The Official 2014 WRX Thread - Page 29

View Poll Results: What do you think of this style ?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like!

89 67.94%
  • Dislike!

42 32.06%
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2014 WRX Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think a sequential would be really fun too but why is know one on here mentioning dual clutch gear ...

I think a sequential would be really fun too but why is know one on here mentioning dual clutch gear boxes. Most of them are amazing and who wouldn't find a motorcycle to be more fun if you could fit a dual clutch transmission on one. Lightning fast shifts with thumb paddles haha. Most paddle shift systems in everyday cars are either cvt or just oldschool automatics. Some dual clutch systems are a little weak but most of them are great! And if anyone rips on a PDK out of a porsche it is only because they havent used one. I love manuals too but i will never try to say i am faster with one of them then a Dual Clutch Paddle setup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Faster has nothing to do with it. I want the driving experience that is "most fun". I'd like to try out a PDF-equipped p-car for the experience, though.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Faster has nothing to do with it. I want the driving experience that is "most fun".
    +1.

A few months after I bought my WRX, Subaru sent me a questionnaire regarding what I'd be looking for in a new model (because who's not thinking about a new car right after they've just bought one, right?!?). There was a question about the different forms of automatic transmission I might consider. Dual-clutch was the only box I checked. If there's enough interest, we may just see it on the new model... whenever that will be.

I heard from a friend of mine, who is the manager of a Subaru dealership, that the body style will have minimal changes and that it would not be noticeable unless you put them side by side to compare. But please don't quote me.

Just guessing but i bet it will have a different fog light setup/bumper and a hood scoop. I sure do hope it gets more than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by andrenelon View Post
    ...mentioning dual clutch gear boxes. Most of them are amazing and who wouldn't find a motorcycle to be more fun if you could fit a dual clutch transmission on one. Lightning fast shifts with thumb paddles haha. Most paddle shift systems in everyday cars are either cvt or just oldschool automatics...
    Do-able and certainly fun, but would drive the prices out of range. That is after all one of the selling points: a good, quick car for a relatively low price, add mods as required/wanted/budget. Just leave the automatics out no matter what...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Do-able and certainly fun, but would drive the prices out of range. That is after all one of the selling points: a good, quick car for a relatively low price, add mods as required/wanted/budget. Just leave the automatics out no matter what...
    Vw's come with a DSG for the same money. I've driven it, its not bad at all.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    ...a PDF-equipped p-car for the experience, though.
    Is that made by Adobe?

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Vw's come with a DSG for the same money. I've driven it, its not bad at all.
    True, but that's also FWD.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by andrenelon View Post
    I think a sequential would be really fun too but why is know one on here mentioning dual clutch gear boxes. Most of them are amazing and who wouldn't find a motorcycle to be more fun if you could fit a dual clutch transmission on one. Lightning fast shifts with thumb paddles haha. Most paddle shift systems in everyday cars are either cvt or just oldschool automatics. Some dual clutch systems are a little weak but most of them are great! And if anyone rips on a PDK out of a porsche it is only because they havent used one. I love manuals too but i will never try to say i am faster with one of them then a Dual Clutch Paddle setup.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

You don't say?!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Is that made by Adobe?

True, but that's also FWD.
    You can get a golf r for similar money to a sti with a dsg. They are actually better for all wheel drive cars because you can launch without trashing your clutch. I like manuals better by the way too. I just understand that manufacturers build cars to impress with stats and new technology. I have only owned manual cars and have opted out of two cars that had dual clutch options. My BMW and my gti.

I have to say that the cvt driving experience is a bit odd due to slow responses and generally constant, rather than increasing revs during more spirited acceleration. I suppose it has the main advantage of operating just like a conventional automatic to the typical user, while providing better mpgs.

Dual-clutches, semi-autos, etc... can be hit or miss. There are a number of good ones. Porsche's PDK has been given plenty of glowing recommendations, with people claiming that it's nearly telepathic. I'd love to sample it sometime. I also understand how these systems make a lot of sense on the race track where even hundredths of a second are critical. These types of systems sell in street cars though, because at the end of the day, they are just automatics.

I can appreciate the tremendous technological achievements involved in making them, but I think there will still always be a time or an instance where they don't work quite like you would want. With a true manual, you never have to worry if the car will hold that gear when you want it to for instance. I have to agree with Rambo though. Considering how long the manual box has been around basically unchanged, and how comparatively simple it is with today's automatics, we really shouldn't have to contend with sub-par units.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    I have to say that the cvt driving experience is a bit odd due to slow responses and generally constant, rather than increasing revs during more spirited acceleration. I suppose it has the main advantage of operating just like a conventional automatic to the typical user, while providing better mpgs.
    I do agree with you that it is a bit odd, though after driving the 2014 Forester XT my opinions on CVT's have changed a fair bit. I was fully prepared to hate it and write it off as a sinful abomination, but I was actually pretty impressed by the CVT. It had relatively good response time and ripped through the rpms pretty quick, and it didn't do any of the useless buzzing about at random rpms that CVT's normally do. The paddle shifters worked well in the pretend eight speed mode. I think it delivered the less than impressive 250HP very well, it felt like it had much more usable power. At the end of the day though, I do wish that the XT was still available in a manual.
    -Alex- 2012 WRX 5dr / World Rally Blue / Stage 3+Stig
    I sell Subarus in the Denver area!

"Just leave the automatics out no matter what... "

+1

The Manual Transmission alone is almost endangered technology.

With that said, I feel honored to have first learned how to drive a vehicle on a Manual Transmission.