AMG enters the hot hatch market with the most powerful production four-cylinder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AMG enters the hot hatch market with the most powerful production four-cylinder within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mercedes-AMG enters compact class with the A 45 AMG Mercedes has thrown the wraps off the A 45 AMG ahead ...

I Support ClubWRX

Mercedes-AMG enters compact class with the A 45 AMG

Mercedes has thrown the wraps off the A 45 AMG ahead of its global premiere at the Geneva Motor Show next month. The hot-hatch marks the first time Mercedes’ performance division has released a vehicle in the compact class in its 45-year history. And its first effort doesn’t pull many punches, with a 2.0-liter engine that Mercedes touts as the most powerful series production four-cylinder engine in the world.

Said turbocharged engine boasts a maximum output of 265 kW (360 hp) and up to 450 Nm of torque, giving the unit a power density of 133 kW (181 hp) that Mercedes says outstrips even the most powerful super sports cars. Despite this, the engine complies with the EU6 emissions standards, with CO2 emissions of 161-165 g/km and fuel consumption figures of 6.9 liters per 100 km (34 mpg) in NEDC combined mode.
    The engine is mated to AMG’s seven-speed SpeedShift dual-clutch transmission, which transfers power to the vehicle’s 4Matic all-wheel-drive system that comes as standard. What this adds up to is a zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) time of 4.6 seconds, on the way to the electronically limited top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

The A 45 AMG also sports what Mercedes calls a “Momentary M mode,” which allows the driver to activate manual mode while in “C” (Controlled Efficiency) and “S” (Sport) modes by pressing the up or down shift paddle once. S and M modes promise shift times similar to those of the SLS AMG GT super sports car, while C mode puts comfort and fuel efficiency at the fore and activates the ECO start/stop function.
    Mercedes promises a “fascinating, full engine sound” from the vehicle’s AMG sports exhaust system that features large pipe cross-sections and an automatically controlled exhaust flap and is also found on its bigger brother, the SLK55 AMG. If that doesn’t satisfy, an “even more emotional and striking engine sound” can be had with the optional AMG Performance exhaust system.

Various option packages are also available, adding everything from a rear aerofoil and larger front splitter, to privacy glass and AMG wheel bolt covers.
    Just as Mercedes' introduction of the new A Class at last year's Geneva Motor Show was an attempt to attract a new demographic to the three-pointed star fold, the A 45 AMG is its performance division's attempt to appeal to buyers who are younger than AMG's traditional clientele – and when we say younger, we mean those in the 30 to mid-40 age bracket.
    The A 45 AMG is set to go on sale on April 8, 2013, at a price yet to be announced. It will make its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show, which starts on March 5.
    Source: Mercedes-Benz

Pics

More pics: A 45 AMG - BBC Top Gear
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Badass car, but I feel like part of the persona of a "hot hatch" is being relatively affordable.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Badass car, but I feel like part of the persona of a "hot hatch" is being relatively affordable.
    +1
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX

No manual, no interest.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    At least it doesn't look like a Hyundai Elantra *cough*BWM link*cough*
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Completely agree. This is going to be crazy expensive. Most people who have $35 - 45k to spend on a car (just my guess at the price of this) don't want a hot hatch. They want something a little more refined, because they're not kids anymore. I know the STi falls into this price bracket, but I don't think Subaru sells that many of them each year. So this seems like a very small target market to me... unless I'm missing something. Also, I didn't see which wheels were driven as I skimmed over the text, but I hope it's not the front. That's too much power for front wheel drive. But Renault attempted a mid-engined Clio with a V6 and made it RWD, which was reportedly more than a handful through the corners. I think RWD in a short car is a bit twitchy.

However, I think it's a great looking car. It'd just look much more sporty if it were 3dr.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Eyew.

I am definitely selling my WRX to get this so I'll be able to park in handicap spots, never use a blinker and drive 5MPH under the speed limit in the left lane on the highway. Plus my neighbors will know I'm a douche by just looking in my driveway.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Hahaha that's so true. I agree on the price. Hot hatches should be affordable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Also, I didn't see which wheels were driven as I skimmed over the text, but I hope it's not the front. That's too much power for front wheel drive.
    It is AWD.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It is AWD.
    Thank you. Now I see it in the article. Hmm... a definite competitor to the STi?

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like a beefed up AWD GTI. I am curious what the price will be...AMG's have not been cheap in the past.

I Support ClubWRX
    I bet it will be $55k+
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Awwww Snap... the front bumper already comes pinstriped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast