I'm seriously geeking out over this car....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm seriously geeking out over this car.... within the New Cars/Prototypes Forums forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I love hot hatches having owned a Mini S and a Golf, but this one makes me smile and clap. ...

I Support ClubWRX

I'm seriously geeking out over this car....

I love hot hatches having owned a Mini S and a Golf, but this one makes me smile and clap. Anybody else?

Home | Fiat500Abarth.US

I'm hoping it comes with 180bhp. But if it doesn't I can make it that way, it has turbonium!

WANT!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Anything Abarth, I'm on board. I loved the old A112 Abarth and the 500 just looks great. Always loved the scorpion emblems too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

weighs just over a ton with 170hp.. its going to be a little rocket.

All this talk about the base Fiat 500 is moot anyway, considering we will have the Abarth available in 2012. Hopefully weighing close to the same amount, the Abarth should come with at least 170 hp (and possibly 185). Since none of the specifications have been released, we’ll have to guess at the exact numbers.

We’ll be using the reasonable 170 hp for the power. For the weight, let’s look at historical data. We know the Fiat 500 Sport weighs 2363 lbs. The European Abarth is somewhere between 2000 and 2300 pounds, depending on the source. Since the 500 added roughly 100 pounds for additional safety features when it came to the states, its likely the Abarth will need to gain just as much. That would put it at roughly 2400 lbs.

Based on those numbers, the power to weight ratio of the US Fiat 500 Abarth would be 138 hp/t. Not bad for $21k!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice .For the price & the amount of performance it sounds like a steal.We have a lot of Fiats around here now,It's like the new in-car in NYC,taking over from that stupid Smart car.Easy to park,priced just right.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I wouldn't be surprised this this little guy in any trim starts giving the mini car market a good run for its money. As long as they hold up reliability wise.. they'll be set.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    As long as they hold up reliability wise...
    Fiats have come a long way but I don't know if they've arrived. On the other hand BMW were there and left, so maybe the two will meet somewhere in the middle and end up comparable in (un?)reliability.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The MINI was an insanely fun car. I loved my 05 S, and granted it wasn't as fast as the Subi, but it handled better out of the box and gave more smiles per gallon. Plus parking was awesome. Never had to worry about door dings. Fuel economy was great. Paid slightly less than my subi for the MINI, $23500 OTD for MINI $25600 for subi. The abarth is supposed to MSRP around $21500 which would put it dead on price wise with where the MINI S used to be. The new MINI S is about $1500-$2000 more expensive base price than mine was.

Fun, flickable, maneuverable commuter.

MY main complaints about my old MINI were the lack of torque with the SC'd engine, and the gauge arrangement with the ridiculous big center dial. They fixed the SC by replacing it with a turbo in 2007, but the dial still carries over and there is no "delete" option.

I'd look at another VW, but they have seemed to fall and bonk their head with their $27k base price for a GTI. Especially since the once nice light nimble GTI has become a 3000lb+ piggy.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Fiats have come a long way but I don't know if they've arrived. On the other hand BMW were there and left, so maybe the two will meet somewhere in the middle and end up comparable in (un?)reliability.
    The new MINI has suffered a host of electrical gremlin issues and has had its share of drivetrain related problems. Part of the reason I sold mine was people were starting to have expensive issues outside of warranty. I got rid of mine before the warranty period expired, no regrets.

The 500 has sold like hotcakes in europe and earned rave reviews includig car of the year. Its had a 5 year production run thus far, I'd be willing to roll the dice.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I'm greatly looking forward to a trend of smaller/nimble/efficient cars vs the "bigger is better" that we've had growing like cancer since the us automobile became affordable to John Q Public.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm amazed more Abarths aren't being wrecked. The Punto GT with 130 HP used a small turbo (it was only 1.4L) but if pushed it would plow and then snap around, and it caught lots of people out. The Abarth is smaller, lighter, and with more power, so either people learned to drive (heh...) or somebody is doing great chassis development.

I'm really looking forward to the Abarth coming to the United States.

drove these in rome when i was studying abroad last year. they were a blast to drive, cherry hill subaru has fiat 500s next door and i am always tempted to go there just to drive them again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very cool; I'd love to give one of those things a drive.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Test drove the new 500 and it was a fun car, obviously nothing to brag about performance wise but if it wasn't for the 3.5 year old twin I carry around with me daily I'd of bought the gf one..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm amazed more Abarths aren't being wrecked. The Punto GT with 130 HP used a small turbo (it was only 1.4L) but if pushed it would plow and then snap around, and it caught lots of people out. The Abarth is smaller, lighter, and with more power, so either people learned to drive (heh...) or somebody is doing great chassis development.
    The new 500 uses the non-turbo 1.4L. It is speculated that the abarth here in the US will be the 130hp 1.4L turbo and ~2400lbs.

From what I read FIAT put some "torque vectoring" system in place to help counteract this problem. Similar to a multiwheel traction control.

I will say that the factory DTC/DSC on my MINI S was atrocious. It was more dangerous than helpful. At the sign of wheel spin to either of the front wheels, it shut all the power off.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 08-30-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.