS, but a new engine being developed with Daimler could find its way under the hood instead
    Um.... being a 240Z - I'd bet it will be a 2.4 liter..... you know - just like the original 240 was 2.4; 270 was 2.7; 300 was 3.0; 350 was 3.5; 370 was 3.7L.

Just a hunch. If it's a 240Z then there will be a 2.4L engine developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My Zs each had a straight 6. Copied versions of a German motor, with 7 main bearings. A stout design and reliable, especially for its time, but the emissions were high, the output was low, and it was bulky.

Would I buy a turbo 4 Z? Maybe. The motor is still in the wrong place in the car, and if I wanted to compromise with a chassis that had the motor in the wrong place, there's always Mazda. Truth be told the MX-5 is a better car than the older Z.

Would I buy a $30K USD turbo 4 Z? No.

Yes - but I'd be interested in ~ 260-270hp lightish RWD turbo 4 from Nissan for ~$26-27k.
    Last edited by STiDriven; 03-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Nissan already announced that the current 370Z will go heads up against the FR-S/BRZ. No significant changes, except a big drop in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    Nissan already announced that the current 370Z will go heads up against the FR-S/BRZ. No significant changes, except a big drop in price.
    That doesn't make sense to me. The base 370Z starts around 33k, while the FR-S/BRZ is 25k(ish). How in the hell would they drop that much in price without a significant change, IE smaller motor? Not to mention, a V6 drives a lot different than a turbo 4, so I don't really see why they are comparing these cars anyway.

I'm a Nissan fan, but IMO it's a much different driving experience and I think Nissan would be better off keeping a 240Z and 370Z as separate cars.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me. The base 370Z starts around 33k, while the FR-S/BRZ is 25k(ish). How in the hell would they drop that much in price without a significant change, IE smaller motor? Not to mention, a V6 drives a lot different than a turbo 4, so I don't really see why they are comparing these cars anyway.

I'm a Nissan fan, but IMO it's a much different driving experience and I think Nissan would be better off keeping a 240Z and 370Z as separate cars.
    I agree completely. I love the 350 and 370Z. Tested one out for a few weeks...Didnt get the loan...but for the time being it was a fun car to have. Stock and it still turned someheads.. plus insant torque...beautiful exhaust note...loved it

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I agree completely. I love the 350 and 370Z. Tested one out for a few weeks...Didnt get the loan...but for the time being it was a fun car to have. Stock and it still turned someheads.. plus insant torque...beautiful exhaust note...loved it
    Yea I got to drive a 370 about 5-10 miles once (sadly there was a lot of traffic) and dear lord was that thing touchy. I was feathering the gas and it just wanted to go at any speed in any gear. I'd buy a Nismo 370 for sure if I had cash laying around.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote