New Corvette Stingray Unveiled - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Corvette Stingray Unveiled within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SD_GR A 7spd would be even more useful if Chevrolet finally does the right thing and discontinues ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A 7spd would be even more useful if Chevrolet finally does the right thing and discontinues the large V8s in the Corvette, replacing them with a smaller 6.
    I know you like your 6 cylinder Vettes, Spiro, but I have to say that I'm in the other camp on this one. My first memories of Vettes are of big-block rumble, and that's the way I like them. An acquaintance in high school had a 1970'ish Vette with a 427...it was, at that time, the meanest thing I'd ever heard in my life. Danged rich kids!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Porsche has offered a 7-speed manual for quite some time on the 911.
    Only since the 991 was announced for the 2012 model year, unless you're including the PDK "manual" mode.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure the 7 speed is there to appease those new gas mileage standards. And yes they did have a 4+3 in some of the c4's. I drove one once and remember thinking that it sucked. it was a 4 speed pattern and then you flipped a switch for the higher gears or something.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah..I drove a C4 a few years back, and was completely underwhelmed. It was a rattletrap (granted it was an older car, but still), the interior was a mess, and the performance was pretty lackluster. Of course, the bar for that was in a different place in 1986.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like a XLR-V had a hybrid offspring with a Ferrari. Maybe a good thing, it is hard to tell.

Agreed a V8 has to be there - more is more.
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-14-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX

New Corvette Stingray Unveiled

When the Japanese GT cars looked threatening initially (before they priced themselves out of the market...) there was a marketing meet-and-greet in California at a sports stadium parking lot. They used this as an excuse to ask customers (ZX, 3000GT, Supra, C4 existing owners and those pour souls that bought an RX7) a number of questions, most of which were at best misguided and struck me as spelling imminent trouble for the car industry. Example: do your golf clubs fit in the back, is it easy to enter and exit the car, would you recommend this to your colleagues etc. The cars that resulted were generally forgettable, and as the years went by I saw fewer and fewer on the road. They added tech for its own sake, looked too boy racer, and were somehow overdone and dreary at the same time.

I've no idea if the C4 successor could carry golf clubs despite the BBQ, auto cross, and clear Pepsi on hand (at the time, another useless tech - clear cola).

Those cars generally went extinct within the following 5 years. The Corvette soldiered on despite its faults and at one point it was a deal in the US (while being the same fish out of water or white elephant it's always been anywhere else in the world).

I want to like the Corvette. It's irrelevant and too provincial but it's been around so long I want to see it keep going. It's a bit like apple pie (I hope it escapes the fate of the iconic Twinkie).

A 6 cyl with a 7 speed, four round headlamps and a boat tail with a split rear window would be everything plus the kitchen sink. I'd want one!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corvette_c2_3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	111044
    They still haven't improved on this.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post

Oh, hell yeah. That's nice.

I Support ClubWRX
    it is a nice car, the 7 speeds seems fun
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Although I don't care for the rear end that much, after staring at pictures all day, I think I'm going to get one when they come out in the fall.

Crystal Pepsi was AWESOME. I miss that stuff.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post

And that is beautiful.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Ray would be the one to get all excited about a new Corvette

I like the design. Lots of lines. Only issue for me visually is the tailpipes. Looks sort of awkward with those 4 tips bunched together like that. I would have favored a boxy shaped exhaust to match the rear like the one on the Aventador. Got rid of the round tail lights, then should have gotten rid of the round exhaust too.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Wow, up close, I do not like dat ass at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wow, up close, I do not like dat ass at all.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast