Factory Five 818 (WRX-based, mid-engined kit car) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Factory Five 818 (WRX-based, mid-engined kit car) within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; According to my friend (cause I'm too lazy to look it up) there wouldn't be much problem with registering it ...

According to my friend (cause I'm too lazy to look it up) there wouldn't be much problem with registering it in PA.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Factory Five 818 (WRX-based, mid-engined kit car)

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You'd register it as a "custom-built vehicle" in NC; I've had to investigate it for my buggy. I can't speak for other states, but if there's any place that won't let you build that, while simultaneously allowing cars on the road with no driver, it would be California.
    That's my bet too though I'm unsure. As a side note, I look forward to cars without drivers. I drive a lot and there are two things I dislike about that: driving, and drivers. Getting rid of both in one step would be brilliant.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I was really just being snarky. I'm fascinated with autonomous car tech, and I think I may be fine with sharing the road with them...assuming it's implemented well.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's the thing: for a kit, it's very reasonably priced. However once you've built it, you can't actually drive it on the road. So it's a $15K track car that needs a $5K used truck and a $1K used trailer to get back and forth from the track events that can cost, what?, about $500/day all said, without fresh rubber? It's both affordable and expensive at the same time.
    Just use the title from the donor WRX. The only hiccup in that in Cali is finding someone to smog it, but there are ways.

In Cali they have a "kit car" title but they only hand out ~250 a year so you have to be on your game. You also need to smog them I believe to the year of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This has been my dream build for years - 1300 pounds, RWD, dedion, tube frame, mid engine, EJ compatible.

More like $30K though

Spyders | Dukes Garage

I thought people got these kinds of things registered all the time?
    One of my best friends business partners has one. He bought it used for $20,000. It needed a little interior sorting, (couple wiring issues, finishing touches) but the paint was done, and it runs good. I rode in it, damn those things are small, you'd better be comfortable with your passenger. His had a vw motor out of a van. He registered it here in Cali as a "kit car".
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

To use the WRX title you need enough of the WRX around though, wouldn't you? The smog cert does have to match the motor - in fact that is the only legal way to fit a catless up pipe in CA: transplant the entire motor from the later car, but with all the latter's smog kit, meaning you'd have to carry over the air pump. I think a new chassis in CA would be a chore whereas a Beetle would be smoother sailing.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    To use the WRX title you need enough of the WRX around though, wouldn't you? The smog cert does have to match the motor - in fact that is the only legal way to fit a catless up pipe in CA: transplant the entire motor from the later car, but with all the latter's smog kit, meaning you'd have to carry over the air pump. I think a new chassis in CA would be a chore whereas a Beetle would be smoother sailing.
    Can you remove the motor from the car, yet leave the chassis lying in your front yard?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Can you remove the motor from the car, yet leave the chassis lying in your front yard?
    Better ask Jimmy about that one...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX

Hah! I bet there are rules about that too.

I Support ClubWRX
    You would have a fair amount of the wrx in the new car and the only time it would get questioned was when you were pulled over, or for smog. In my mind its no different really than an extensive mod like a T-bucket, tube chassis baja bug, extensive offroad rig like a Toyota, Jeep, moon buggy etc. Hell in the off road world, it is very common that every component but the VIN plate gets replaced with something else over its life, and even that gets removed and reapplied.

I know people in the past were buying old titles for 32 roadsters and such to title their 32 kit cars.

To me what gets sketchy is swapping over the VIN plate. It is technically not legal, but is what would be required for it to be legal. Then you just have to carry over all your smog components from Evap, etc.

And technically to be legal, anything that has extensive fab work like custom hot rods, anything with engine swaps, etc., needs a Final Stage Vehicle Manufacturer Label to be road legal per the feds, or "special construction" titling which then you have to show proof to the DMV via an inspection.

I actually do Final Stage Vehicle MFG Labels at work all the time since we buy incomplete Cab/Chassis and up-fit them.

Its a gray area for sure, but you can take comfort in the fact that 99.9% of LE have no clue about most rules in the CVC. They all carry a laminated cheat sheet that is a "hit list" of the most common tickets. They'd be soo confused, that unless you had commited a felony they'd kick you loose.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

I believe it.

Ship of Theseus fraud is rarely enforced it seems. I think that hot rod guy with the TV show got busted, but the average Joe won't be. I think the show was "American Hotrod" years ago.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Ship of Theseus fraud
    Excellent philosophical segue!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I think CA officials are following the more western philosophy that if the ship has had all it's parts replaced, it's not the same ship. I found a link to the guy and the Ship of Theseus fraud case:

Garrett, Jerry (February 27, 2008). "Boyd Coddington, Hot Rod Hero, Dies at 63". New York Times. Retrieved April 26, 2010. In 2005, he was accused of fraud by the State of California for titling his custom-fabricated creations as "antique cars" to avoid emissions controls and tax obligations.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...ro-dies-at-63/

So that would be an issue for a CA owner wanting to use a Subaru VIN for that kit. I don't know if there are other routes one can take to legalize it. I'm sure the maker has run into this before since so many people, and so much money, come from CA.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think CA officials are following the more western philosophy that if the ship has had all it's parts replaced, it's not the same ship. I found a link to the guy and the Ship of Theseus fraud case:

Garrett, Jerry (February 27, 2008). "Boyd Coddington, Hot Rod Hero, Dies at 63". New York Times. Retrieved April 26, 2010. In 2005, he was accused of fraud by the State of California for titling his custom-fabricated creations as "antique cars" to avoid emissions controls and tax obligations.

Boyd Coddington, Hot Rod Hero, Dies at 63 - NYTimes.com

So that would be an issue for a CA owner wanting to use a Subaru VIN for that kit. I don't know if there are other routes one can take to legalize it. I'm sure the maker has run into this before since so many people, and so much money, come from CA.
    This is how you can above board do it, and what my buddy did with the porsche kit:
    California DMV Registration for Custom Built, Kit Cars, & More at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Basically you have to prove you own it, pass a brake and light inspection, the get a BAR referee to sign off on it. Not impossible, but not fun either.

I have friends with several BAR'd cars and each case is unique depending upon the referee. The BAR Referee will cut down on the cool factor as they require all emissions systems components from the old car to be used virtually in their entirety. This includes EVAP canister and system, Air box from donor vehicle, stock or approved exhaust components, sensors, etc.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like what my friend had done to a Canadian car. I had heard the stuff about fully intact emissions components before too. Thanks for the link, it's very interesting.

I couldn't seem to find the thread where someone was asking about converting to FWD for this application. I was curious to see if there was any progress there, because this car interests me. Oh well, this is just as good a place as any to post this up. I read this review a little while back and figured I'd share.
    Factory Five Racing 818 First Drive - Driving the Factory Five 818 Powered By Subaru - Road & Track

Also, I couldn't help but relate to this statement a little bit given your recent unfortunate recent situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    If my bugeye meets an untimely death, it might be reborn as one of these some day.
    One evening as I was loading some things into my car, I thought to myself "I should really put things in the trunk more often instead of the back seat in case I get in an accident" Not 40 minutes later I was in the market for a new car. Of course, I never figured I'd actually crash my car and I'm sure you felt the same way. Foreshadowing is a strange thing. I was both thankful for and quite startled by my instance of it.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.