Fresh-faced 2014 Subaru Forester revealed in JDM brochure scans - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fresh-faced 2014 Subaru Forester revealed in JDM brochure scans within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah, I recently had a Maxima SV loaner, and it had a CVT transmission. Absolutely hated it, but that's the ...

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Yeah, I recently had a Maxima SV loaner, and it had a CVT transmission. Absolutely hated it, but that's the direction Nissan is going, CVT in everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've now had the 2013 Impreza and the 2013 Forester as loaners.

I didn't terribly mind the CVT, once I got used to it. I do see how it could be useful, being able to stay in the powerband perpetually. I thought it made the car seem peppier than it was. Let's face it, it has very little power, so being able to keep the revs in the best spot throughout acceleration definitely was doing it a favor. That said, I did not really like driving the car. The steering and handling were garbage.

The Foz has an antiquated 4 speed auto trans, and it stinks. That said, the car still manages to feel peppy in city driving thanks to some low end torque, just don't gun it and watch the speedo, you'll be sadpanda. I think passing on the highway would probably be more trouble than it would be worth, as well. Steering and handling, though, are worlds better than the impreza. The foz feels nimble despite a good amount of body roll, the impreza did not despite having the roll more controlled.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    The CVT's that I've driven gave me the impression of driving a motorboat down the street. A great choice for a non-enthusiast car, due to efficiencies...but not for my fun car. I like actual gears. That I select. While I press down on a clutch with my foot.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I drove a loaner forrester today - feels like a bus - and I say that after being a JEEP driver for 20 years (wrangler, patriot, compass). I also hate automatic transmission and truly do have a hard time driving them.

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The Forester xT (with the turbo) loses the hood scoop (FMIC or water-cooled?), and a six-speed will be offered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    The fact that the XT only comes with a CVT is a dealbreaker for me..

Sources? Anyone have an official word on what transmission(s) it will be offered with?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Sources? Anyone have an official word on what transmission(s) it will be offered with?
    I had a link in that post to a Subaru press release. The 2.5L NA engine will have 6-speed manual and CVT options, while the XT Turbo will only have the CVT (with 6 and 8 speed selectable "gear" ratios). Why it offers 6 and 8 speed modes for the CVT, I don't know.

See link: 2014 Subaru Forester revealed ahead of LA debut

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    [MOVIE]
    Wow, that's fantastic! They benchmarked the new XT off the STI, and they're considering bringing the Forester STI to the US?!?! There is hope, after all...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I had a link in that post to a Subaru press release. The 2.5L NA engine will have 6-speed manual and CVT options, while the XT Turbo will only have the CVT (with 6 and 8 speed selectable "gear" ratios). Why it offers 6 and 8 speed modes for the CVT, I don't know.

See link: 2014 Subaru Forester revealed ahead of LA debut
    See, but in the link it says this:

The Forester will debut a new six-speed manual transmission and a Lineartronic continuously variable transmission. (The CVT includes either six- or eight-speed manual modes so you can swap through the 'gears'.)
    It doesn't specify which transmission(s) will be available in the regular fozzy vs the XT. I keep seeing them say a 6spd manual and the CVT, but I can't imagine why they'd offer the N/A fozzy with the manual but not the "enthusiast" XT model.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    See, but in the link it says this:

It doesn't specify which transmission(s) will be available in the regular fozzy vs the XT. I keep seeing them say a 6spd manual and the CVT, but I can't imagine why they'd offer the N/A fozzy with the manual but not the "enthusiast" XT model.
    Well, there could be a few reasons: Cost. Unless they developed an entirely new transmission for the Forester (doubtful), the six speed they'd probably be borrowing would be from the STI. Since the 2014 XT fully spec'd is $33k+, the STI gear might have been too costly. Mating the six-speed to the cheaper NA model might have been more cost-effective, who knows? Also, if the XT has any towing aspirations (kinda doubt it, but maybe), then I'd argue a autobox would be better suited to that than a six-speed.

Also, if that video is to be believed and they really did benchmark the new Fozzie against the STI, they might have the very real concern of
    cannibalizing WRX sales with a really hot Fozzie. Honestly, if it's as good as the video makes out, a hot Forester would be a more practical vehicle for me than a WRX, so if I didn't have to sacrifice much performance over the WRX/STI models, I'd probably give the Fozzie a very serious look.

Honda does this on their V6 models as well. You can get the 4-banger with a manual, but the V6 MUST be an autobox. I'm guessing packaging and cost are the reasons.
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-22-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Stranger things have happened.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Honda does this on their V6 models as well. You can get the 4-banger with a manual, but the V6 MUST be an autobox. I'm guessing packaging and cost are the reasons.
    You can still get the Accord V6 coupe with the 6-speed manual, last time I checked. Makes for a deceptively fun car, by most accounts.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You can still get the Accord V6 coupe with the 6-speed manual, last time I checked. Makes for a deceptively fun car, by most accounts.
    Definitely many much more funner and faster than a WRX. There's dynos to prove it!!1!

- Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Ah ok, yeah I see you can get the coupe with the V6 and manual, but not the sedan. I've never been interested in the Accord coupe (wife mandated four doors), so I didn't bother to check.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Well, this confirms the disappointment. 2014 Subaru Forester priced from $21,995*

I must say, I'm not a fan of the general trend of the higher trims/larger engines/etc... not being offered with a manual transmission.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

EDIT: As a side note, what causes the double post? I only clicked "post reply" once.
    Last edited by djk5077; 01-22-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast