Fresh-faced 2014 Subaru Forester revealed in JDM brochure scans
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fresh-faced 2014 Subaru Forester revealed in JDM brochure scans within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Fresh-faced 2014 Subaru Forester revealed in JDM brochure scans Upon its introduction for 2008, we couldn't help but feel that ...

I Support ClubWRX

Upon its introduction for 2008, we couldn't help but feel that the third-generation Forester was perhaps Subaru's most attractive design effort in many, many years. While there was little that was groundbreaking about the design, its simple two-box shape was – and is – clean and free of extraneous details. To be fair, the Japanese automaker has always been renowned more for their technological designs (e.g. all-wheel drive, boxer engines) than their aesthetic ones, but this Subaru was proper work. Thus, we've been awaiting the range's promised successor with more than a little trepidation – we've seen modest design tweaks undue the visual appeal of previous Subarus too many times. Judging by this early look courtesy of what look to be scans of a Japanese Domestic Market brochure, we needn't have been so concerned.

The new Forester is expected to carry a 2014 model year designation here in the U.S. when it goes on sale here next year, and it's almost certain to share its platform with the new-for-2012 Impreza and XV Crosstrek. Based off the measurements disclosed in the JDM brochure, the new Forester will ride on a modestly longer wheelbase (less than an inch longer than the 2012 model), be a bit longer (roughly 1.4-inches) and wider by under an inch. It will also stand a sliver taller, but such minor differences will likely be very tough to discern with the naked eye.

Up front, the Forester has a bluffer and more assertive face, with a markedly more aggressive lower fascia with what look like vertical slat vents adjacent to smaller, low-mounted fog lamps. Subaru's wing-form element has nestled into a boxier grille form – the outgoing model's chrome fillet and badge rode on the top edge of the grille, but here it slides down a bit, standing out more thanks to a dark mesh backdrop. Like the new Impreza, the Forester adopts a five-window greenhouse, with a small quarterlight up front and new door-mounted side mirrors. The rest of the two-box shape looks decidedly similar to the outgoing generation, but that's not a bad thing. Prominent fender flares and new wheels mark out the rest of the profile. Out back, there's a larger roof-mounted spoiler, new rear hatch skin and a fresh bumper cap as well.

What we can see of the dashboard in the grainy brochure image appears to be the same unit found in the Impreza, which is to say simple and frill-free. We're hoping there are some upgrades in the materials and center stack technology, as we found the Impreza's cabin to be honest but underwhelming.

In Japan, the Forester will apparently be available with the buyer's choice of a 146-horsepower, 2.0-liter four (yoked to either a six-speed manual gearbox or a Continuously Variable Transmission) or a 276-horsepower, 2.0-liter twin-scroll turbocharged four, the latter only available with a CVT. For those keeping score, the outgoing Forester is available in the U.S. with a pair of 2.5-liter engines, one with 170 hp and the turbocharged model with 224 hp. It isn't immediately clear what engine(s) will be available in the States, but we think it's unlikely that the JDM 2.0-liter will be offered, if only not to go "backwards" on the spec sheet in terms of power. Thus, it's reasonable to assume that the company's newer 2.5-liter FB flat-four will find a way underhood, and it offers 173 horses in today's Legacy.

While there's no official word on when this Forester will make its global debut, we expect it to be very soon, as reports have the car going on sale in Japan in mid-November.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As with most things, I guess I'll hold off on forming an opinion 'til I see one on the street.
    It's hard for me to imagine buying a new Forester...if I wanted the utilitarian value (a little ground clearance, AWD, capacity for backpacks), I'd probably buy an old one for half the price, or, better yet, buy a used Toyota truck. The XT has never been a draw for me.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Looks like a Hyundai
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    As always I don't care much for the look. I'll take the 276 HP. Our 2012 with 224 HP already seemed mighty adequate for a SUV. But 276 with better mpgs I'd take any day.

I love our XT. Its got most of the luxuries of higher end models for a fraction of the price. And I LOVE "Sport" mode Its quite the sleeper car IMO. All it needed improvement in was maybe some suspension upgrades & brakes.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Styling is very...meh.

Bump in power would be nice, although I have no idea how Subaru's CVT is.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Looks like a CRV to me. But since the Forester has never really been an attractive vehicle maybe that is not a bad thing. I have always liked the Forester though XT or not, back when all the other companies were competing to make bigger is better SUV's, Subaru was carving out some greatness in a smaller package. The XT makes a great sleeper, almost convinced my dad to buy one.... almost.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

Too rounded. One of the things I liked about the Forester of older, was the fact that it was more of a box. Made it seem more...rugged...I suppose. And I like that in an SUV.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, that is the spitting image of the Toyota RAV4 Sport:

vs:

It almost looks like Subaru just badge-engineered a RAV4 with a slightly modified fascia, but the window between the C and D pillars is slightly different, and the Forester doesn't have the spare tire mounted on the rear. Still, though...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

^^ that's kinda what I was thinking. The Forester used to be somewhat distinguishable, but now it's just a member of the crowd.
    - Will

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru must have constructed the new Forester from a new alloy containing 51% Meh and 49% Toyota.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Subaru must have constructed the new Forester from a new alloy containing 51% Meh and 49% Toyota.
    "Next up in automotive news: Subaru switches focus to FWD in-line fours citing 'beige is the new boxer' More at 11."

A 276hp turbo that is ONLY mated to a CVT? That's a weird call. I haven't tried Subaru's CVT, but the CVT in my wife's Honda feels "spongy", with basically no low end torque. I guess maybe a torquey turbo engine might compensate for that by sheer brute force, but that still seems like a lot of power for what I would consider to be a relatively weak drivetrain platform.

On a semi-related note, CVTs are a joy to work with on small engines (ATVs and the like) as they are dead-simple, easily tunable (via the springs and pulley ramps), and are pretty much maintenance-free, other than replacing worn belts now and then (a 5 minute job). I'm not so convinced of their application in cars. Although the efficiency benefits are undeniable, that comes at the cost of low torque (by it's nature, the transmission is always "geared" as high as possible) and an annoying lagging feeling (probably due to the lack of torque). I'm obviously not the only one who feels this way as Subaru, Honda, and other manufacturers all have options to hold a CVT at specific ratios letting you "downshift" in a sense. Our Honda does this through paddle shifters and some sort of servo actuator on the variable pulley. It effectively imitates a seven-speed sequential manual by letting you manually snap to 7 pre-set ratios. In sport mode, it will hold the "gears" clear up to redline, which on a Honda is sky-high. "Shifts" are very snappy, and it's the only reason I can tolerate driving that car for any great distance.
    Last edited by Rambo; 09-26-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I've not been in a Honda or Subaru car equipped with CVT, but my friend's Altima (with the 2.5 liter engine) actually feels pretty much like a normal car.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    As with most things, I guess I'll hold off on forming an opinion 'til I see one on the street.
    It's hard for me to imagine buying a new Forester...if I wanted the utilitarian value (a little ground clearance, AWD, capacity for backpacks), I'd probably buy an old one for half the price, or, better yet, buy a used Toyota truck. The XT has never been a draw for me.
    I used to think this too until I drove a few.. since then I've been much more inclined to find one used. New I agree, its too much unless it was going to be my dd. Then I could justify the cost but I'd have to have a toy on the side.

As for CVT.. now this will NOT be efficient, but you could probably tune one to keep the engine under load and in boost at peak torque rpm as far as you had variable ratio to do it. Imagine having full boost from say 5mph to 100mph and the rpm never changed? .. like how a snowmobile just keeps getting faster and faster at the same engine speed. .. No gears to break, less moving parts...

CVT is some nifty technology, but in the name of efficiency I'm sure we wont see any of the tuning for performance unless tuners start messing with powertrain control units as well as ecu's. The possibilities are endless as long as the hardware can hold the torque.
    Last edited by mangostick; 09-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

hahaha agree i like the older styles best

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove an '04 FXT. I'll admit that the umph was nice for getting 4 of us with backpacks around the mountains, but for whatever reason, an "enthusiast SUV" isn't the right formula for me. I would, however, pay some money to have my 1987 ToughSOB27mpgAwesomeclearance 4Runner back.

But then, you all know that I'm a weirdo. Obviously lots of people like the FXT.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast