Factory Five 818 (WRX-based, mid-engined kit car)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Factory Five 818 (WRX-based, mid-engined kit car) within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Pretty cool project coming out from the Factory Five team. Basically take a wrecked 02-07 WRX (non-STI), and swap over ...

I Support ClubWRX

Factory Five 818 (WRX-based, mid-engined kit car)

Pretty cool project coming out from the Factory Five team. Basically take a wrecked 02-07 WRX (non-STI), and swap over the running gear to this tubular chassis. The target total cost to build is $15k (including a donor car and the whole kit). They relocate the engine and transaxle to the rear (so the front axles become the rears, with the engine in the middle), then use a collar to disable the center diff. Any thoughts as far as reliability in that arrangement? I realize the idea is to save cost, but hmm...

1800lbs, WRX power, mid-engined, reasonable cost of entry? Yes please. If my bugeye meets an untimely death, it might be reborn as one of these some day.

New Technology: The latest Solidworks CAD technology is being used to design, test, and make the car. The body, chassis and sub-systems have been designed 100% on the computer. New technology in the design of tools and molds, and in the CNC manufacture of the frame and welded parts. New technology in the forming of composite body panels which enable a no-paint finish.

New Markets: It’s a global marketplace and the 818 is destined to bring the Factory Five experience to a whole new group of people, not just in the U.S., but all over the world. Designed to be affordable to build, right or left-hand drive capable, and with components that are readily available in other countries, the 818 is Factory Five’s first “World Car”. But it’s not just exporting the FFR experience to other countries… at the same time we are also inviting an entire new generation of Subaru-knowledgeable car-builders to the Factory Five community.

New levels of Performance: At a lithe 1800 lbs., (the 818 stands for 818 kg or 1800 lbs), the newest Factory Five has a performance envelope unlike any Factory Five to date. Benefitting from the latest technology in flow analysis, chassis and suspension tuning, and an optimized mid-engined design with proven Subaru boxer engine architecture, the 818 will redefine FUN driving.

When I was a student at The University of Wisconsin, there was an inscription above the Athletic Department stairway that led out onto the field at Camp Randall. I was on the Track and Field team there and once a week we would work out in the stadium. I would pass under these words:

“ A man’s reach should exceed his grasp”. Badger Pride.

I loved that quote and over the years I’ve made sure that our reach here at Factory Five has always exceeded our grasp. We’ve always set our sights high, and in so doing, have achieved great things. The goals of the new Factory Five 818 are 100% in line with this philosophy.

Sub 10 grand kit price, REAL complete car price under 15 grand, 1800 lbs. completed vehicle weight, World Class performance AND looks, and Engineered to be BUILT.
    Project 818 | | Factory Five RacingFactory Five Racing
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-01-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I wonder if its gonna be at SEMA. This things been in the works for like 2 years.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm.. and I have the donor car just sitting... waiting..

I was wanting to do a 917 swap, I figured it up to cost me about $12,000 in the end. I just don't have the time nor the money to partake such an endeavor right now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Hmmm.. and I have the donor car just sitting... waiting..

I was wanting to do a 917 swap, I figured it up to cost me about $12,000 in the end. I just don't have the time nor the money to partake such an endeavor right now.
    That's the thing: for a kit, it's very reasonably priced. However once you've built it, you can't actually drive it on the road. So it's a $15K track car that needs a $5K used truck and a $1K used trailer to get back and forth from the track events that can cost, what?, about $500/day all said, without fresh rubber? It's both affordable and expensive at the same time.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i want.....

seems perfect for Drews

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This has been my dream build for years - 1300 pounds, RWD, dedion, tube frame, mid engine, EJ compatible.

More like $30K though

Spyders | Dukes Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's the thing: for a kit, it's very reasonably priced. However once you've built it, you can't actually drive it on the road. So it's a $15K track car that needs a $5K used truck and a $1K used trailer to get back and forth from the track events that can cost, what?, about $500/day all said, without fresh rubber? It's both affordable and expensive at the same time.
    I thought people got these kinds of things registered all the time?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX

Bunch of subi powered goodness in this:

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar

DO WANT!
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I thought people got these kinds of things registered all the time?
    I have my doubts about CA.

However, the "Porsche" build has more promise if you can use a VW chassis at least to the extent that whatever you do use from that VW will land you only just clear of ship-of-Theseus territory. If the DMV agrees that there is enough pre 1975 VW in your vehicle, then it'll be a pre 1975 VW. This means Jerry doesn't care about emissions and in general, you're ready to roll.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am positive you could register this for street use in Oregon. The kit class registration is pretty lenient as long as it really is a kit car (i.e. don't try an R34 Skyline). Outside of the major cities, we don't have ANY emissions inspections.

The only issue I saw was it needs a top to be even remotely practical in Oregon. Digging a bit deeper into their site, I saw a rendering for a "street" version of this with a real windshield, and what looked like a Lotus Elise-esque T-top. That would do nicely.

My father in law is a huge Miata fan, but has been looking for a project. Based on his reaction when I sent this to him, he might have just found it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Wonder when you can start getting those shipped?

I Support ClubWRX
    You'd register it as a "custom-built vehicle" in NC; I've had to investigate it for my buggy. I can't speak for other states, but if there's any place that won't let you build that, while simultaneously allowing cars on the road with no driver, it would be California.

I think it's hot. I'll take mine in red.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    For half the price of the spyder, I could revise my thinking.

One thought though - if you drive this thing anywhere I'd expect to be pulled over regularly. This could be greatly ameliorated with a non-F1 size rear wing. Is that thing necessary outside of track use? I'm thinking you would have much more of a free pass with the Porsche.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast