The Official 2014 WRX Thread - Page 27

View Poll Results: What do you think of this style ?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like!

89 67.94%
  • Dislike!

42 32.06%
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official 2014 WRX Thread within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Rambo I love a good manual transmission, but automatic and CVT technology has progressed by leaps and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I love a good manual transmission, but automatic and CVT technology has progressed by leaps and bounds in the last 10 years, and I wouldn't be so quick to discredit them nowadays.
    Personally, I wouldn't care if a CVT version was 2 seconds quicker to 60mph. I want an affordable car that's fun and involving to drive. There's nothing involving about CVT. While I still get excited about driving, I'll never own an automatic 'box.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't care if a CVT version was 2 seconds quicker to 60mph. I want an affordable car that's fun and involving to drive. There's nothing involving about CVT. While I still get excited about driving, I'll never own an automatic 'box.
    This was what I was talking about. I recognize the technology, but prefer old school. Realizing that my CVT experience is limited in that its only everything else that subaru offers, currently in an impreza sport hatch, I am bored while driving.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    This was what I was talking about. I recognize the technology, but prefer old school. Realizing that my CVT experience is limited in that its only everything else that subaru offers, currently in an impreza sport hatch, I am bored while driving.
    Yup. While I'm sure it'll happen at some point in my life, so far, I've never owned an auto. There are occasions when I wish I could just sit back and relax, but every time I drive my wife's Outback I'm cursing it for not being manual.

Ordering a 2014 Sti tomorrow...... $500 below invoice...... wish me luck.....

I Support ClubWRX
    CVT is awesome tech..but I do not want one for my sports sedan/car.

I got in hot water with another member at a BRZ forum, for simply pointing out that I like true manuals for the involvement, and that this trumps any positive to be stated about manumatics for me. (I think the guy's wife made him by the paddle-shift auto model.)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I was having this discussion with myself the other day on the drive home.

I would seriously consider a CVT in the next gen WRX. Obviously I would want to drive it first to really get a feel for not but, I have reasons for wanting one.

I'm not getting any younger and in my "old" age I am becoming lazy. I love driving with a true manual but, its getting old. I haven't ever owned an automatic car in my driving career so I'm coming up on 13 years with manual transmissions.

The technology just hasn't been exciting until now for me. I'm of the mindset of what Isaac was talking about. I think a fully tuned Stage 2 with a tuned CVT to match would be extremely fun to drive.

I will always consider a true manual to be the purest form of driving, I'm just not going to knock CVT until I try it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well-put, and I can respect that. I fully realize that I'm becoming more of an outlier with each passing day, as a "non-25-year-old" that wants to row the manual. Most people in the world will agree with your thinking, there. Frankly, out of the small group of individuals that I call my "best friends", 2 of them don't even know how to drive stick, and the other hasn't owned a manual since some time in the 1990's, IIRC. They also aren't into cars in the way that I am..
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I also don't consider Subaru's manuals especially good examples of the breed. In stock form, they're awful, and while bushings/shifters/etc can help, you'll always be doing the "Subaru shuffle" to find reverse.

That's acceptable for a 50 year old muscle car, not so much for a 5 year old one. My WRX was certainly the most difficult manual I'd driven, and there were times as my left leg got more and more sore, I wished I could flick a switch and putter through traffic in automatic mode. I've only driven an auto BRZ, but I've heard great things about the Lexus-sourced manual. Good. Maybe some bits of the Lexus box will make it into future WRXs.

On the flipside, the Miata manual is absolutely sublime in stock form. Every gear could be found telepathically, and could be flicked into place with a finger. The gears are short, so you needed all five of them to hit freeway speeds, but it was an absolute joy to row through in all conditions. The clutch was light, but required no modulation. It was nearly impossible to kill. If the WRX shifted that well, I'd never entertain automatics. Here's hoping the new model offers some improvements in clutch engagement and shifting crispness.

I also give the BMW 5-series an honorable mention. While not as crisp as the Miata, the longer gear ratios and higher torque I6 meant you could hold second gear just about everywhere around town.

The gearbox was probably my WRX's biggest shortcoming. I never did fully love it like I enjoyed other parts of the car. I loved the engine for all its quirks, and that surge of torque as the turbo wailed always put a stupid grin on my face. I loved the perfectly bolstered and supportive seats. Even the low-rent interior grew on me as it was simple and functional, with everything right where it needed to be.

I'll concede that part of all this has to be rationalizing why I'm looking for an automatic in my next car, but I really do prefer a well-executed manual to other options. I just believe that automatics have come so far recently that there's no excuse for a lousy manual anymore. Subaru has lots of room from improvement compared to other manuals out there.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Very well said Isaac. I 100% agree.

Even Honda/Acura manuals are better than Subaru's and their clutch is the lightest I've ever driven. Its like pushing air.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I have to disagree, gentlemen...the manual in my latest Subaru is a thing of beauty!

Ok, so yeah, it's sourced from the Lexus IS...but honestly, it works so well that it revalidated my love of stick shift. A few weeks ago, my WRX was that car with the higher-effort manual (due somewhat to the stage 1 act clutch). Now it's kinda neat to step into that car. I know it requires more finesse, but it's not so daunting when you have a nicer option in the garage.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Ok, so yeah, it's sourced from the Lexus IS...but honestly, it works so well that it revalidated my love of stick shift. A few weeks ago, my WRX was that car with the higher-effort manual (due somewhat to the stage 1 act clutch). Now it's kinda neat to step into that car. I know it requires more finesse, but it's not so daunting when you have a nicer option in the garage.
    Yeah, like I said, if all manuals in the world were as much a joy as the Miata, and the BRZ I'm assuming, I'd still be driving one, no matter how much my wife complained. Unfortunately, I had a hard time passing off her complaints that the clutch was too heavy, the gear shifter too wooly, etc. She never could get the seat far enough forward to fully engage the clutch. Despite her general distaste of manuals, she was able to get the Miata going without any trouble at all.

So, as I said before, let's hope some of the great things about the BRZ's stick shift trickle into the WRX. Just have to test drive one in a couple years and see.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    You brought in the "I have to buy an auto to make my wife happy" thread into this one...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Little bit, yeah.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I will drive a manual until the day all you lazy ****s make it impossible to source a new car with a manual transmission.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

My last car was a automatic and the CVT is fun to flick gears in. That said, my camaro's tranny was modified for near manual shifting and the cvt's I've driven were fun in a way. I guess it all comes down to the fact that IMO....I like the shock of shifting. Even in OD my camaro jerked. Shifting the wrx smoothly you can feel the engagement. Unmodded slushboxes and CVT are just too smooth and disconnected. And these switch-shift dash mounted autos? No comment. Nothing nice anyway. They work.

I want to drive!