Ford Focus ST... - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ford Focus ST... within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BrianH Since I now actually drive to work instead of just driving once in a while I ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Since I now actually drive to work instead of just driving once in a while I was looking for something a little more fun for a daily . . and have been eyeballing new toy cars as well. I thought I was sold on this as a fun commuter that would be good on MPG, functional as a hatch and a little bit of go when you mash the vertical pedal and was ready to buy one as soon as they came available. However, after seeing that Ford has stopped worrying about producing a better vehicle and instead spent their money and efforts on meddling with what's best for the internet, I don't intend on putting a dollar in their pocket anytime soon.

the car is def better (than previous gens) etc...... but damn i sure agree with you on the whole sync/internet bs
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

TLDR: Better choice for DD if you don't need AWD

I'll be buying a new car within a year to be my DD. This ST and the WRX are on the top of my list. I'm definitely leaning towards the ST though.

I live in California, where I don't need AWD to deal with snow. I do make a few Tahoe trips each winter, but I would usually take my brother's AWD crossover. Other than that, AWD is good for launching off the line. I am interested in getting some track time in, but it would be either autocross or circuit, not drag strip.

If you don't need AWD for snow or launching, then all it's doing is wasting gas through weight and more drivetrain loss.

The ST should hold similar power to a WRX from a roll (15 less hp, but just 3003 lbs), but we'll see what dynos actually say. It should be able to deliver that power reliably with its electronic torque vectoring system to reduce the symptoms of torque steer. It sounds to handle great based on this preview:

2013 Ford Focus ST First Ride - Feature - Car and Driver

It will get great gas mileage for the segment. The new Ford Escape with the same engine, but weighs ~3600lbs will get around 30mpg. It has a great interior with Recaro seats and Sync.

Of course keep in mind, most ST information is speculation. But driving dynamics, gas mileage, interior seem to all be wins. Power is there as well, just a hair below the MS3 and WRX, far ahead of the VW GTI, but just a hair below the MS3 and WRX. Less weight helps some though.

Euro spec sheet:

http://frankfurt2011.fordmedia.eu/do...T_Specs_EU.pdf

The last page shows hp/torque curves. I like the look of that max torque at 2k rpm. We'll see if it transfers over to the real world.
    Last edited by RedCyclone; 02-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Oh and also addressing a few concerns in this thread:

Yeah it doesn't have a true mechanical LSD, it will provide torque then brake the necessary individual wheel, such as an inner wheel in a turn. I'm not an expert so someone may correct on this topic. But the effect is the same as a mechanical LSD, but it is cheaper. Of course a true LSD is better, but not drastic. It would add to brake wear if you're pounding it through consecutive turns for an extended period of time. Many automakers use this type of system, including ones that supposedly handle well, like BMW. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but only the STI has LSD, and not the WRX?

Ford has spent some money tinkering with non performance things. They've been struggling with MyFordTouch issues, soon pushing out an update for that. But Sync is still fantastic. You can sync bluetooth to your phone, and say something like "Play artist: The Beatles." It will find The Beatles in your phone library and start playing, because it has speech-to-text. It has many other functions and they're implementing it to vehicles across the board. So they are committed to keeping it supported and rolling out new features. Soon to be on the Focus (currenly on other cars) is Applink, which applies voice commands to a select few (very few) apps such as Pandora. I wish they had a simple app mirroring without voice command though so that they could get some larger app support.

They have also been spending time tuning the sound on this car, which is a good thing to me though. But it probably won't sound like a nice 2.5 boxer.
    Last edited by RedCyclone; 02-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't speak for sure on the newer cars, but my Bugeye has an open front diff, viscous middle, and LSD in the rear. I know the latest generation has an open rear diff, not sure what prompted the change.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Don't current GTI's use braking to control torque steer? Or am I making that up.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I know the latest generation has an open rear diff, not sure what prompted the change.
    Cheaper (the equipment is already there) and achieves the same outcome.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quick soundbite of what the ST's tuned exhaust with cabin sound tube (like what the Miata has) sounds like. Not bad, but for as much as Ford hyped this up, it sounds bland to me. Listen and see what you think!

This is what the 2013 Ford Focus ST sounds like [w/audio]
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Quick soundbite of what the ST's tuned exhaust with cabin sound tube (like what the Miata has) sounds like. Not bad, but for as much as Ford hyped this up, it sounds bland to me. Listen and see what you think!

This is what the 2013 Ford Focus ST sounds like [w/audio]
    I have to agree with you, it's certainly not as special as the hype suggests. I will say though, I think it probably sounds better than the stock exhaust systems on the WRX and STi. Comparing our aftermarket exhausts vs Future ST aftermarket exhaust tho? I think we win that one hands down. That 2L just wont produce the same meaty growl and burble that ours will
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    That 2L just wont produce the same meaty growl and burble that ours will
    I think that may have something to do with design than displacement.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    yep. A set of EL headers and your subi sounds like any other I-4.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    +1

All it took was an H4 engine with UEL headers to make the Subaru 2.0L engine rumble.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Sounds to me like some of you should unsuscribe and get on the Focus Forum. I will take my WRX over an ST any day of the week. They say the greatest form of flattery is to copy. I am new to the WRX family but it appears to me that Subaru set the bar for which others are reaching.

Sorry if there's not enough blind brand loyalty and fanboys here for you. You'll find this is a pretty diverse community that likes all kinds of vehicles. Not just Subarus because they are the best evar, OMG rally car with street plates! Where's my monster stickaaaaaAR!?!

hahahahaha. You ignorant fool. No "blind brand loyalty or fanboys" here. You must have missed the part about me being new to the WRX family (meaning my statement about the ST were based purely on researching value for price). Your adolescent response doesn't protect the integrity of this forum, it only proves how ignorant and arrogant you are.

Yes, good point. Clearly I'm the arrogant and ignorant here.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast