New Corvette Stingray Unveiled
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Corvette Stingray Unveiled within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here comes the C7...I'm glad that Chevy continues to improve a world class sportscar, to offer a true manual (7 ...

I Support ClubWRX

Here comes the C7...I'm glad that Chevy continues to improve a world class sportscar, to offer a true manual (7 speed!) transmission, and to evolve their LS series of V8's, now starting at 450hp for the base.
    The styling may or may not be a little over-the-top...I'll need to see one in real life.

New Corvette Is A Sign Of The Times At GM - Forbes
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Website here:2014 Corvette Reveal | Chevrolet

Not keen on the exterior styling. it just looks a bit messy to me. Those tail lights remind me of the Camaro. And I don't like that. However, I think the interior looks really nice. 7 speed manual? I don't know what to think of that. Sounds unnecessary. But who knows, maybe it works.

I like it. I like the performance it offers at a non-supercar price.

However...I hate that they got away from the traditional quad circular tails. They do indeed look like the Camaro tails, which I dislike.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Not sure how I feel about the exterior. It may need to grow on me, but it looks too Ferrari/Viperish. Doesn't look like a Vette in my opinion. Now give me that drivetrain In a C6 or earlier and ill be happy.

I love my C6, I think these are going to take a long time to get used to, I hate the tails but the rest of the car looks like it came out pretty good. As for the 7 speed manual, I actually think it's suppose to have a 7 spd auto and a 6 spd manual.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    As for the 7 speed manual, I actually think it's suppose to have a 7 spd auto and a 6 spd manual.
    False. Chevy's own spec sheet on their website says 7-speed manual w/ Active rev-match, or a 6-speed flappy-paddle automatic.

I really want to love the Corvette line. It's supercar power and tech for Suburban money, but I just can't get excited about them, and I don't know why. I've ridden in a ZL1 around a track and it was easily the fastest and most powerful car I've been in, but that didn't really make me want one, weirdly. I will say, though, this 2014 model appears to be their best yet. Good for you, Chevy!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    As for the 7 speed manual, I actually think it's suppose to have a 7 spd auto and a 6 spd manual.
    7-speed manual is right there on Chevy's site. :shrug:

I'll give them credit for one thing...I feel like they were willing to take chances with the exterior, and try something perhaps a little bolder than the standard C5-C6'ish evolution. I did kinda like the circular taillamps, as a way of tracing back through the lineage...but who knows, I might think it's teh secks when I see it on the road for the first time.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX

Ford did the 7 speed manual first, heh...

Anything in the styling that reminds me of the 6 cylinder Corvette is correct. Anything else is not.

This might be an interesting car if the fuel economy and emissions are world class. I'm keeping an open mind. Go GM!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Website here:2014 Corvette Reveal | Chevrolet7 speed manual? I don't know what to think of that. Sounds unnecessary. But who knows, maybe it works.
    Well what do you expect anyone to do once they top out 6th gear?!
    Protect your ears! Follow NIOSH Guidelines to protect your hearing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe 6th gear is Warp Speed, and 7th opens a Transwarp Conduit?

Dunno. I've never really had a great need for more than 5 forward gears..but then, most of the fun I have in cars is <75mph. Perhaps for those that track their Corvette, the full gear range becomes useful..?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

Dunno. I've never really had a great need for more than 5 forward gears..but then, most of the fun I have in cars is <75mph. Perhaps for those that track their Corvette, the full gear range becomes useful..?
    Top Gear tested the Corvette a couple years ago, and they said the Corvette reached top speed in 5th gear, and that the 6th was just for efficiency, and actually brought down the top speed. It had so much torque, they could accelerate from zero in 5th gear, so they went from zero to 150 mph IN ONE GEAR!

I imagine the 7th gear is the same sort of thing here, and helps it get that 26+ hwy mpg it's supposed to get.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX

A 7spd would be even more useful if Chevrolet finally does the right thing and discontinues the large V8s in the Corvette, replacing them with a smaller 6.

Ford used their 7spd on a 2,0 L 4 cyl. The experience was described as "rowing with one hand and steering with the other." With a wider power band though it would be different.

Didn't GM use a "4+3" (auto though) in the 84+ Corvette?

Anyway, I'm all for innovation even if it sometimes seems its being done second, or for its own sake.

And I'd support a retro tail plus retro rear glass on new models.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

Yeah, that's about all I could think of - to achieve top speed. But even with 7 gears, in a car this powerful, 3rd must surely take it to 80mph (and most likely beyond). So on US roads, all you'd need is the first 3 gears to play with. I'm picturing an on-ramp to a freeway... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then straight to 7th for cruising. Whenever I've driven a 6-speed 'box, 5th gear has always gone unused as 4th takes you well beyond the speed limit (even in a MINI). For anyone who plans on using this car solely on public US roads, legally, *ahem*, now you'll have at least two unused gears.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was done more as a marketing move than out of mechanical necessity. Look - we're already talking about it! 7th gear just did its job.
    Last edited by Soobvirgin; 01-14-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    ...they said the Corvette reached top speed in 5th gear, and that the 6th was just for efficiency, and actually brought down the top speed.
    Well, that would prove my theory about achieving top speed to be nonsense then, wouldn't it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Look - we're already talking about it! 7th gear just did its job.
    Porsche has offered a 7-speed manual for quite some time on the 911. The Corvette isn't the first, although it's still a pretty novel concept.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.